Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He takes us to Genesis 1:2 for a reason in Jeremiah 4. It's the same exact description. That's not just some random comment. That's my belief. I know others believe differently and that's fine with me. Again, I was stating one does not have to believe in evolution to believe the earth is old.
He isn’t talking about Genesis 2 and it’s Jeremiah that is doing the talking in that portion. Jeremiah was describing what he saw in a vision that was going to happen if the Jews didn’t repent. He wasn’t looking at creation, what he saw had nothing to do with Genesis 1 or 2. He was looking at the destruction of the world that would happen in the future not what took place in the past. People can believe whatever they want but truth isn’t subjective to belief and there’s only one truth. The Bible shouldn’t be viewed as a choose your own belief system book, it’s a history book that also contains prophecies that tells a specific story of what took place. You can’t take a passage out of context and attribute portions of it to other events. None of that passage is referring to what happened in the past all of it was referring to what was going to happen in the future if the Jews didn’t comply with God’s demands. The destruction and void earth was all what was going to happen in the future it has nothing to do with the void earth at creation.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He takes us to Genesis 1:2 for a reason in Jeremiah 4. It's the same exact description. That's not just some random comment. He's warning them about what happened before. That's my belief. I know others believe differently and that's fine with me. Again, I was stating one does not have to believe in evolution to believe the earth is old.
In that passage in Jeremiah 4 there was death everywhere. Death didn’t enter the world until after Adam was created. So your interpretation implies that death came into the world before Adam was created. And if the earth is 4 billion years old and man was created 300,000 years ago that puts man’s creation at the last 0.0075% of the entire existence of the earth. That means that man was not created in the beginning like Jesus said in Matthew 19:4, that puts man’s creation at the very very end of the timeline. Just to put it in perspective, according to the math if the timeline was an entire mile long man’s creation would be at the last 4.8 inches of that mile long timeline. That’s nowhere near the beginning.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible shouldn’t be viewed as a choose your own belief system
I never stated it was but when God states specifically that he did not create the earth tohu. I believe that. I believe it became that way. That's what I read from the scriptures especially when we take some words back to the Hebrew. I'm not pulling that out of thin air.

And I see these verses mirroring each other.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

Jeremiah 4:23 "I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light."

Both describe the earth in a ruined state with no light. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think he's talking about the prior age to this one. And it also coincides with Peter's statement that the heavens are of "old". Six or seven thousand years is not old. But I try and take the bible as a whole and I don't believe that the bible and science are at odds with the age of the earth.

We can't just dispute fossilized animals here in the US that would normally live in the climate of Africa, etc. Dinosaurs did not exist with flesh men. And there's a reason that the map of the world looks like a puzzle that used to fit together and so on. These things are reality. It was a fruitful place. And when I see scriptures like Jeremiah 4 I can see it. He states that the mountains trembled and all of the hills moved. That's why the globe looks like it does. He started again with this one separated the waters and man in the flesh and we had a new beginning.

But he's warning that's what happened before and that's what's going to happen again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never stated it was but when God states specifically that he did not create the earth tohu. I believe that. I believe it became that way. That's what I read from the scriptures especially when we take some words back to the Hebrew. I'm not pulling that out of thin air.

And I see these verses mirroring each other.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep."

Jeremiah 4:23 "I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light."

Both describe the earth in a ruined state with no light. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think he's talking about the prior age to this one. And it also coincides with Peter's statement that the heavens are of "old". Six or seven thousand years is not old. But I try and take the bible as a whole and I don't believe that the bible and science are at odds with the age of the earth.

We can't just dispute fossilized animals here in the US that would normally live in the climate of Africa, etc. Dinosaurs did not exist with flesh men. And there's a reason that the map of the world looks like a puzzle that used to fit together and so on. These things are reality. It was a fruitful place. And when I see scriptures like Jeremiah 4 I can see it. He states that the mountains trembled and all of the hills moved. That's why the globe looks like it does. He started again with this one separated the waters and man in the flesh and we had a new beginning.

But he's warning that's what happened before and that's what's going to happen again.
Jeremiah never said anything about it happening before. You’re inserting that assumption into your interpretation. You’re ignoring the fact that Jesus did say that man was created in the beginning. That is something that the Bible does actually state. And you’re ignoring the fact that the Bible says that death had not entered into the world until Adam sinned. Your ignoring verses that are plainly stated and applying verses from Jeremiah to an event that they are not even talking about just because of a similar wording that was used. The scientific evidence for an old earth is based off of predictions and assumptions, even scientists admit that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We can't just dispute fossilized animals here in the US that would normally live in the climate of Africa, etc.

Dinosaurs did not exist with flesh men.

And there's a reason that the map of the world looks like a puzzle that used to fit together and so on.
All three of these are based on man made assumptions and best guesses of what happened, they’re not facts they’re theories. Evidence and proof are two completely different things. The Bible is not evidence, it’s proof of what happened because it comes directly from God. God doesn’t need to guess about anything. What your doing is taking the best guesses of man and trying to bend the scriptures in such a way to support man’s guesses instead of just accepting what the Bible clearly states.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what the Bible clearly states
He clearly states he did not create the earth tohu/void/vain. So he did not start from that point. He created it to be inhabited. The bible also clearly states the heavens are of "old".

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He clearly states he did not create the earth tohu/void/vain. So he did not start from that point. He created it to be inhabited. The bible also clearly states the heavens are of "old".
”Israel has been saved by the Lord With an everlasting salvation; You will not be put to shame or humiliated To all eternity. For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), “I am the Lord, and there is none else.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭45‬:‭17‬-‭18‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Isaiah 45:18 is talking about WHY He created the world. He created it to be inhabited, it doesn’t say HOW He created it. Look at the verse right before verse 18. Israel was saved because God created the world with a purpose. Isaiah 45:18 isn’t saying HOW God created it, it says WHY He created it. If you’re going to use that verse to say HOW He created it then you have to ignore the fact that He created it in 6 days. So for the first two days there wasn’t any life on the planet at all. And no fish, birds, or animals until the fifth day. So obviously there was a prior during the creation process that life did not exist and the earth was void.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You’re trying to mix what scientists say with what the Bible says but even science doesn’t say that the earth was created already inhabited. Scientists say that the earth was void for billions of years before any life at all began. What you need to realize is that science doesn’t tell us what happened in the creation of the world, it gives us plausible explanations of what may have happened. That’s not proof, it’s evidence. Evidence doesn’t always result in truth especially when there’s missing information. Let me give you an example. Let’s say you and I are walking along a beach and we come to a jellyfish laying on the beach and I ask you how it got there. You see several other jellyfish laying on the beach and even watch as the waves wash a jellyfish onto the beach. Then you conclude that the waves probably washed it up on the beach. That’s certainly a viable explanation. Then we see a camera on a pole pointed at the beach and we go and watch the video recording. The camera is a reliable source, it doesn’t lie and it only shows the truth of what actually took place with no assumptions made. And on the camera footage we see a guy fishing and as he reels in his line the jellyfish got hooked on it and was dragged on shore. As plausible and viable as your explanation was due to the surrounding evidence it was still wrong. What your doing here is ignoring what the camera says and holding on to your plausible explanation.

Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say the first days were literal 24 hour days cannot be when the lights that institute a 24 hour period: the sun, moon, and stars that causes seasons and days were not even created until 4th day. At very least we can deduct that these 4 days were not 24 hour periods.
It is written that God created light on the first day. What if the first and subsequent days were each based on a full rotation of the earth, and the later creation of the greater light (sun), lesser light (moon), and stars were created on the fourth rotation for signs, seasons, days, and years, as is also written?

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of those objects cause seasons. Seasons happen because the earth is tilted at 23.5 degrees on its axis. Not all places on earth experience seasons as in summer winter spring and fall some just wet or dry season.
Agree. It is written that the lights were created "to divide the day from the night," and "for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To say the first days were literal 24 hour days cannot be when the lights that institute a 24 hour period: the sun, moon, and stars that causes seasons and days were not even created until 4th day. At very least we can deduct that these 4 days were not 24 hour periods.
The lights don’t institute the length of day and night, the rotation of the planet does. Regardless of the light source the only thing that would change the time period would be the rotation of the planet.

Reactions: Rev20
Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God created us,He didnt evolve us from bacteria to fish to ape and then human. We was created perfect from the beginning,but now we are disintergrating from sin.
Modern genetics supports the created man rather than the evolved man. For example, the research of the late Eric Davidson of Cal Tech reveals that there is no redundancy in the subcircuits of the developmental Gene Regulatory Network (dGRN), so any change (e.g., by mutation) is catastrophically bad. Thus "the embryos of each species develop in only one way."

Eric H. Davidson, "Evolutionary Bioscience as Regulatory Systems Biology." Developmental Biology, Vol.357, Iss.1, Sept 1, 2011, p.40

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What your doing here is ignoring what the camera says and holding on to your plausible explanation.
And what you're doing is ignoring a complete history that had to have happened before day one of this present age.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth period. That would be the real beginning. It doesn't state he created the heaven and then later the earth. It states in the beginning he created the heaven and the earth. We are given no time frame at that point. Time obviously wasn't even a factor. But we have to conclude that the angels were created, lived with God and then Satan rebelled, etc. all before day one of this present age. You are trying to cram all of that into 7 days which includes nothing of that time period only the restoration of this present age which yes, does have a beginning starting with day one and took 7 days.

You always use and stand by this verse but that is about this present age and more about the sabbath and the fact that God rested on the 7th.

Exodus 20:11 "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

And the word made can mean, furnish, dress, finish, and so on.

Genesis 2:3 "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Yes, some creating did go on in this present age as in male, female, animals, etc but that doesn't take away from the fact that in the beginning he created the heaven and the earth. And in that span there were angels created, a rebellion, etc. all before day one. We have no idea how long that time period was.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep." And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

And we don't know how long the earth was in this state before day one of this present age. And it certainly can be translated "became without form and void". Which would also explain why it's covered in water. And coincides with Peter's teaching the heavens are of "old" and the world that "was" -being overflowed with water, perished.

I'm not arguing that the Bible has to agree with the science on all matters. I certainly don't believe in evolution and Gen 8:22 tells me I don't have to worry about the climate. But I don't think the Bible disputes the science on the age of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, some creating did go on in this present age as in male, female, animals, etc but that doesn't take away from the fact that in the beginning he created the heaven and the earth. And in that span there were angels created, a rebellion, etc. all before day one. We have no idea how long that time period was.
I am unaware of any rebellion before day one:

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am unaware of any rebellion before day one:
The rebellion had to take place before this present age because the serpent (which we know from Revelation is Satan) has already fallen and is considered the enemy.

At one time he wasn't. He was perfect in every way until iniquity was found in him. He was the anointed cherub that covered. Many OT passages like the King of Tyre, Lucifer etc have that double meaning and refer to him But we get glimpses of that time period through those passages. He was a morning star at one point. We don't know how long that span was.

And we know the angels were created before day one of this present age. So they certainly had a beginning which has to do with verse one and not of the 7 days which started with day one. And since we know they were created in verse one, so was the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The rebellion had to take place before this present age because the serpent (which we know from Revelation is Satan) has already fallen and is considered the enemy.

At one time he wasn't. He was perfect in every way until iniquity was found in him. He was the anointed cherub that covered. Many OT passages like the King of Tyre, Lucifer etc have that double meaning and refer to him But we get glimpses of that time period through those passages. He was a morning star at one point. We don't know how long that span was.

And we know the angels were created before day one of this present age. So they certainly had a beginning which has to do with verse one and not of the 7 days which started with day one. And since we know they were created in verse one, so was the earth.

The first instance of Satan's fall was in the garden, which was on or (more likely) after the 6th day.

The scripture seems to indicate that the angels were created before the creation of the earth.

"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. . . When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" -- Job 38:4, 7 KJV

The sons of God mentioned in that passage are referred to as angels in the LXX. In the New Testament Jesus refers to newly chosen sons of God "as the angels," and "equal unto the angels."

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that God created the angels first, and then the heaven and earth. But what does God mean by "heaven" in Genesis 1?

If God's throne is in heaven, and his throne is forever, then the heaven in Genesis 1 is likely a different heaven, such as our atmosphere where the birds fly as mentioned in verse 20, and/or the earth itself as alluded to in verses 6-10.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth period. That would be the real beginning. It doesn't state he created the heaven and then later the earth. It states in the beginning he created the heaven and the earth. We are given no time frame at that point.
But we are given a time frame for the creation of the heavens and the earth in Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:11.

”Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭2‬:‭1‬-‭3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.“
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭20‬:‭11‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

According to this Genesis 1:1 took place during the six day creation.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But we have to conclude that the angels were created, lived with God and then Satan rebelled, etc. all before day one of this present age. You are trying to cram all of that into 7 days which includes nothing of that time period only the restoration of this present age which yes, does have a beginning starting with day one and took 7 days.
To my knowledge the Bible doesn’t tell us when the angels fell, only that it took place before Adam was 130 years old. We also don’t know when Adam & Eve fell, only that it took place before he was 130 years old. Are you thinking that “the heavens” in Genesis 1:1 is referring to Heaven? God’s kingdom? Because that particular usage of kosmos is typically understood as referring to the universe. We don’t know when God created Heaven and His Kingdom is always referred to as Heaven, not the heavens.

Upvote 0