Boonsboro
✟43,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only way anyone has been saved in scripture is through the blood of Christ. In the OT is was faith looking forward to the Cross and in NC it is faith looking back at the Cross. Christ does impute His righteousness, which means we are not clinging to sin, and if one isn’t clinging to sin, they wouldn’t be arguing against keeping God’s commandments- scripture tells us those who are hostile to God’s law are not in Him Rom 8:7-8, His faithful keep His commandments and the faith of Jesus Rev 14:12
Right, they would be eager to obey everything God asks of them because they have been perfected forever by Christ. But not to be saved.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟43,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one knows if we are saved until He comes as Judgement is in the last day John 12:48, but a saved person is not an enmity to God and His law. Rom 8:7-8 A saved person yields themselves servants of God and has faith in His every Word to do what He asks, because we love Him and have faith that what He asks is for our own good, even if it doesn’t always make sense to us. John 14:15 Exo 20:6 Rev 14:12
Those who have received Christ know that they are saved. The only way they can be lost is to voluntarily give up their salvation.

No one who is unsure of their salvation can’t be sure that God loves them.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You as well.
Those who have received Christ know that they are saved. The only way they can be lost is to voluntarily give up their salvation.

No one who is unsure of their salvation can’t be sure that God loves ththem.
We must support each otber in our weaknesses, confusion and fear.

Reactions: Mercy Shown
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

No one who is unsure of their salvation can’t be sure that God loves them.
God loves everyone, He died for everyone, 1 John 2:2 even while we were sinners, but not everyone is going to be saved according to Jesus as not everyone accepts His free gift of salvation. Many on that Great Day will say Lord Lord (believers) but did not submit to His will and He will say depart from Me, ye who practice lawlessness Mat 7:21-23 the parallel verses are Rev 22:14-15 1 John 2:3-6

We do not judge ourselves, we all have to stand before Jesus one day soon based on His Judgement 2 Cor 5:10 It’s why we have hope in salvation 1 Thes 5:8 Because we do not know if we will be written in the Book of Life or our names blotted out until Judgement Day. Until then, its important to pray, keep reading God’s Word, and live by it as it is God’s love letter to His children to give us hope and a future, but it requires our cooperation. Jesus gave us everything and asks for so little. John 14:15 Exo 20:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 Is the answer
It’s one of the reasons we have this warning over Paul’s writing 2 Peter 3:16 as he never taught something different than Christ.

The chapter is about how to handle disputes, it talks about what day man esteems over another, not what day God esteems over all other days. The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God Exo 2:10, My holy day, the holy day of the Lord Isa 58:13 that is a commandment of God that God personally blessed and sacntified that no man ,including Paul can reverse. Num 23:20. God said He would not alter His Words Psa 89:34 No wonder why the entire chapter of Romans 14 has not one mention of the Sabbath. It would be like us disputing if we should keep Easter or Christmas, if one decides to keep it keep it unto the Lord, its not about if we are to obey one of God’s commanemnts that He personally wrote and spoke, that no man has authority to edit or change. Mat 5:18 Deut 4:2 Psa 89:34 but instead we are to live by Mat 4:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s one of the reasons we have this warning over Paul’s writing 2 Peter 3:16 as he never taught something different than Christ.

The chapter is about how to handle disputes, it talks about what day man esteems over another, not what day God esteems over all other days. The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God Exo 2:10, My holy day, the holy day of the Lord Isa 58:13 that is a commandment of God that God personally blessed and sacntified that no man ,including Paul can reverse. Num 23:20. God said He would not alter His Words Psa 89:34 No wonder why the entire chapter of Romans 14 has not one mention of the Sabbath. It would be like us disputing if we should keep Easter or Christmas, if one decides to keep it keep it unto the Lord, its not about if we are to obey one of God’s commanemnts that He personally wrote and spoke, that no man has authority to edit or change. Mat 5:18 Deut 4:2 Psa 89:34 but instead we are to live by Mat 4:4
We are not supposed to argue about the law. Titus 3

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We are not supposed to argue about the law. Titus 3
I’m just providing context to Romans 14.

Jesus told us to teach each other the commanemnts Mat 5:19. The Sabbath is a commanemnt of God, the one commandment He said to Remember, yet man forgot. We should always obey God the way He asks, instead of following the popular traditions of man. At least that is what Jesus taught Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟68,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Collosians 2:16 spells it out pretty clear.
If one chooses to observe the Sabath, he or she is free to do so. If one chooses not to keep the Sabath, he or she is free to do so.
But I think it's a bit like giving unto The Lord. Are you keeping or not keeping it to be seen of men? Keep it between you and God either way you go and not make a big show of it and don't judge those who view that freedom of choice differently.
That's just my opinion.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think Collosians 2:16 spells it out pretty clear.
If one chooses to observe the Sabath, he or she is free to do so. If one chooses not to keep the Sabath, he or she is free to do so.
But I think it's a bit like giving unto The Lord. Are you keeping or not keeping it to be seen of men? Keep it between you and God either way you go and not make a big show of it and don't judge those who view that freedom of choice differently.
That's just my opinion.
Hey there,

Welcome to the thread. The context to Col 2:16-17 is in verse 14.

I wrote about it here in brief detail if interested The Danger of "Keeping Sabbath."

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟68,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, SabbathBlessings. I read it and will consider your words.
I try to remain open to correction as best I can.

Galatians 5:14 King James Version (KJV)For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Bill

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, SabbathBlessings. I read it and will consider your words.
I try to remain open to correction as best I can.
Bill
Pray about it and ask for His guidance to lead you in all Truth. I have been corrected so much on many things.

I have done extensive study on this passage. I’m happy to share more if interested. It’s actually a huge passage with a lot there and I can see how its confusing to people, but if we go back to the basics Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-30 Mat 15:3-14 James 2:10-12 Rev 22:14-15 we have to see how a single verse reconciles with the rest of God’s Word. Thanks for having an open mind and wish you nothing but the best. :)

Reactions: Grafted In
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 5:14 King James Version (KJV)For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Bill
Yes, the summary does not delete the details. Rom 13:9 1 John 5:2-3

Signing off for now- Happy Sabbath all and God bless. :heartpulse::clap:

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟68,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray about it and ask for His guidance to lead you in all Truth. I have been corrected so much on many things.

I have done extensive study on this passage. I’m happy to share more if interested. It’s actually a huge passage with a lot there and I can see how its confusing to people, but if we go back to the basics Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-30 Mat 15:3-14 James 2:10-12 Rev 22:14-15 we have to see how a single verse reconciles with the rest of God’s Word. Thanks for having an open mind and wish you nothing but the best. :)
I added a verse of scripture after you responded to my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟43,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God loves everyone, He died for everyone, 1 John 2:2 even while we were sinners, but not everyone is going to be saved according to Jesus as not everyone accepts His free gift of salvation. Many on that Great Day will say Lord Lord (believers) but did not submit to His will and He will say depart from Me, ye who practice lawlessness Mat 7:21-23 the parallel verses are Rev 22:14-15 1 John 2:3-6

We do not judge ourselves, we all have to stand before Jesus one day soon based on His Judgement 2 Cor 5:10 It’s why we have hope in salvation 1 Thes 5:8 Because we do not know if we will be written in the Book of Life or our names blotted out until Judgement Day. Until then, its important to pray, keep reading God’s Word, and live by it as it is God’s love letter to His children to give us hope and a future, but it requires our cooperation. Jesus gave us everything and asks for so little. John 14:15 Exo 20:6
If one is unsure whether their lover is going to destroy both their body and soul in hell or bring them into eternal bliss, there can be no real love, for real love casts out fear because fear has to do with punishment. This is why John wrote. I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13

This is the gospel, the good news. Hebrews 4:6 relates, For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. Anyone who receives Christ also receives eternal life, but this must be done by faith, a gift from God.

Do some fall away, yes, but that is a free-will choice. Each of us has the promise that if we believe and trust in Jesus' righteousness as our own, we are saved and receive eternal life. Jesus was recorded in John 11:26 as saying, "...and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

He asks us all the same questions today, "Do you believe this?"

If I am found in Christ's righteousness, what will Jesus judge?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If one is unsure whether their lover is going to destroy both their body and soul in hell or bring them into eternal bliss, there can be no real love, for real love casts out fear because fear has to do with punishment. This is why John wrote. I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13
God loved Israel so much yet destroyed them because of their disobedience. Why are we more special than they? That we can be disobedient to God and live when Jesus in His own Words says we can't Mat 7:21-23

Believe in Jesus is not I just believe in Jesus, it means to be live Jesus. It means to accept Him as our personal Savior and in doing so, we would trust and live out His teachings and follow His example. Belief and obedience to God are interchangeable. For example, John 3:16 most people stop there, but John kept going showing there are two choices- believe in God and follow Him and His teaching or stay in darkness (sin) and accept the condemnation. Most people want the blessing Jesus brings, but they don't really want Him because they want to stay the same ( in darkness) and do the things we want. If we truly meet Jesus, we need a conversion which means nothing stays the same and we would live by His teachings and every Word Mat 4:4

Sadly, most churches today teach all you have to do is believe, you don't need to keep God's commandments, all you need to do is love God/neighbor and the definition for love is what each of us determine and not the biblical definition of love 1 John 5:2-3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 but Jesus in His own Words says this is not true. People don't be live His teaching they believe their pastors or what sounds good to itching ears, 2 Tim 4:3 over the clear Word of God.

This is the gospel, the good news. Hebrews 4:6 relates, For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. Anyone who receives Christ also receives eternal life, but this must be done by faith, a gift from God.
Amen Jesus gave us everything and if we have faith -will we be live His teachings? John 14:15 Exo 20:6 Mat 5:19-30 Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 Luke 4:16, Isa 56:1-6 Mat 2:27 etc etc How does one have faith in Jesus but not have faith to do what He asks?
Do some fall away, yes, but that is a free-will choice. Each of us has the promise that if we believe and trust in Jesus' righteousness as our own, we are saved and receive eternal life. Jesus was recorded in John 11:26 as saying, "...and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
With all my heart, we must live by believing in Him which means complete submission to Christ including believing His teachings and the example He left for us on how to live righteously. 1 John 2:3-6 John 15:10 Psa 119:172
If I am found in Christ's righteousness, what will Jesus judge?
All are Judged by Jesus 2 Cor 5:10 the question is will we be able to stand in His presence when He comes. I pray that we all will. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟384,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Hebrews four we find that the children of Israel were not able to enter into God’s rest which was the promised land because of their lack of faith.
And Hebrews three tells us what their lack of faith was. It is Sin, any sin is showing unbelief, lack of faith.

They refused God's Spirit and the Life He offers through it,. Which is the true promised land and the Gospel that verse 4:2 brings out that we who have believe partake of. (see verse 3}

Heb 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

And God’s rest that remains for us today, the Sabbath rest, is to enter into eternal bliss with Jesus Christ and our father.
Two rests mentioned in Hebrews four not one. The rest which is the Gospel, and the rest God took on the seventh day.

They are not the same.

We who believe do enter into the rest which is the Gospel. This is seen in verse 2 and 3.

Verse 4 says He, God spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest from all His works.
This was spoken as commandment.

Verse 5 say in this again. In this again what?
In this again He speaks of the seventh day if we enter into His rest which is the Gospel.

Verse 9 and 10 speaks in reference to verse 5. Verse 10 says the same thing but in different words. And by the use of the word also makes a clear cut distinction between the Gospel rest in which we have entered and the rest that God did when He rested from all His works. The text states that we who Have entered into his rest which is the Gospel mentioned previously ALSO cease from our own works AS God did from His. God did not enter into the Gospel rest. He ceased His work on the Seventh Day. So, we AS He cease from our own work as He did on the Seventh Day

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Heb 4:9 there remains, then, a Sabbath rest to the people of God,
Heb 4:10 for he who entered into his rest, he also rested from his works, as God from His own.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟43,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And Hebrews three tells us what their lack of faith was. It is Sin, any sin is showing unbelief, lack of faith.

They refused God's Spirit and the Life He offers through it,. Which is the true promised land and the Gospel that verse 4:2 brings out that we who have believe partake of. (see verse 3}

Heb 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 3:7-11 refer to two specific events. The rebellion at Massah and Meribah and the incidents with the 12 spies that were sent out to spy the land. These incidents do indeed highlight the reason that the Isreites could not enter God's rest which, by inference was the promised land. (That is where the 40 year exile occured)

As you pointed out the sin was unbelief.
Two rests mentioned in Hebrews four not one. The rest which is the Gospel, and the rest God took on the seventh day.
This is not appear to be the case. Hebrews four verse one states:Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

This appears to tie “his rest” to the rest of God’s people who are in Christ. So it would seem that God’s rest and the rest that remains for us is one and the same.
They are not the same.

We who believe do enter into the rest which is the Gospel. This is seen in verse 2 and 3.

Verse 4 says He, God spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest from all His works.
This was spoken as commandment.

Verse 5 say in this again. In this again what?
In this again He speaks of the seventh day if we enter into His rest which is the Gospel.

Verse 9 and 10 speaks in reference to verse 5. Verse 10 says the same thing but in different words. And by the use of the word also makes a clear cut distinction between the Gospel rest in which we have entered and the rest that God did when He rested from all His works.
I see no distinction being made between God’s rest and the rest in God that we can enjoy. We enter “his rest“ not our rest and his rest is the subject of Hebrews three and four. I think this is a clear that the sabbath rest is the anti-type for salvation by grace.
The text states that we who Have entered into his rest which is the Gospel mentioned previously ALSO cease from our own works AS God did from His. God did not enter into the Gospel rest. He ceased His work on the Seventh Day. So, we AS He cease from our own work as He did on the Seventh Day
I think this misses the point of Hebrews three and four. What the writer of Hebrews is saying indicates that the sabbath rest is a symbol of the rest we find in Christ. Just as God ceased from his works we can cease from our works when we are at rest in Christ by faith and covered by his imputed righteousness which perfects us forever.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Heb 4:9 there remains, then, a Sabbath rest to the people of God,
Heb 4:10 for he who entered into his rest, he also rested from his works, as God from His own.

Upvote 0