Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is something we can agree on.

Yes, lots of variables at play.

It appears that we are in agreement that the sightings are something that can not be explained. All we have are reputable people claiming to have seen something that can not be explained.

What does Occam's razor say about something that cannot be explained?
The razor does not provide us with any guidance. If we cannot explain a phenomenon at all, then we cannot say which explanation is simpler.​
If we were to encounter a flying saucer, we would not be able to explain it using any of the known laws of physics. We would have two options: either the flying saucer is a physical object that we do not yet understand, or it is something supernatural. Occam's razor cannot help us decide between these two options, because both of them are equally complex.​
Do you really think it is wise to discuss a rule of thumb that is not always accurate?
What rule of thumb is

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does Occam's razor say about something that cannot be explained?
Anything can be explained given sufficient information. OR says that the simplest. most parsimonious, explanation is most likely to be true. So, while alien spaces ships may be on the list of possible explanations. they're way down near the bottom. Neither simple nor parsimonious. Using OR, you'd have to exhaust all possible terrestrial explanations before you wandered off-world.
;

The razor does not provide us with any guidance. If we cannot explain a phenomenon at all, then we cannot say which explanation is simpler.​
If it really can't be explained at all, then all discussion is futile. It becomes solely an article of faith. My faith lies elsewhere.
If we were to encounter a flying saucer, we would not be able to explain it using any of the known laws of physics.​
There you've departed the envelope of controlled flight. The laws of Physics are the Laws of God, not something made up by humans. Flying saucers aren't exempt. If they have mass, then they're subject to all the constraints of any other object possesing mass. No magic allowed.
We would have two options: either the flying saucer is a physical object that we do not yet understand, or it is something supernatural.​
It it's supernatural, then we needn't worry about it. The supernatural is subject to the will of God like everything else.

Do you really think it is wise to discuss a rule of thumb that is not always accurate?​
I'd be keen to hear about any exceptions.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything can be explained given sufficient information. OR says that the simplest. most parsimonious, explanation is most likely to be true. So, while alien spaces ships may be on the list of possible explanations. they're way down near the bottom. Neither simple nor parsimonious. Using OR, you'd have to exhaust all possible terrestrial explanations before you wandered off-world.
;
You must have missed this:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You must have missed this:

Nope, I saw it. Insufficient data ro explain what was seen. Parsimony still applies, space men and flying saucers aren't a parsimonious explanation. This ain't Star Trek.
you still don't get it or you are purposely making things up.

In either case:
1690940060838.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You lack Faith
Lack of faith in flying saucers? You betcha I do! My faith is expressed in the ancient creeds of the Church. None left for little green or grey men, photoshop starships, "defied the laws of physics" blatherskite, or any other such rubbish. Show me some credible evidence and I may change my mind. Until then, it's all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0