✟27,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
From A.W. Pink's First John, 1 John 1:1 - 3:1, chapter 6, 1951-52
(I feel a bit guilty of the first paragraph here, though it is what the LORD shows me often, and I also speak of rejoicing when we see such things because rather than become depressed or scared, we have assurance that we shall be delivered, and that Christ's return is sooner than before. "And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up and lift up your heads, for your redemption draweth nigh" (Luke 21:28)

Space will permit us to name only two or three of the principal hindrances. Prominent among them is a defective ministry. In view of our text we place this first. How few ministers could warrantably say, “These things preach we unto you that your joy may be full!” What numbers of them are almost for ever talking about the increased wickedness which is in the world, the likelihood of another war, the menace of the atom bomb, or the waning spirituality of the churches—things that tend to horrify rather than edify, to depress rather than delight their hearers. Many others confine themselves very largely to a dwelling upon the shortcomings and failures of God’s people as though it were most desirable for them to cherish doubts and fears. Others are all for the performance of duty and discharge of obligations which, if stressed disproportionately, can but promote a proud and legal spirit. There is so very little of that preaching of Christ, which draws out the renewed heart unto Him, which leads to a closer walking and more intimate communing with Him, and which not only fills the saints with joy but at the same time instills a deep abhorrence of sin and inspires a stronger desire to honour and please Him.

Second, the lack in many Christians of a definite assurance of their acceptance. How can one experience the peace of being reconciled to God, or the joy of knowing his sins are forgiven, while he be constantly debating whether or not he be His child? Not a few of His people dishonour the Father’s gift to them of His Son, in whom they have redemption and eternal life, by not estimating that gift at its true value. They do not take God at His word and believe that the death of Christ has cancelled all the guilt of His people, that He will by no means cast out any sinner who comes to Him for salvation, and that through Him they have full access and welcome to the Father’s house and heart. They have not really learnt the first lesson of the Gospel—the sufficiency of the divine love. “Not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1Jo 4:9-10); and consequently they withhold from Him that full confidence which the manifestation of such love calls for, and which He delights to receive from those upon whom He has bestowed such favours.

Third, even when a Christian is well assured of his salvation he may dim and dampen the joy of it by failing to walk as a child of light (Eph 5:8). To do so he must cast off the “unfruitful works of darkness,” so far and so soon as he discovers them to be such. God hates sin, and sent His Son to save us from our sins. If then we turn again to folly, yield to the lusts of the flesh, and “allow” evil in our hearts and lives, then the Holy One will withdraw from us the light of His countenance. Yet even in this case He has made most gracious provision for our immediate and complete restoration to the knowledge of His favour and the joy of His smile: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1Jo 1:9). The moment any emotion, thought or deed is revealed to us as sin, we should penitently confess the same and then rejoice in the divine declaration that the blood of Christ has washed away all the stain of it. Thus if we live up to our holy privilege, not even our sins should cloud the sunshine of God’s love or destroy the happy consciousness that He dwells in us and we in Him.

When John penned the words, “These things write we unto you, that your joy may be full,” it is highly probable that he had in mind those statements which he had heard from his Master: “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy may be full” (Joh 15:11), “These things speak I in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves” (Joh 17:13). It is to be carefully observed that both these utterances fell from the lips of the Saviour upon the night of His betrayal. Very remarkable and blessed is it to hear Him—with the terrible crucifixion staring Him in the face—speaking of His joy. What a proof that spiritual joy is in no wise created or regulated by circumstances or external conditions!