Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think any should be quick to condemn. There are essential things in the Bible, while this thing about pronouncing right wherever people are from just isn't in there. You have not proven your pronunciation is just right either. Accusing another like this is kind of like throwing stones at someone while you are all in a glass house. Do you understand that Yeshua came to reconcile you and others of us to Yahweh with coming among us, showing us the way, and giving his life, which his resurrection establishes? With coming to him with repentant faith our lives should change.
If any of what you think is true, WHY are you using Yeshua? Please explain to ALL of us how your use of The Name results in Yeshua. You are diverting from the discussion by trying to talk about Yeshua's mission. That is not what is in question. What I have proven is that YOUR pronunciation is not possible for MANY reasons. But you obviously do not care...

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If any of what you think is true, WHY are you using Yeshua? Please explain to ALL of us how your use of The Name results in Yeshua. You are diverting from the discussion by trying to talk about Yeshua's mission. That is not what is in question. What I have proven is that YOUR pronunciation is not possible for MANY reasons. But you obviously do not care...
You have only given us your unsupported opinion. Some time ago a movie came out "Passion of the Christ." Aramaic is spoken in it as some speak in Israel today, they pronounce the savior's name as Yeshua. ישׁוּע occurs 30 times in the OT. I really like E-Sword free Bible program I have been using it for 20+ years. I use free Blue Letter Bible in my phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You have only given us your unsupported opinion. Some time ago a movie came out "Passion of the Christ." Aramaic is spoken in it as some speak in Israel today, they pronounce the savior's name as Yeshua. ישׁוּע occurs 30 times in the OT. I really like E-Sword free Bible program I have been using it for 20+ years. I use free Blue Letter Bible in my phone.
I have given a ton of support for what I say, you just do not want to accept, instead constantly quoting an outdated "encyclopedia" from 1905, where they even say they are unsure of what is correct lol. I never said I had a problem with Yeshua. Read my post again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is arbitrary to dismiss the witness with the manuscripts from then and say that the beginning syllable in names of people defines how God's name was pronounced, and not the final syllable in names of people, so as to dismiss the witness of those documents, that show to me the pronunciation of the name of Yahweh. If I am not certain enough, why would you be? And yet why should I care so much about pronunciation being just right, that you focus on this so much, and not think of things more central to salvation or further godliness?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is arbitrary to dismiss the witness with the manuscripts from then and say that the beginning syllable in names of people defines how God's name was pronounced, and not the final syllable in names of people, so as to dismiss the witness of those documents, that show to me the pronunciation of the name of Yahweh. If I am not certain enough, why would you be? And yet why should I care so much about pronunciation being just right, that you focus on this so much, and not think of things more central to salvation or further godliness?
Because you are specifically saying that is the correct pronunciation and you obviously do not now if that is true. Also, you obviously do not understand and do not want to understand why that is NOT true. I am not "arbitrarily" saying anything. It just appears that way to you because it dismisses what you are saying. You obviously do not understand the history of this nor its understanding in Hebrew and within Judaism. Why should you care...i already told you...it is the Holy Name of The Creator of the Universe. Is that not reason enough for you??? Oy Vey!

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because you are specifically saying that is the correct pronunciation and you obviously do not now if that is true. Also, you obviously do not understand and do not want to understand why that is NOT true. I am not "arbitrarily" saying anything. It just appears that way to you because it dismisses what you are saying. You obviously do not understand the history of this nor its understanding in Hebrew and within Judaism. Why should you care...i already told you...it is the Holy Name of The Creator of the Universe. Is that not reason enough for you??? Oy Vey!
Still like in a glass house. What you say can be applied to you, you cannot be more sure than I am, without actually having been there when the name was spoken at the earliest. Since it was for all generations, the name with its pronunciation is available readily to all. Yahweh is the name readily available to all, few know your pronunciation. Since you say it is so important.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For the best source I know of for the correct pronunciation of יהוה YHWH The Jewish Encyclopedia Post 387 this thread.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For the best source I know of for the correct pronunciation of יהוה YHWH The Jewish Encyclopedia Post 387 this thread.
Again, stop claiming an out of date notoriously incorrect encyclopedia from 1905 is correct. They themselves say they don't know. There has been a ton of research since then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Still like in a glass house. What you say can be applied to you, you cannot be more sure than I am, without actually having been there when the name was spoken at the earliest. Since it was for all generations, the name with its pronunciation is available readily to all. Yahweh is the name readily available to all, few know your pronunciation. Since you say it is so important.
Just because you say it is available to all does not automatically make it correct LOL. And it's NOT for many reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@FredVB This was my point...if you use that form of The Name you say is correct, why are you writing Yeshua? And if Yeshua is correct then that form of The Name you say is correct is incorrect...you can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just because you say it is available to all does not automatically make it correct LOL. And it's NOT for many reasons.

It more likely does say it is correct. God said the name is for all generations, how would God say so if it was not available to them? But my point is that name with this spelling and pronunciation, while it is not exclusive of other ways people in various cultures besides the ancient people of Israel would say it, is basically like how it is written and would have been said among those with that ancient Greek spelling.

@FredVB This was my point...if you use that form of The Name you say is correct, why are you writing Yeshua? And if Yeshua is correct then that form of The Name you say is correct is incorrect...you can't have it both ways.

I am not sure why you quoted another forum user, Der Alte in this case, to address me. So I can't have both ways, but you can, saying Yeshua and names with Yeho at the start, but having Yah written at the end of names and various phrases, including Halleluyah? There are both ways, for either of us, either way of it written does not in itself determine how God's revealed name was said or would be written, that reasoning backward is not valid logic. We both have both those pronunciations in the various names. Pointing out my use points back to yours as well.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not sure why you quoted another forum user, Der Alte in this case, to address me. So I can't have both ways, but you can, saying Yeshua and names with Yeho at the start, but having Yah written at the end of names and various phrases, including Halleluyah? There are both ways, for either of us, either way of it written does not in itself determine how God's revealed name was said or would be written, that reasoning backward is not valid logic. We both have both those pronunciations in the various names. Pointing out my use points back to yours as well.
It is quite obvious you do not understand, otherwise you would not be saying that. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction. Yeshua is from YeHoshua, not from YaH or your spelling of The Name. It is an impossibility. You can not have to both ways as I said. YeHo is the theophoric prefix. Do you see now?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟997,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again, stop claiming an out of date notoriously incorrect encyclopedia from 1905 is correct. They themselves say they don't know. There has been a ton of research since then.
Nonsense! Show me any credible source which determined the JE is "notoriously incorrect?" Tick tock. They did NOT say they did not know? Cite me some of that "ton of research" more tick tock. Just did a quick google. Here from the modern Encyclopedia Judaica.
The true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced “Yahweh.” This is confirmed, at least for the vowel of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the -yahu or -yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names. In the opinion of many scholars, YHWH is a verbal form of the root hwh, which is an older variant of the root hyh “to be.” The vowel of the first syllable shows that the verb is used in the form of a future-present causative hiphʿil, and must therefore mean “He causes to be, He brings into existence.” The explanation of the name as given in Exodus 3:14, Eheyeh-Asher-Eheyeh, “I-Am-Who-IAm,” offers a folk etymology, common in biblical explanation of names, rather than a strictly scientific one. Like many other Hebrew names in the Bible, the name Yahweh is no doubt a shortened form of what was originally a longer name. It has been suggested that the original, full form of the name was something like Yahweh-Asher-Yihweh, “He brings into existence whatever exists”; or Yahweh Ẓevaʾot (I Sam. 1:3, 11), which really means “He brings the hosts [of heaven – or of Israel?] into existence.” “The Lord of Hosts,” the traditional translation of the latter name, is doubtful. According to the documentary hypothesis, the literary sources in the Pentateuch known as the Elohist and the Priestly Document never use the name Yahweh for God until it is revealed to Moses (Ex. 3:13; 6:2–3); but the Yahwist source uses it from Genesis 2:4 on and puts the name in Eve’s declaration, “I along with Yahweh have made a man,” thus implying that it was known to the first human generation (Gen. 4:1; cf. 4:26). The apparent purpose of Exodus 6:2–3 is to glorify Moses at the expense of the patriarchal traditions.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Nonsense! Show me any credible source which determined the JE is "notoriously incorrect?" Tick tock. They did NOT say they did not know? Cite me some of that "ton of research" more tick tock.
I have shown you many but you keep to your over 100 yr old source that is incorrect. They themselves say "IF it is correct", which means they do not know for sure. YOU are the one arguing for them so it is on YOU to explain it...I can't argue with them now can I. Also, your use of YaH is incorrect. Again, please answer my question above regarding the correct use of Yeshua (from YeHoshua) and your pronunciation/spelling of The Name. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction. Yeshua is from YeHoshua, not from your spelling of The Name. It is an impossibility. You can not have to both ways as I said. YeHo is the theophoric prefix. Do you see now? Tick tok tick tok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It more likely does say it is correct. God said the name is for all generations, how would God say so if it was not available to them? But my point is that name with this spelling and pronunciation, while it is not exclusive of other ways people in various cultures besides the ancient people of Israel would say it, is basically like how it is written and would have been said among those with that ancient Greek spelling.

It is quite obvious you do not understand, otherwise you would not be saying that. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction. Yeshua is from YeHoshua, not from YaH or your spelling of The Name. It is an impossibility. You can not have to both ways as I said. YeHo is the theophoric prefix. Do you see now?

Yet you use faulty logic, so you do not know, or even understand, better. You claim 'Yah' is only a poetic expression for the name, but why? But why? Why if it is not just like the name, and the short form for it? Why could it not have been 'Yeh'? But it isn't... The only place the form 'Yeh' occurs is at the start of the names of some people. Why? It is like how the same letter for the 'ooo' sound is used as a 'v' sound at the front of a word. Why would that not be the altered form? Your insistence is only with faulty logic. You just do not know better than others. I trust the additional evidence more than you. But it is you that want to keep arguing for the right way to say it. Don't you see it is you keeping some people from speaking the revealed name for it to be remembered, as it was to be for every generation? Those who don't should be encouraged to do so, they should be spoken to for that.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yet you use faulty logic, so you do not know, or even understand, better. You claim 'Yah' is only a poetic expression for the name, but why? But why? Why if it is not just like the name, and the short form for it? Why could it not have been 'Yeh'? But it isn't... The only place the form 'Yeh' occurs is at the start of the names of some people. Why? It is like how the same letter for the 'ooo' sound is used as a 'v' sound at the front of a word. Why would that not be the altered form? Your insistence is only with faulty logic. You just do not know better than others. I trust the additional evidence more than you. But it is you that want to keep arguing for the right way to say it. Don't you see it is you keeping some people from speaking the revealed name for it to be remembered, as it was to be for every generation? Those who don't should be encouraged to do so, they should be spoken to for that.
Because you do not understand what the abbreviation/contraction is from. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction, YeH is not. Ye and YeHo (as in Yeshua and YeHoshua) are theophoric PREFIXES. Don't encourage people to speak it wrongly.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because you do not understand what the abbreviation/contraction is from. YaH is a poetic abbreviation/contraction, YeH is not. Ye and YeHo (as in Yeshua and YeHoshua) are theophoric PREFIXES. Don't encourage people to speak it wrongly.
You do not show any basis for persuading that 'Yahweh' is the wrong way to pronounce the revealed name but for unsubstantiated claims, moreover you say it is better to not say the revealed name to remember than to say it as you say wrongly this way, directly contrary to what we are told in scriptures, and, it is a message you give that is not at all in the Bible that there is a great wrong in any who say the revealed name wrong in any way, that is characteristic of a cult.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You do not show any basis for persuading that 'Yahweh' is the wrong way to pronounce the revealed name but for unsubstantiated claims, moreover you say it is better to not say the revealed name to remember than to say it as you say wrongly this way, directly contrary to what we are told in scriptures, and, it is a message you give that is not at all in the Bible that there is a great wrong in any who say the revealed name wrong in any way, that is characteristic of a cult.
I have shown you a TON of evidence but you just ignore all of it. You on the other hand have not provided any. If you don't care if you pronounce it correctly and you tell others the same, what does that say about you? Why not just do as the Samaritans did and use Joveh (Jupiter or Zeus)? You do what you want to but just remember that I told you and you did not listen. HaMevin Yavin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟269,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have shown you a TON of evidence but you just ignore all of it. You on the other hand have not provided any. If you don't care if you pronounce it correctly and you tell others the same, what does that say about you? Why not just do as the Samaritans did and use Joveh (Jupiter or Zeus)? You do what you want to but just remember that I told you and you did not listen. HaMevin Yavin

Your ton of evidence is a video presentation which itself is not saying anything conclusive, but it is put forth what seems to those speaking what is most likely earlier in a changing language in which there isn't anything further than what they can mention for support. That is not conclusive, and there was no mention of endings of names and the phrases such as Halleluyah, whether it is even poetic or not, which has nothing to do with it. I am calling this unbiblical insistence what it is, and it is cultic and not what the Bible leads to, at all, and you can get off your high horse, you are not showing you are more spiritual. Your pronunciation is just an arbitrary preference that you do not have better evidence for and just go on claiming you do, to insist others should pronounce the name just so and put down others who don't.

Upvote 0