midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps Paul is making reference to the fact that God blinded the eyes and hardened the hearts of His chosen people and sent His apostles to the Gentiles.
Then after the time of the gentiles is full, all of Israel will be saved.
I'm not well studied on such things. That just came to mind when I read the above quote.
Yet those chosen by God through grace have obtained it, while the others were hardened. Rom 11:7

They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Eph 4:18

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced those whose hearts were hardened are not being preserved until all the gentiles who believe are saved and " Then all of Israel will be saved".
Well then they better get with the program.

“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”

But to those who reject Christ, they stumble over the word because they refused to believe; 1 Peter 2:6-9

The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in Me. John 16:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 11 refers to the Jews whose hearts were hardened and whose eyes were blinded by God.

Ephesians 4:18 referes to the Gentiles whose hearts are hardened by their own ignorance.
Six of one half dozen of the other.

We have already established that all people, whether Jews or Gentiles, are under the power of sin. As the Scriptures say,...
They have all become useless...the way of peace they do not know. Rom 3:9-17

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟67,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Six of one half dozen of the other.

We have already established that all people, whether Jews or Gentiles, are under the power of sin. As the Scriptures say,...
They have all become useless...the way of peace they do not know. Rom 3:9-17
My comments were in reference to your post quoting Hebrews 9:28. Post # 52

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point was lost.
Perhaps it wasn't really worth considering.
To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things...2 Peter 1:1-3

For God will fully supply your every need according to his glorious riches in the Messiah Jesus. Phil 4:19

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation... Heb 9:28

For in this hope we were saved. But hopes for what they already have? Rom 8:24

Whoever has the Son has life; 1 John 5:12
Will you explain what HOPE means in Rom 8:24 or your thoughts on 1 Cor 13:13 ?

dan p

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will you explain what HOPE means in Rom 8:24 or your thoughts on 1 Cor 13:13 ?
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, ...shielded by the power of God through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed...1 Peter 1:3-5

Therefore rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 1 Peter 1:10-13

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will you explain or a hint as to why you consider it an addendum to Galatians ??

dan p
Wow, it's just stuff I read 50 years ago about Judiazers and a reference to some "large letters" he wrote to them. Galatians is not that large a letter. However, if Hebrews were tacked on the back, then that would qualify as a "large letter" sent to all the churches in Galatia.
Something I found from the DETROIT BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY.

"Essentially, Witherington tries to explain why Hebrews shows up next to Galatians in some of the early canon lists (e.g., in the Sahidic NT). He thinks the order can be explained by the fact that the two documents share many similar features, from, e.g., rare vocabulary (e.g., πηλίκος in Gal 6:11 and Heb 7:4), to the use of similar trads. (cf. Gal 3:19 with Heb 2:2), a similar play on the ambivalence of διαθήκη (“covenant” or “will”; cf. Gal 3:15–17 with Heb 9:15–17—I think he’s wrong about Heb here), and, above all, to their similar emphasis on Jesus’ faithfulness (cf. Gal 2:16; 3:22 with, e.g. Heb 12:2—I’m not sure about the way he reads Gal here). Witherington’s conclusion—“the author of Hebrews may well have been part of the larger Pauline circle”—however, wasn’t as interesting to me as was his failure to note what I had thought was the most conspicuous similarity between the letters (though see the hint on 148): both marginalize the law-covenant with a salvation-historical hermeneutic."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, it's just stuff I read 50 years ago about Judiazers and a reference to some "large letters" he wrote to them. Galatians is not that large a letter. However, if Hebrews were tacked on the back, then that would qualify as a "large letter" sent to all the churches in Galatia.
Something I found from the DETROIT BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY.

"Essentially, Witherington tries to explain why Hebrews shows up next to Galatians in some of the early canon lists (e.g., in the Sahidic NT). He thinks the order can be explained by the fact that the two documents share many similar features, from, e.g., rare vocabulary (e.g., πηλίκος in Gal 6:11 and Heb 7:4), to the use of similar trads. (cf. Gal 3:19 with Heb 2:2), a similar play on the ambivalence of διαθήκη (“covenant” or “will”; cf. Gal 3:15–17 with Heb 9:15–17—I think he’s wrong about Heb here), and, above all, to their similar emphasis on Jesus’ faithfulness (cf. Gal 2:16; 3:22 with, e.g. Heb 12:2—I’m not sure about the way he reads Gal here). Witherington’s conclusion—“the author of Hebrews may well have been part of the larger Pauline circle”—however, wasn’t as interesting to me as was his failure to note what I had thought was the most conspicuous similarity between the letters (though see the hint on 148): both marginalize the law-covenant with a salvation-historical hermeneutic."
I will stay with what was written in 2 Peter 2:16 because Paul new what the OT SAID and was circumcised , a Jew , concerning the LAW a Pharisee and concerning the LAW FAULTLESS .

In which things that Paul wrote some things are HARD to be under stood , EVEN Misunderstood EVEN TODAY , which they that are UNLEARNED , and UNSTABLE , WREST as also the other Scriptures , unto their own DESTRUCTION , nothing NEW HERE .

dan p

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will stay with what was written in 2 Peter 2:16 because Paul new what the OT SAID and was circumcised , a Jew , concerning the LAW a Pharisee and concerning the LAW FAULTLESS .

In which things that Paul wrote some things are HARD to be under stood , EVEN Misunderstood EVEN TODAY , which they that are UNLEARNED , and UNSTABLE , WREST as also the other Scriptures , unto their own DESTRUCTION , nothing NEW HERE .

dan p
Ok...
Not sure what that has to do with the relationship between Galatians and Hebrews. But I am good with that.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well then they better get with the program.

“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”

But to those who reject Christ, they stumble over the word because they refused to believe; 1 Peter 2:6-9

The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in Me. John 16:9
And your quotes is speaking about Israel !!

#1 One is the word ZION is talking about Israel .

#2 And the cornerstone in 1 Peter 2:6 , BUT verse 7 , but were DISOBEDIENT and DISALLOWED and in verse 8 became a STONE of STUMBLING , to Israel .

# 3 And in 1 Cor 3:10 and 11 Paul LAID the Foundation for those saved by GRACE .

dan p

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And your quotes is speaking about Israel !!
#1 One is the word ZION is talking about Israel .
#2 And the cornerstone in 1 Peter 2:6 , BUT verse 7 , but were DISOBEDIENT and DISALLOWED and in verse 8 became a STONE of STUMBLING , to Israel .
# 3 And in 1 Cor 3:10 and 11 Paul LAID the Foundation for those saved by GRACE .
After all, not all of the people of Israel are the true people of God...but it is the children of the promise Rom 9:6-8
For he said, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,..." Rom 9:15
“In the place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘children of the living God' Rom 9:26

“The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone, ...
Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God;
once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 Peter 2:7-10

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟199,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After all, not all of the people of Israel are the true people of God...but it is the children of the promise Rom 9:6-8
For he said, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,..." Rom 9:15
“In the place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘children of the living God' Rom 9:26

“The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone, ...
Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God;
once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 Peter 2:7-10
And who YOU BELIEVE is the true CORNER STONE for today ?

The CORNR STONE that 1 Peter 2:6 and 7 , 8 that he taught OR ?? Which Was rejected by Israel

Is it the FOUNDATION of the same Kind no one is able to LAY besides the one being set , Who is Christ Jesus ??

Since Israel has been SET ASIDE , that only LEAVES what Paul , taught i 1 Cor 3:10-- 16 !!

dan p

Upvote 0