Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,192.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity does not prove the existence of God. Some people even state that Jesus was fictitious. Pls provide me with evidence. The Bible does not prove anything to me.

Then why are you on a Christian forum?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Christianity does not prove the existence of God. Some people even state that Jesus was fictitious. Pls provide me with evidence. The Bible does not prove anything to me.

Again, you do not need proof that something is true to believe it. All you need is sufficient evidence. For example, if you friend tells you he will meet you at a coffee shop at 10 sharp, you believe him even though you don't have proof that he will.

Watch this video. These are facts that pretty much every relevant scholar believes there is very good evidence for.

Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
This passage from Romans 1 indicates all men have a built-in knowledge of God

Romans 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Why do Christians always make reference to the wrath of God? Give me an example of that in today's world; not some story from the Bible.

The above comment states that everyone should be aware of God's invisible attributes but which god? I'm not saying there is no god but creation doesn't point to anything other than a designer. It says nothing about what God wants from us.
God holds all men responsible for their refusal to acknowledge what He has shown them of Himself in His creation. Even those who have never had an opportunity to hear the gospel, have received a clear witness about the existence and character of God and have suppressed it.
What character?
This passage from Romans 2 indicates we all possess a knowledge of basic morality.

Romans 2:4-5 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them.

In other words, you don’t have to be a Christian to believe in God, or believe that there is a right and wrong way to see and do things.
I agree that we do have an innate sense of right and wrong. Do not harm another is common sense. Do not kill, steal etc., the same, but it is not clear cut. Each sin would have to be judged individually. Stealing from desperate poverty and stealing from greed are not the same. You may argue that it comes from God but that doesn't explain the whole idea of salvation etc. I still can't get my head around why God would create humanity in order to save some but not others. Is this some kind of sick game? Why create humanity at all, for what purpose? It wouldn't bother me at all if I had not been born. Why would God do that? People get scammed constantly in our world and religions are no better. Not all religions can be right but they can all be wrong.

Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Then why are you on a Christian forum?
Because I enjoy debating this particular topic. I'm open to new ideas but they have to make sense and all I get are quotes from the Bible etc. or some historical account that proves nothing. I'm not a lost soul either as I have my own views on the nature of reality and have no fear of God's wrath or death either. I live my life according to my conscience but I do believe we have no individual free will. Life is what it is, and we can all find peace within ourselves despite what else is going on.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because I enjoy debating this particular topic. I'm open to new ideas but they have to make sense and all I get are quotes from the Bible etc. or some historical account that proves nothing. I'm not a lost soul either as I have my own views on the nature of reality and have no fear of God's wrath or death either. I live my life according to my conscience but I do believe we have no individual free will. Life is what it is, and we can all find peace within ourselves despite what else is going on.

This is not a debate section for atheists to play in, I'm sorry to say.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,192.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Thing is my friend, Christianity and the Bible go hand in hand! You wont find any Christian who doesnt lean on the word of God.

Believing in God is primarily all about faith.

Free will is very real. I dont know how you can say or prove otherwise?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟108,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"free will" is a false doctrine christendom uses to justify their self-righteousness with ...

Reactions: Aubergine99
Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Thing is my friend, Christianity and the Bible go hand in hand! You wont find any Christian who doesnt lean on the word of God.
Alleged word of God. No proof I'm afraid.
Believing in God is primarily all about faith.
Yes, I've said that in my previous comments. It has to be or it would all fall apart, like it did for me. I was brought up as a R. Catholic but have since seen the light.
Free will is very real. I dont know how you can say or prove otherwise?
Again, wrong. I've mentioned that in my previous comments. We have no choice but to act the way we do. It's all determined. On a very simple level, we have no control over our thoughts; if we did, we could choose to only ever have happy thoughts. Try just for 5 mins to have absolutely no thoughts; good luck with that. Whatever control you think you have is an illusion.

Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Again, you do not need proof that something is true to believe it. All you need is sufficient evidence. For example, if you friend tells you he will meet you at a coffee shop at 10 sharp, you believe him even though you don't have proof that he will.
That's not a fair comparison. I know my friend well enough to trust them. As yet, I know nothing about the Christian God other than what people tell me. I need a ton of evidence of the latter.
Watch this video. These are facts that pretty much every relevant scholar believes there is very good evidence for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe debate is not the right word. Discussion is better.

It's so good to know that atheists are "the better readers" these days ...

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's not a fair comparison. I know my friend well enough to trust them. As yet, I know nothing about the Christian God other than what people tell me. I need a ton of evidence of the latter.

Watch the video. If you can't take what the experts in the field believe, then you have no reason to believe any scientific results you have not personally done or if you don't know the people personally who conducted the experiments. It would lead to being skeptical about a lot of things unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married

Just because the apostles believed in the resurrection is meaningless. I'm not interested in that kind of second-hand evidence. Direct evidence, yes. If God wants me to believe, he can arrange that.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good for the Pharisees but this is not helpful.

And you are not being honest with your arguments. Tell me why we should not use the Bible as evidence for anything when archeologists use the Gospels and Acts a lot when doing digs in Israel.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have asked these two questions many times to Christians and no one can answer me, so here goes:

If God is omniscient, why would he create atheists, knowing full well that they will never believe in him? and
Why would he then cast them into eternal hellfire?
Point of information:

Your premise is factually flawed. I was an atheist [technically, I was Nihilist ... not only is there no God, but there is no ultimate "meaning" or "morality" - everything is subjective. Killing a baby or eating a sandwich are just actions, there is no "right or wrong" in either action.] and God chose to save me.

So your question is built on a false assumption.

Upvote 0

Aubergine99

Aug 23, 2023
Brighton
✟932.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
And you are not being honest with your arguments. Tell me why we should not use the Bible as evidence for anything when archeologists use the Gospels and Acts a lot when doing digs in Israel.
There may well be some truths in the Bible but let's not forget it was written by several men and at different times. I haven't the time or inclination for Bible study but it's open to misunderstanding and misinterpretation and essentially it is second-hand knowledge. Why is it claimed to be the word of God if written by mere men? It isn't foolproof.

So far, no one has come up with proper evidence which is much as I thought but the story of salvation just makes no sense to me. I guess this conversation has come to an end.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,192.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Alleged word of God. No proof I'm afraid.

Yes, I've said that in my previous comments. It has to be or it would all fall apart, like it did for me. I was brought up as a R. Catholic but have since seen the light.

Again, wrong. I've mentioned that in my previous comments. We have no choice but to act the way we do. It's all determined. On a very simple level, we have no control over our thoughts; if we did, we could choose to only ever have happy thoughts. Try just for 5 mins to have absolutely no thoughts; good luck with that. Whatever control you think you have is an illusion.

There many many proofs. Many thousands of miracles. God does exist.

You have been taken away from your faith. You need to find your way back my friend.

McDonalds of Burger king? Free will or not your choice?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.