Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it's more about one's relationship with Him than man's controversial religious theology.

Then He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Relationship possible through Christ with Yahweh is important, and I don't think of neglecting what Yahweh said for us

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is from Wouter vd Heever Ph.D: M.Th; B-Min.

The name of God is shown as Yud Hey Vav Hey.

A short Hebrew lesson to understand the correct pronunciation of the name. Understanding Hebrew is important to understand the forming of words and their pronunciation. When the letter vav appears in the middle of a word, the sound changes from a 'v' to 'u' or 'oo'.

God's name would pronounce like this, Ya-hoo-eh. Saying it faster produces the sound of "Yahweh".

The ancient Greek writing with God's name with their letters, showing the vowel sounds but their own difficulty with Hebrew pronunciation of consonants, is with their closest approximations, which are consistent with this.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

A short Hebrew lesson to understand the correct pronunciation of the name. Understanding Hebrew is important to understand the forming of words and their pronunciation. When the letter vav appears in the middle of a word, the sound changes from a 'v' to 'u' or 'oo'.

God's name would pronounce like this, Ya-hoo-eh. Saying it faster produces the sound of "Yahweh".

The ancient Greek writing with God's name with their letters, showing the vowel sounds but their own difficulty with Hebrew pronunciation of consonants, is with their closest approximations, which are consistent with this.
Except YaH is not a theophoric prefix in Hebrew so that is wrong. YeHo is correct. So is it YeHoWaH? W is arabic. Yahooeh does NOT sound like Yahweh, it sounds more like yehooah...3 syllables, not 2.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Names of God 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
In appearance, Yhwh (
V09p160004.jpg
) is the third person singular imperfect "ḳal" of the verb
V09p160005.jpg
("to be"), meaning, therefore, "He is," or "He will be," or, perhaps, "He lives," the root idea of the word being,probably, "to blow," "to breathe," and hence, "to live." With this explanation agrees the meaning of the name given in Ex. iii. 14, where God is represented as speaking, and hence as using the first person—"I am" (
V09p161001.jpg
, from
V09p161002.jpg
, the later equivalent of the archaic stem
V09p161003.jpg
). The meaning would, therefore, be "He who is self-existing, self-sufficient," or, more concretely, "He who lives," the abstract conception of pure existence being foreign to Hebrew thought....
If the explanation of the form above given be the true one, the original pronunciation must have been Yahweh (yhwh) or Yahaweh (yhwh). From this the contracted form Jah or Yah (yh) is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (yho), and Jo or Yo (yh, contracted from yho), which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah (yho) in the second part of such names. The fact may also be mentioned that in Samaritan poetry yhwh rimes with words similar in ending to Yahweh, and Theodoret ("Quæst. 15 in Exodum") states that the Samaritans pronounced the name 'Iαβέ. Epiphanius ascribes the same pronunciation to an early Christian sect. Clement of Alexandria, still more exactly, pronounces 'Iαουέ or 'Iαουαί, and Origen, 'Iα. Aquila wrote the name in archaic Hebrew letters. In the Jewish-Egyptian magic-papyri it appears as Ιαωουηε. At least as early as the third century B.C. the name seems to have been regarded by the Jews as a "nomen ineffabile," on the basis of a somewhat extreme interpretation of Ex. xx. 7 and Lev. xxiv. 11 (see Philo, "De Vita Mosis," iii. 519, 529). Written only in consonants, the true pronunciation was forgotten by them. The Septuagint, and after it the New Testament, invariably render δκύριος ("the Lord").

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Such as????

These ancient writers:

Diodorus Siculus writes Jao (I, 94);

Irenaeus ("Adv. Haer.", II, xxxv, 3, in P. G., VII, col. 840), Jaoth;

the Valentinian heretics (Irenaeus, "Adv. Haer.", I, iv, 1, in P.G., VII, col. 481), Jao;

Clement of Alexandria ("Strom.", V, 6, in P.G., IX, col. 60), Jaou;

Origen ("in Joh.", II, 1, in P.G., XIV, col. 105), Jao;

Porphyry (Eusebius, "Praep. evang", I, ix, in P.G., XXI, col. 72), Jeuo;

Epiphanius ("Adv. Haer.", I, iii, 40, in P.G., XLI, col. 685), Ja or Jabe;

Pseudo-Jerome ("Breviarium in Pss.", in P.L., XXVI, 828), Jaho ;

the Samaritans (Theodoret, in "Ex. quaest.", xv, in P.G., LXXX, col. 244), Jabe;

James of [Edessa][] (cf. Lamy, "La science catholique", 1891, p. 196), Jehjeh;

Jerome ("Ep. xxv ad Marcell.", in P. L., XXII, col. 429) speaks of certain ignorant Greek writers who transcribed the Hebrew Divine name.

The judicious reader can perceive that the Samaritan pronunciation Jabe probably approaches the real sound of the Divine name closest; the other early writers transmit only abbreviations or corruptions of the sacred name. Inserting the vowels of Jabe into the original Hebrew consonant text, we obtain the form Jahveh (Yahweh), which has been generally accepted by modern scholars as the true pronunciation of the Divine name. It is not merely closely connected with the pronunciation of the ancient synagogue by means of the Samaritan tradition, but it also allows the legitimate derivation of all the abbreviations of the sacred name in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
These ancient writers:

Diodorus Siculus writes Jao (I, 94);

Irenaeus ("Adv. Haer.", II, xxxv, 3, in P. G., VII, col. 840), Jaoth;

the Valentinian heretics (Irenaeus, "Adv. Haer.", I, iv, 1, in P.G., VII, col. 481), Jao;

Clement of Alexandria ("Strom.", V, 6, in P.G., IX, col. 60), Jaou;

Origen ("in Joh.", II, 1, in P.G., XIV, col. 105), Jao;

Porphyry (Eusebius, "Praep. evang", I, ix, in P.G., XXI, col. 72), Jeuo;

Epiphanius ("Adv. Haer.", I, iii, 40, in P.G., XLI, col. 685), Ja or Jabe;

Pseudo-Jerome ("Breviarium in Pss.", in P.L., XXVI, 828), Jaho ;

the Samaritans (Theodoret, in "Ex. quaest.", xv, in P.G., LXXX, col. 244), Jabe;

James of [Edessa][] (cf. Lamy, "La science catholique", 1891, p. 196), Jehjeh;

Jerome ("Ep. xxv ad Marcell.", in P. L., XXII, col. 429) speaks of certain ignorant Greek writers who transcribed the Hebrew Divine name.

The judicious reader can perceive that the Samaritan pronunciation Jabe probably approaches the real sound of the Divine name closest; the other early writers transmit only abbreviations or corruptions of the sacred name. Inserting the vowels of Jabe into the original Hebrew consonant text, we obtain the form Jahveh (Yahweh), which has been generally accepted by modern scholars as the true pronunciation of the Divine name. It is not merely closely connected with the pronunciation of the ancient synagogue by means of the Samaritan tradition, but it also allows the legitimate derivation of all the abbreviations of the sacred name in the Old Testament.
Well no, they do not. However, you should research that Samaritan usage. You might want to read John 4:22. It is actually Jupiter. Joveh. Yoveh. You also need to understand how YaH came about. It was a poetic abreviation/contraction of The Name. Yah is never used as a prefix in Hebrew. YeHo and Yo are used.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well no, they do not. However, you should research that Samaritan usage. You might want to read John 4:22. It is actually Jupiter. Joveh. Yoveh. You also need to understand how YaH came about. It was a poetic abreviation/contraction of The Name. Yah is never used as a prefix in Hebrew. YeHo and Yo are used.

I am not one who tells others how they are wrong and that they need to say the name God revealed that I speak of, this is showing in all this discussion. If you pronounce the name of God as you will I see it is your belief with your understanding, and there is no need to argue about it. But being questioned about my basis to understand the name to be remembered was pronounced like 'Yahweh', I show it adequately. So my pronunciation of it or way of spelling my pronunciation of it does not need to be corrected. With our use of the name with reverence there is not disobedience to God, as there would be with making excuses to not speak the name, as some do, and a different pronunciation does not endanger our relationship or standing with God, an argument over it puts remembering God's name in a bad light to some.

Suggestion that some passage of the Bible was not ever read is not a good strategy in discussion and I prefer to avoid that.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not one who tells others how they are wrong and that they need to say the name God revealed that I speak of, this is showing in all this discussion. If you pronounce the name of God as you will I see it is your belief with your understanding, and there is no need to argue about it. But being questioned about my basis to understand the name to be remembered was pronounced like 'Yahweh', I show it adequately. So my pronunciation of it or way of spelling my pronunciation of it does not need to be corrected. With our use of the name with reverence there is not disobedience to God, as there would be with making excuses to not speak the name, as some do, and a different pronunciation does not endanger our relationship or standing with God, an argument over it puts remembering God's name in a bad light to some.

Suggestion that some passage of the Bible was not ever read is not a good strategy in discussion and I prefer to avoid that.
Then you should do like others and not use it but say Adonai or HaShem or LORD instead. It is better than the alternative...

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you should do like others and not use it but say Adonai or HaShem or LORD instead. It is better than the alternative...

Why on earth do you say that. The point is to speak with the revealed name, to remember it as told, obediently? That is NOT telling others they do not say it, or spell it, just right, when it certainly would be the best way they know. Everything tells me it is said as Yahweh, you asked and I show reasons for that, but you can say it as you understand it must be, and I do not say anything to criticize that, but do speak the name to remember it, not doing so with just saying 'the LORD', or Adonai or HaShem, is not doing so and not obedient on that, though there is not something wrong with the terms themselves. But remembering the name means remembering the name, and that is just with speaking it.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why on earth do you say that. The point is to speak with the revealed name, to remember it as told, obediently? That is NOT telling others they do not say it, or spell it, just right, when it certainly would be the best way they know. Everything tells me it is said as Yahweh, you asked and I show reasons for that, but you can say it as you understand it must be, and I do not say anything to criticize that, but do speak the name to remember it, not doing so with just saying 'the LORD', or Adonai or HaShem, is not doing so and not obedient on that, though there is not something wrong with the terms themselves. But remembering the name means remembering the name, and that is just with speaking it.
Well no, you did NOT show reasons for that. I showed you why that is an impossibility. I also told you to look into the Samaritan issue regarding that usage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well no, you did NOT show reasons for that. I showed you why that is an impossibility. I also told you to look into the Samaritan issue regarding that usage.

Well no, you did not. Samaritans pronounced the name 'Iαβέ. Epiphanius ascribed the same pronunciation to an early Christian sect. Clement of Alexandria pronounced it 'Iαουέ or 'Iαουαί. This is persuasive to me and you do not prove that it would not be. But I do not make the point to argue whether others say or spell the name right or not. The disobedience is avoiding anything to remember the name as we were told it is for all generations, it is not about saying it just right. That is your argument.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well no, you did not. Samaritans pronounced the name 'Iαβέ. Epiphanius ascribed the same pronunciation to an early Christian sect. Clement of Alexandria pronounced it 'Iαουέ or 'Iαουαί. This is persuasive to me and you do not prove that it would not be. But I do not make the point to argue whether others say or spell the name right or not. The disobedience is avoiding anything to remember the name as we were told it is for all generations, it is not about saying it just right. That is your argument.
Yes I did, you just do not want to believe me or to research it yourself. YaH is never used as a theophoric prefix in Hebrew. YeHo and Yo are. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction. So IYO it is OK to remember it incorrectly. Or worse, use Yoveh for Yupater, Jupiter...

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I did, you just do not want to believe me or to research it yourself. YaH is never used as a theophoric prefix in Hebrew. YeHo and Yo are. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction. So IYO it is OK to remember it incorrectly. Or worse, use Yoveh for Yupater, Jupiter...

That is not a significant argument. It's already known how the prefix in names was used, it is not more weighty than the poetic 'Yah', and the name in the ancient Greek writing is showing the pronunciation, for which you show nothing that makes it impossible. And there is no scripture passage you would show that required the name to be written and pronounced just right, or else be judged disobedient, that is your gospel. Why not go argue to those who will not ever speak the name of God? They are ones who should hear that they should remember God's name doing so.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That is not a significant argument. It's already known how the prefix in names was used, it is not more weighty than the poetic 'Yah', and the name in the ancient Greek writing is showing the pronunciation, for which you show nothing that makes it impossible. And there is no scripture passage you would show that required the name to be written and pronounced just right, or else be judged disobedient, that is your gospel. Why not go argue to those who will not ever speak the name of God? They are ones who should hear that they should remember God's name doing so.
You need to know WHERE that Greek came from. Well look into Yom Kippur for requiring it being pronounced "just right". You are just making up excuses. It is a Holy Name. It is the Name of the Creator of the Universe. I would rather they NOT try and say it knowing it may be incorrect. But I see it does not bother you...

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to know WHERE that Greek came from. Well look into Yom Kippur for requiring it being pronounced "just right". You are just making up excuses. It is a Holy Name. It is the Name of the Creator of the Universe. I would rather they NOT try and say it knowing it may be incorrect. But I see it does not bother you...

I don't think any should be quick to condemn. There are essential things in the Bible, while this thing about pronouncing right wherever people are from just isn't in there. You have not proven your pronunciation is just right either. Accusing another like this is kind of like throwing stones at someone while you are all in a glass house. Do you understand that Yeshua came to reconcile you and others of us to Yahweh with coming among us, showing us the way, and giving his life, which his resurrection establishes? With coming to him with repentant faith our lives should change.

Upvote 0