New York
✟98,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assume you're being sarcastic. But I'll accept that you don’t accept I'm being completely transparent on this site about my experiences. I don't know why he said what he did, how he did, but I know it eventually led me to salvation and seeing what a generous, kind, Almighty creator we have.
All that matters in the End is the Outcome :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not being sarcastic.
OK well in that case, thank you for the genuine apology. (And I apologise for assuming you were being sarcastic) can't always tell in text, no body language etc..

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟272,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does any one have any insight on this?

Is Jesus' Hebrew name (Yeshua) pronounced:
ye-shew-a or ya-hoo-a?
(I know what the latter looks like, bare with me).

What does the second pronunciation mean, if it's not the most used?

If any one can give me something besides a copy-and-paste answer, maybe personal revelation? that would be nice..

Jesus, known by the name from the Greek form, which we have in the manuscripts that we have translations from, was given the name Yeshua, as he was originally called, it is the short form of Yehoshua, which gets translated from Hebrew to Joshua in our Bible translations. It is with the meaning of Yahweh's salvation.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
it is the short form of Yehoshua, which gets translated from Hebrew to Joshua in our Bible translations. It is with the meaning of Yahweh's salvation.
So HOW do you get YeHoshua from "Yahweh"??

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So HOW do you get YeHoshua from "Yahweh"??
Jewish ncylopedia
YHWH.
Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently (6,823 times) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh (
V09p160002.jpg
), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility (see Jehovah). This form has arisen through attempting to pronounce the consonants of the name with the vowels of Adonai (
V09p160003.jpg
= "Lord"), which the Masorites have inserted in the text, indicating thereby that Adonai was to be read (as a "ḳeri perpetuum") instead of Yhwh.
From this the contracted form Jah or Yah (
V09p161006.jpg
) is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (
V09p161007.jpg
=
V09p161008.jpg
), and Jo or Yo (
V09p161009.jpg
, contracted from
V09p161010.jpg
), which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah (
V09p161011.jpg
) in the second part of such names.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, long video, interesting but doesn't answer my question really.
I wonder if anyone is so certain that Yeshua didn't have a silent S in pronunciation... so it would sound like Ya-huuu-aa .. drawn out 'hua'.
I've heard some are talking about this but I can't seem to find the information online and tbh was thinking this site with professing Christians, there may be at least one person who would know.
The Hebrew name ישׁוע Yeshua occurs 30 times in the OT. Yahuah does not occur anywhere. Yeshua and Yehoshua both are transliterated as Iesous in the 225 BC Greek septuagint. Personal "revelation" notwithstanding
Yeshua ישׁוע
1Ch 24:11, 2Ch 31:15, Ezr 2:2, Ezr 2:6, Ezr 2:36, Ezr 2:40, Ezr 3:2, Ezr 3:8, Ezr 3:9, Ezr 4:3, Ezr 5:2, Ezr 8:33, Ezr 10:18, Neh 3:19, Neh 7:7, Neh 7:11, Neh 7:39, Neh 7:43, Neh 8:7, Neh 8:17, Neh 9:4, Neh 9:5, Neh 10:9, Neh 11:26, Neh 12:1, Neh 12:7, Neh 12:8, Neh 12:10, Neh 12:24, Neh 12:26.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jewish ncylopedia
YHWH.
Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently (6,823 times) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh (
V09p160002.jpg
), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility (see Jehovah). This form has arisen through attempting to pronounce the consonants of the name with the vowels of Adonai (
V09p160003.jpg
= "Lord"), which the Masorites have inserted in the text, indicating thereby that Adonai was to be read (as a "ḳeri perpetuum") instead of Yhwh.
From this the contracted form Jah or Yah (
V09p161006.jpg
) is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (
V09p161007.jpg
=
V09p161008.jpg
), and Jo or Yo (
V09p161009.jpg
, contracted from
V09p161010.jpg
), which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah (
V09p161011.jpg
) in the second part of such names.
...as we have seen before, this does NOT answer the question...YeHo and Yo are NOT the contracted forms of "yahweh". Yah is never the theophoric prefix, always the suffix so what is written above makes no sense. Also, Adonai? What about Shem HaMeforash? Seems like the attempt to explain it away is just that...since the form was used long beforehand...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...as we have seen before, this does NOT answer the question...YeHo and Yo are NOT the contracted forms of "yahweh". Yah is never the theophoric prefix, always the suffix so what is written above makes no sense. Also, Adonai? What about Shem HaMeforash? Seems like the attempt to explain it away is just that...since the form was used long beforehand...
Thank you for your unsupported opinion. I quoted the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia which was compiled by 50+ Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars. I'll take their word for it rather than what an anonymous person online says.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your unsupported opinion. I quoted the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia which was compiled by 50+ Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars. I'll take their word for it rather than what an anonymous person online says.
So what, that 1906 encyclopedia is notoriously incorrect. You obviously do not understand what I wrote because you did not even try and refute it. Next time just say the truth, that you do not know instead of just hiding behind your 1906 "encyclopedia" lol...whatever...btw, what about the vowels of "le Olam" :)

Here is a Jewish scholar:

"In terms of what Jews believe, not very credible at all. It was aimed at being an academic resource, many of its articles either fully or partially written by Christians. So while it represents how academics interpret Jewish beliefs, it frequently does not encapsulate what Judaism actually teaches." Marc Lipshitz

"Well I will put it like this, all encyclopedia’s are dated. Its probably biased towards the Haskallah movement which was the precursor of Reform Judaism. It is not a work of Judaism as a belief system, but it does catalogue the overall Jewish contribution. It was completed in 1906 and therefore has almost 120 years of information needed to update it. Additionally some very important manuscrips of concerning the future Temple were not rediscovered until after the 1960’s. These are by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzaato and were written in the 18th century, but play an important part of understanding the future and past Temples as well as important elements thereof. It is acurate for what it is, an encyclopedia of Jewish thought. But it is not authoratative". Rabbi Valadez

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what, that 1906 encyclopedia is notoriously incorrect. You obviously do not understand what I wrote because you did not even try and refute it. Next time just say the truth, that you do not know instead of just hiding behind your 1906 "encyclopedia" lol...whatever...btw, what about the vowels of "le Olam" :)

Here is a Jewish scholar:

"In terms of what Jews believe, not very credible at all. It was aimed at being an academic resource, many of its articles either fully or partially written by Christians. So while it represents how academics interpret Jewish beliefs, it frequently does not encapsulate what Judaism actually teaches." Marc Lipshitz

"Well I will put it like this, all encyclopedia’s are dated. Its probably biased towards the Haskallah movement which was the precursor of Reform Judaism. It is not a work of Judaism as a belief system, but it does catalogue the overall Jewish contribution. It was completed in 1906 and therefore has almost 120 years of information needed to update it. Additionally some very important manuscrips of concerning the future Temple were not rediscovered until after the 1960’s. These are by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzaato and were written in the 18th century, but play an important part of understanding the future and past Temples as well as important elements thereof. It is acurate for what it is, an encyclopedia of Jewish thought. But it is not authoratative". Rabbi Valadez
More biased, unsupported objections/opinions. Nothing you quoted disproves anything I posted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
More biased, unsupported objections/opinions. Nothing you quoted disproves anything I posted.
Biased? LOL! Unsupported? Dr Nehemia Gordon is not biased or unsupported. My original post does and you can't answer the question. Just say the truth that you don't know...its OK that you don't know.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biased? LOL! Unsupported? Dr Nehemia Gordon is not biased or unsupported. My original post does and you can't answer the question. Just say the truth that you don't know...its OK that you don't know.
Saying "This guy said this" and "That guy said that." is meaningless. Where and when did these "scholars" supposedly say something? A supposed scholar saying something is meaningless unless that scholar shows how he/she came to that decision. That is what you have done is quoting supposed scholars without any scholarship to support their opinions. I went back to the OP of this thread I saw nothing to answer.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Saying "This guy said this" and "That guy said that." is meaningless. Where and when did these "scholars" supposedly say something? A supposed scholar saying something is meaningless unless that scholar shows how he/she came to that decision. That is what you have done is quoting supposed scholars without any scholarship to support their opinions. I went back to the OP of this thread I saw nothing to answer.
Dr Gordon has support from 1000s of manuscripts. You obviously either did not watch the videos I posted or you do not understand any of this. No, you never answered my question. Like I said, it is OK if you do not know. Just say that. Here are the questions again:

How do you get YeHoshua from Yahweh?

...as we have seen before, this does NOT answer the question...YeHo and Yo are NOT the contracted forms of "yahweh". Yah is never the theophoric prefix, always the suffix so what is written above makes no sense

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Or like me, the little one(s) who are saved and abiding in Yahshua ! halleluYah!
YESHUA. YaH is a poetic abbreviation. YaH is not used as a theophoric prefix in Hebrew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dr Gordon has support from 1000s of manuscripts. You obviously either did not watch the videos I posted or you do not understand any of this. No, you never answered my question. Like I said, it is OK if you do not know. Just say that. Here are the questions again:
How do you get YeHoshua from Yahweh?
...as we have seen before, this does NOT answer the question...YeHo and Yo are NOT the contracted forms of "yahweh". Yah is never the theophoric prefix, always the suffix so what is written above makes no sense
I don't do videos. Too much chance for malware. Whatever Dr. Gordon has is meaningless unless it is presented here. According to the Jewish Encyclopedia Yeho and Yo are legitimate contractions of YHWH. Once again the unsupported opinions of someone who has demonstrated no expertise in Hebrew are not relevant. I doubt you know the difference between a hithpael and a hatpin.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't do videos. Too much chance for malware. Whatever Dr. Gordon has is meaningless unless it is presented here. According to the Jewish Encyclopedia Yeho and Yo are legitimate contractions of YHWH. Once again the unsupported opinions of someone who has demonstrated no expertise in Hebrew are not relevant. I doubt you know the difference between a hithpael and a hatpin.
Of course you don't do videos lol. Yes YeHo and Yo ARE legitimate, but I asked you HOW are they abbreviations of "Yahweh"...which you would not or could not answer. It is OK that you do not know.. just be truthful and say that instead of playing games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course you don't do videos lol. Yes YeHo and Yo ARE legitimate, but I asked you HOW are they abbreviations of "Yahweh"...which you would not or could not answer. It is OK that you do not know.. just be truthful and say that instead of playing games.
You are the one playing games. The Jewish Encyclopedia which I quoted gave me all the explanation I require. My faith does not depend knowing how Yeho and Yo are legitimate abbreviations of יהוה your objections notwithstanding. Maybe you faiths does depend on knowing that. Or maybe you are trying to play "gotcha."

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You are the one playing games. The Jewish Encyclopedia which I quoted gave me all the explanation I require. My faith does not depend knowing how Yeho and Yo are legitimate abbreviations of יהוה your objections notwithstanding.
If the JE gave YOU the information and explanation as YOU claim, then you should be able to answer my question to you, but you can't or won't...I never objected regarding YeHo and Yo being legitimate abbreviations as they are correct prefixes in Hebrew names. YOU posted the JE as an answer to my question. So again, please be truthful and just say you do not know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0