Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for Christians?

• Yes. (they are included in God's the Law of Love, and in the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33)

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No they are not good

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Some of them are good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟383,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL, "All that was mentioned"? LOL

Talk to you later!
There isn't anything funny. Sad really. We exchanged on 1 Cor 5 several times with you understanding that we agree on the sacrificial system not being on the same plan as the Passover. Then all of a sudden you go on a three paragraph stint thinking we don't.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟383,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL, "All that was mentioned"? LOL

Talk to you later!
The folowing is the summary to the verses provided below it the original post. It is in respect to you mentioning the promised land. I get that you might not understand it. But to think it was posted in respect to the Passover I don't

Hebrews 4-10 says, For we who have believed DO enter into rest through the veil that is to say His flesh. For the way into the holiest of all has been manifested through the blood of Jesus. For if the ashes of a heifer and the blood of bulls and goats sanctify to the purifying of the flesh; how much more shall the blood of Jesus cleanse our conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. But with one offering He have perfected forever us whom are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost testifies, for God has said I WILL PUT my Laws in their hearts and in their minds write them. So let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast this profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; ) AMEN

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟334,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There isn't anything funny. Sad really. We exchanged on 1 Cor 5 several times with you understanding that we agree on the sacrificial system not being on the same plan as the Passover. Then all of a sudden you go on a three paragraph stint thinking we don't.

I was replying to the Scriptures you posted to justify your preaching that I didn't understand what Paul was teaching about the Feasts of the Lord. Every verse you used in that reply, with the exception of Heb. 3&4, was regarding the "ADDED" Priesthood LAW "concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices" for sin, AKA, "The Levitical Priesthood" individual Sacrifices "for sin" that God didn't give Israel until after the golden calf. (Jer. 7:22, Heb. 7-10) You clumped Heb. 4-10 as all speaking of the same thing just as other religions do.

From your posts, it seemed like you and SB and BR's philosophy regarding your reason for rejecting the Holy "Days" God Esteemed above other days, were the same. I went back over our discussion, and I still cannot find where you agreed that the Passover was not tied to the Levitical Priesthood, given what you actually wrote and the Scriptures you posted. And you didn't address much of my reasoning regarding or the Scriptures I posted.

And, as I asked you, but you didn't answer, do you really believe the 7 Day Feast given to Israel was God showing them they only needed to be "sin fee" for 1 week, and not their whole lives? And yet, that was also implied by you.

Did I misunderstand your post? Perhaps I did. If I did, I apologize.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟334,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The folowing is the summary to the verses provided below it the original post. It is in respect to you mentioning the promised land. I get that you might not understand it. But to think it was posted in respect to the Passover I don't.
Hebrews 4-10 says, For we who have believed DO enter into rest through the veil that is to say His flesh. For the way into the holiest of all has been manifested through the blood of Jesus. For if the ashes of a heifer and the blood of bulls and goats sanctify to the purifying of the flesh; how much more shall the blood of Jesus cleanse our conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. But with one offering He have perfected forever us whom are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost testifies, for God has said I WILL PUT my Laws in their hearts and in their minds write them. So let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast this profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; ) AMEN

I said;

Yes, that is the reason for the "7 day" Feast, which is symbolic of the rest of our lives. In the same way the wine and unleavened bread is symbolic of the blood and flesh of the Passover Lamb, the Christ, that we are commanded to eat, to have Life. In the same way six days of the week is given us to prepare for the 7th day, is symbolic of removing the Leaven from our house in preparation for the Promised Land. (Kingdom)

For "the way" into the holiest of all "has been manifested" through the blood (Life) of Jesus" (Our Passover)

Isn't Passover the manifestation of the "Blood (Life) of Jesus" that we are to put in our minds and walk? (Lintel and 2 door posts) And through His Life, can those who trust Him not "SEE" the "Way" into the Holy of Holies, where we can communicate with God one on one as HE did? (In our closet with the door closed) And what happened to the first Church of God under His New Priesthood who placed the Life of Jesus into their minds and walk? They obeyed God in the Passover including the last supper with the Christ. This cannot be denied. They observed the Feast of Unleavened bread, and as a result counted correctly so as to be gathered, as instructed, on the Lord's Feast, the Feast of Weeks (AKA Pentecost). Another undeniable Biblical Fact. And what was given to them for their humble faith shown by their unwavering obedience, but the Spirit of Truth, written in their hearts by God Himself, who Peter said HE gives to "them" that obey Him.

So then, was the "WAY" into the Holy of Holies, where God resides, not made manifest to them, through the Blood (LIFE) of Christ?

Is this not the entire purpose of the Feast, as we walk through the valley of the shadow of death in our journey to the Promised Land. Didn't the Jesus of the bible say to Know God IS Eternal Life?

Rom. 2: 7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Isn't eternal life the Promised Land we are SEEKING? Are the Faithful not "Entering into HIS Rest, by walking in the Way of the Lord"? Do we not get there by, as Paul teaches; "by pressing toward the mark for the prize (Be Ye Perfect) of the high calling of God "in Christ Jesus." (His Life)

My argument with this world's religions, is that they create their own "Path/Way", with their own Sabbaths, and their own Judgments, and their own high days, and have rejected God's Holy "Days", that HE Himself Esteemed above other days, as unworthy of their honor. There is not ONE Example of Faith in the entire Bible, that engaged in such behavior.

I'm not arguing to keep the Day or not keep the Day. If the "heart" doesn't turn to God, the "DEEDS" of the Law mean little. I'm simply pointing out undeniable Biblical Truths regarding the Day.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for mankind?
The question should have been: WERE the ten commandments good or bad for ISREAL? They were given ONLY to Israel and according to 2Cor3:7 they were the "ministry of death" and were temporary commands until the Holy Spirit became the guide for all mankind.

The ten commandments, given only to Israel, were good only if the Israelites could have kept them. They didn't and so they became the ministry of death.
If good -- then what day of the week does the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?
The question, because the ten are no longer the guide for Israel and never were the guide for the remainder of mankind, should be: then what day of the week DID the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?
Why is Sunday often kept instead of the 7th day of the week?
Because there is no command in the new covenant to keep any day. Remember gentiles have never been given a command to observe any day.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The law was given to the Jews.
because they are humans - and it was given to all humans.

"All have sinned" Rom 3:23
"SIN IS the transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4

The moral law of God is written on the heart under the NEW Covenant Heb 8:6-12, and Jer 31:31-34

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are God's Ten Commandments good or bad for mankind?
If good -- then what day of the week does the Sabbath Commandment of Ex 20:8-11 refer to ?
Why is Sunday often kept instead of the 7th day of the week?

======================================

Ex 20:10 "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)?"

Is 66:23 in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"

The question should have been: WERE the ten commandments good or bad for ISREAL?
Only if one presumes that the Law given to mankind is not given to Israel because??? Israel is not part of mankind?? what would the thinking be there??
They were given ONLY to Israel
false

It was always a sin for all mankind -- to ever "take God's name in vain" or worship false gods.

This is the easy part - hard to believe some find it perplexing
and according to 2Cor3:7 they were the "ministry of death"
That Law telling us not to take God's name in vain is the Law that defines sin for all mankind - "SIN IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4
Again - this is the easy part.
And because by that standard "ALL have sinned" Rom 3:23 then all are under the condemnation of the second death according to that law - that is for the unsaved - "the law of death".

But for the born again saints - it is "written on the heart" under the New Covenant of Heb 8 and Jer 31:31-34.

Again a pretty easy concept for most.
and were temporary commands
Nope... it is "still a sin to take God's name in vain".

And that Law is still written on the heart under the NEW covenant.
The ten commandments, given only to Israel
false

Gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping in Is 56:6-8 - as you and I both know.

And ALL mankind to come before God to worship "From Sabbath to Sabbath" in the New Earth according to Is 66:23 instead of "just the Jews".

Again - this is irrefutable.
Because there is no command in the new covenant to keep any day.
false - again.

As we see the NEW Covenant in Jer 31:31-34 writing that Law of God on the heart where we find "the first commandment with a promise is HONOR your father and mother" Eph 6:1-2..

Again - irrefutable.

This part of the conversation has been so easy to follow for all these years Bob - hard to determine why some find the Bible so confusing at this point.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the Law is in our hearts.
Context - it is the same moral law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 "I will make a NEW Covenant,,,, I will write My LAW on their heart and mind..."

And as Eph 6:2 says "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" in that unit of TEN included in the moral law of God written on the heart.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Context - it is the same moral law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 "I will make a NEW Covenant,,,, I will write My LAW on their heart and mind..."

And as Eph 6:2 says "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" in that unit of TEN included in the moral law of God written on the heart.
Why is it that you believe that only ten commandments were written on your heart when you became a Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that you believe that only ten commandments were written on your heart when you became a Christian?
Like most SDAs Bob will go to any straw man to defend observing a day given only to one nation. I wrote that there is no commandment in the new covenant to keep a day and he responded with: "false - again. As we see the NEW Covenant in Jer 31:31-34 writing that Law of God on the heart where we find "the first commandment with a promise is HONOR your father and mother" Eph 6:1-2.." He might as well not answered my statement at all. His answer is so inane as are all of his other inane answers.

No where in all of the Bible does it tell us what laws are written on our hearts. SDAs take it upon themselves to make such a false statement. It seems they will go to any false defense to try to prove to us that we have to keep a day that God, in His covenant to Israel, and only Israel.

The real test of what is written on our hearts is all the millions of people that lived before us and all that live today have no persuasion concerning a law that demands them to observe a day. SDAs spend untold millions trying to convince others that we must keep the old covenant Sabbath that ended for the Jews at Calvary.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Like most SDAs Bob will go to any straw man to defend observing a day given only to one nation. I wrote that there is no commandment in the new covenant to keep a day and he responded with: "false - again. As we see the NEW Covenant in Jer 31:31-34 writing that Law of God on the heart where we find "the first commandment with a promise is HONOR your father and mother" Eph 6:1-2.." He might as well not answered my statement at all. His answer is so inane as are all of his other inane answers.

No where in all of the Bible does it tell us what laws are written on our hearts. SDAs take it upon themselves to make such a false statement. It seems they will go to any false defense to try to prove to us that we have to keep a day that God, in His covenant to Israel, and only Israel.

The real test of what is written on our hearts is all the millions of people that lived before us and all that live today have no persuasion concerning a law that demands them to observe a day. SDAs spend untold millions trying to convince others that we must keep the old covenant Sabbath that ended for the Jews at Calvary.
Thank you. I appreciate your perseverance in continuing to engage with Bob. I find myself needing to take regular breaks because, as you say, he dodges direct questions.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the Law is in our hearts.

1. When I use the term "included in the moral law" it is not the same as your 'the only thing in the moral law". You realize that right?
2. The Eph 6:2 statement by contrast only works with the Ten.
Like most SDAs Bob will go to any straw man to defend observing a day given only to one nation.
Bob - are you saying that by way of confession on your own part.? Or are you just wanting to falsely accuse others?

When we read the actual Bible - rather than engage in false accusations we find this -

Is 56:6-8 gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping
Gen 2:2-3 the Sabbath - sanctified, made holy, set apart for holy use on day 7
Is 66:23 Sabbath for all mankind - where "from Sabbath to Sabbath all mankind comes before God to worship" in the New Earth.
Mark 2:27 "Sabbath made for mankind" not "Sabbath made just for one nation"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
. I wrote that there is no commandment in the new covenant to keep a day and he responded with: "false - again.
indeed - that is false
As we see the NEW Covenant in Jer 31:31-34 writing that Law of God on the heart where we find "the first commandment with a promise is HONOR your father and mother" Eph 6:1-2.."
Which you should bring yourself to respond to if you want to make a point there.
He might as well not answered my statement at all. His answer is so inane as are all of his other inane answers.
typical ad hominem when your argument fails?... again?
No where in all of the Bible does it tell us what laws are written on our hearts.
Until we read the actual Bible.

Deut 5;22 "He spoke the Ten and added no more".
Eph 6:2 only the TEN are written such that "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" -- as we all know.
Sabbath for all mankind Mark 2:27, for all eternity after the cross Is 66:23.

At some point Bob -- you should consider admitting to the obvious.
The real test of what is written on our hearts is all the millions of people that lived before us and all that live today have no persuasion concerning a law that demands them to observe a day.
The majority of Jews of Christ day had no persuasion that Christ was the Messiah - your argument is of the form "ignore the scriptures find what the majority prefers instead" is a bit hollow - yet also transparent for the objective unbiased reader.

The majority did not agree with Noah
Ignore the word of God -- only pay attention to what the majority favors - is not the large scripture "insight" you may at first imagined to yourself.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1. When I use the term "included in the moral law" it is not the same as your 'the only thing in the moral law". You realize that right?
Thank for your excellent example of cherrypicking scripture. You know, as well as I do, the term "Law" in the New Testament, as, e.g., in Romans, encompasses all of God's commandments in the OT, not just the Ten. However, if you want to slice and dice the Law to exclude all of God's other commandments, then that is your prerogative. I suggest that you abandon your accusations against others who fail to comply with your form of legalism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟383,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
o where in all of the Bible does it tell us what laws are written on our hearts.
You are sadly mistaken. It is the commandments and statutes which are written in the book of the law that is in Our hearts and mouths that we do them. Take note the judgements are not mention within the context of the passage sited. It is also worthy of mention that Romans 10:6-8 paraphrase these text below. Quite the connection God laid out so there is no mistaking it.

Deuteronomy 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deuteronomy 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deuteronomy 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deuteronomy 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You are sadly mistaken. It is the commandments and statutes which are written in the book of the law that is in Our hearts and mouths that we do them. Take note the judgements are not mention within the context of the passage sited. It is also worthy of mention that Romans 10:6-8 paraphrase these text below. Quite the connection God laid out so there is no mistaking it.

Deuteronomy 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deuteronomy 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deuteronomy 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deuteronomy 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
Curiously, the vast majority of professing Christians who, theoretically, have all of God's law written on their hearts, do not (and in many cases cannot) obey that Law. Have you any idea why that is?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

Thank for your excellent example of cherrypicking scripture.
Thank you for that example of ignoring every scripture referenced in the post and also losing track of your own point in your prior post where you falsely claimed I argue that only the TEN are in the moral law of God.

You know, as well as I do, the term "Law" in the New Testament, as, e.g., in Romans, encompasses all of God's commandments in the OT
Not true since we all know Heb 10 distinctly puts and end to the laws for animal sacrifice and offerings.

this is not even a little bit confusing.
However, if you want to slice and dice the Law to exclude all of God's other commandments
Which is what you falsely claimed and is what I refuted in my post where you simply ignore every detail in it.

Not sure how ignoring the details in my every post is supposed to demonstrate a convincing argument in your position.

Surely your position could be supported while actually paying attention to the actual point I made in the post even if you differ with it.
I suggest that you abandon your accusations
I simply point out that just as the case in your post above - you are not paying attention to the argument in the post that I provided and simply ignoring every text posted - is not the great help you seem to have supposed it to be.
against others who fail to comply with your form of legalism.
The wild notion that "actually paying attention to the details in the posts" is a "form of legalism" -- is a bit surprising.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,922.00
Faith
Non-Denom
BobRyan said:

Thank you for that example of ignoring every scripture referenced in the post and also losing track of your own point in your prior post where you falsely claimed I argue that only the TEN are in the moral law of God.

Not true since we all know Heb 10 distinctly puts and end to the laws for animal sacrifice and offerings.

this is not even a little bit confusing.

Which is what you falsely claimed and is what I refuted in my post where you simply ignore every detail in it.

Not sure how ignoring the details in my every post is supposed to demonstrate a convincing argument in your position.

Surely your position could be supported while actually paying attention to the actual point I made in the post even if you differ with it.

I simply point out that just as the case in your post above - you are not paying attention to the argument in the post that I provided and simply ignoring every text posted - is not the great help you seem to have supposed it to be.

The wild notion that "actually paying attention to the details in the posts" is a "form of legalism" -- is a bit surprising.
To clarify things here, please define the Law for me. How many commandments does it contain? How many are you obligated to obey?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Curiously, the vast majority of professing Christians who, theoretically, have all of God's law written on their hearts, do not (and in many cases cannot) obey that Law. Have you any idea why that is?
Rom 8:4-12 points to the fact that the born again saints can and do comply with God's Word while the one that is not born again "does not submit to the Law of God - NEITHER INDEED CAN they"

You have free will - and can choose to identify with whatever group you wish.

Rom 8:
4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him

That's Paul's teaching.. according to the Bible I am reading.

Upvote 0