Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does any one have any insight on this?

Is Jesus' Hebrew name (Yeshua) pronounced:
ye-shew-a or ya-hoo-a?
(I know what the latter looks like, bare with me).

What does the second pronunciation mean, if it's not the most used?

If any one can give me something besides a copy-and-paste answer, maybe personal revelation? that would be nice..

Reactions: Lost Witness

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The video explains more both the name origin and pronunciation
Thanks, long video, interesting but doesn't answer my question really.

I wonder if anyone is so certain that Yeshua didn't have a silent S in pronunciation... so it would sound like Ya-huuu-aa .. drawn out 'hua'.

I've heard some are talking about this but I can't seem to find the information online and tbh was thinking this site with professing Christians, there may be at least one person who would know.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just found this which answered my question, so I edited the thread:

MEANING OF THE NAME​

While the pronunciation of this word/name is not 100% known (in terms of how it was pronounced in ancient times), there is no debate of what the four letters are in Hebrew. And according to Strongs, יהוה means "He Exists" more or less. Wow! Yes, Our Creator is Yahuah of Hosts, an expression we also see throughout Torah.
Side Note: There is a similarity between the letters U and W because the W is a relatively new letter that developed over time that was formerly comprised of two Us or a “double U” and makes the oooo sound. Yah-ooo-ah.)

On this site:

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

ye-shew-a or ya-hoo-a?

If any one can give me something besides a copy-and-paste answer, maybe personal revelation? that would be nice..
His name if Yeshua from YeHoShua. YaH is not a theophoric prefix in Hebrew

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

MEANING OF THE NAME​

While the pronunciation of this word/name is not 100% known (in terms of how it was pronounced in ancient times), there is no debate of what the four letters are in Hebrew. And according to Strongs, יהוה means "He Exists" more or less. Wow! Yes, Our Creator is Yahuah of Hosts, an expression we also see throughout Torah.
Side Note: There is a similarity between the letters U and W because the W is a relatively new letter that developed over time that was formerly comprised of two Us or a “double U” and makes the oooo sound. Yah-ooo-ah.)

On this site:
...and it is wrong...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, long video, interesting but doesn't answer my question really.

I wonder if anyone is so certain that Yeshua didn't have a silent S in pronunciation... so it would sound like Ya-huuu-aa .. drawn out 'hua'.

I've heard some are talking about this but I can't seem to find the information online and tbh was thinking this site with professing Christians, there may be at least one person who would know.
His name has a shin in it...and it is YeHoSHua

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

ye-shew-a or ya-hoo-a?

His name is identical to Joshua in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And that means... ?

They usually know no Hebrew at all and make up names, then tell everyone it is the true name and everyone who does not use their version is a heretic

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is one page of a 12 page article in the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, Names of God.
Jewish Encyclopedia-Names of God
In appearance, Yhwh (יהוה) is the third person singular imperfect "kal" of the verb ( הוה ("to be"), meaning, therefore, "He is," or "He will be," or, perhaps, "He lives," the root idea of the word being, probably, "to blow," "to breathe," and hence, "to live." With this explanation agrees the meaning of the name given in Ex. iii. 14, where God is represented as speaking, and hence as using the first person—"I am" (אהיה, from ( היה, the later equivalent of the archaic stem ( הוה). The meaning would, therefore, be "He who is self-existing, self-sufficient," or, more concretely, "He who lives," the abstract conception of pure existence being foreign to Hebrew thought. There is no doubt that the idea of life was intimately connected with the name Yhwh from early times. He is the living God, as contrasted with the lifeless gods of the heathen, and He is the source and author of life (comp. I Kings xviii.; Isa. xli. 26-29, xliv. 6-20; Jer. x. 10, 14; Gen. ii. 7; etc.). So familiar is this conception of God to the Hebrew mind that it appears in the common formula of an oath, "hai Yhwh" ( חי־יהוה = "as Yhwh lives"; Ruth iii. 13; I Sam. xiv. 45; etc.).
If the explanation of the form above given be the true one, the original pronunciation must have been Yahweh ((יהוה) or Yahaweh (יהוה). From this the contracted form Jah or Yah (יה ) is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (יהו ), and Jo or Yo (יו contracted from יהו , which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah (יהו ) in the second part of such names. The fact may also be mentioned that in Samaritan poetry יהוה rimes with words similar in ending to Yahweh, and Theodoret ("Quæst. 15 in Exodum") states that the Samaritans pronounced the name Iαβέ. Epiphanius ascribes the same pronunciation to an early Christian sect. Clement of Alexandria, still more exactly, pronounces 'Iαουέ or 'Iαουαί, and Origen, 'Iα. Aquila wrote the name in archaic Hebrew letters. In the Jewish-Egyptian magic-papyri it appears as Ιαωουηε. At least as early as the third century B.C. the name seems to have been regarded by the Jews as a "nomen ineffabile," on the basis of a somewhat extreme interpretation of Ex. xx. 7 and Lev. xxiv. 11 (see Philo, "De Vita Mosis," iii. 519, 529). Written only in consonants, the true pronunciation was forgotten by them. The Septuagint, and after it the New Testament, invariably render κύριος ("the Lord").

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MEANING OF THE NAME
On this site:

If one wants to know about Hebrew names one should ask Hebrew speaking Jews not some modern sect that may not even know what a hithpael is.
The name ישׁוע occurs 30 time in the OT and in the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation of the OT it is written Yeshua.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If one wants to know about Hebrew names one should ask Hebrew speaking Jews not some modern sect that may not even know what a hithpael is.
The name ישׁוע occurs 30 time in the OT and in the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation of the OT it is written Yeshua.

Rabbi Benyamin Blech agrees... Ha Shem comes from the Hebrew verbs "hayah, hoveh, yihyeh"...3 syllables...
yhvh.jpg

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So did you notice this thread is under controversial Christian theology?

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They usually know no Hebrew at all and make up names
Actually, sometimes that's not the case at all.

Why when people are on these sites, are they so keen to argue a point instead of looking at things from the heart?

It's no wonder the 'Christianity' of today is in the state it's in.

Upvote 0