Step by Step Guide to Witnessing

Otisreborn

Jan 18, 2007
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sharky, you are definitely due some praise for your efforts, so here is your helping.......Keep working hard my friend. But I must say this. When people have a stranger start asking them questions like, "Are you a good person?" and "Can I drill you to see if you are who you say you are?" they either feel attacked, insulted, or they get indignant with feelings that you think you are a saint. I will not tell you to stop, but I will suggest that you might think of "tuning" your methods, so to speak.

The main goal of witnessing is to bring people to Jesus. Nothing more nothing less. After that, Jesus does the saving, not us. Glory and praise to God in Jesus' name forever, amen!

In witnessing, bringing people to Jesus, we are showing people that we have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and they, too, can have a relationship with him, and that he WANTS a relationship with them.

The non believer wants and needs to see the face of Christ for them to say, "I believe." Everyone needs to have the spiritual experience FIRST, and then God's truth will be revealed to them through the scripture. The non believer will get nothing from reading or hearing scripture, they must believe first.

You need to find out if the person believes that Christ merely existed as a man and died, or if he lives on eternally. Find out if they believe in the resurrection.

This is where the actual witnessing comes in. You have to show that person how Christ showed you his face, how YOU witnessed his saving grace in you.

The overall key of the conversation is to make it about CHRIST, not the person. It isn't about me, it isn't about you, it is about Jesus.

Bringing people to Jesus, that is the goal, and our duty as Christians.
Jesus feeds the five thousand:
Mark 6:35-39
By this time it was getting late in the day, so his disciples came to him. "This is a remote place," they said, "and it's already very late. Send the people away so they can go to the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat."
But he answered, "You give them something to eat."
They said to him, "That would take eight months of a man's wages! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it them to eat?"
"How many loaves do you have?" he asked. "Go and see."
When they found out, they said, "Five--and two fish."
Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass.

You know what happens next, right? Jesus told the disciples that it wasn't about them, nor up to them to feed, clothe, shelter, or save the people. All they needed to do was bring them to him, and he would take it from there. This is why we witness.

You need to open up your heart to them, not attempt to extract theirs from them. Make it real, make it human. Tell them a story, YOUR story of salvation. Get their attention focused on Jesus and let him captivate their hearts with feelings of hope.

The only questions you need to ask are:
What is your relationship with Jesus Christ?
If they answer, "I don't have one" now is when you need to witness.

So lets play it out here. You are the non believer and I have just asked you what your relationship with Jesus Christ is, and you answered that you don't have one. I am now witnessing.

And this is my true witness in real life also, here it is.

I was once the source of a world full of trauma for other people, including my own immediate family, and seeing what it did to those people was my greatest trauma. It made me sick.

I won’t repeat the things I said, but I haven’t always been a Christian. The way I treated Christians and people of other religious belief was absolutely apauling.

My parents started out raising my siblings and me in the Christian life. We went to church, I participated in plays and played musical instruments and all those things.

It turned out that the pastor of our church was beating his wife while ministering to the congregation.

My father removed every Bible from our house and sat us all down and told us that Christianity was the devil and to stay away from it.

I look back now and think my father had misplaced his trust. That he trusted and put his faith in our pastor, a mere man, instead of God. He was worshiping the pastor instead!

After all that I became a very manipulative person. I was a bully. Not physically, but worse, mentally. I sought nothing more than to crush the minds of others and take their will from them.

I was a starved soul, empty of all life, so I took everyone else’s.

It wasn’t long before drugs were involved, and then it became that I would do anything to get the money I needed to get them. I stole from my own flesh and blood, and manipulated them into giving me money or other things that I could sell for the money.

It appeared that I had made everyone hate me.

Then one day I found myself sitting on a cold, hard, cement bed, and trying to stare out a small clear spot in a window that was completely fogged so no one could see out of it. I was behind bars.

Even after all I had done, it was all of those very same people that I had crushed and stolen from, and manipulated, both my own flesh and blood, and even more so than them, people who weren’t even related to me came to me to help me! I couldn’t believe it. After all I had done.

When they needed me most, I abandoned them and left them for dead, but when I needed them, they were there in the blink of an eye. I had seen the face of God!

All of those people that I had persecuted are now my greatest allies in life. How could I possibly go back!!??

I believe God is real, he is alive to me, and I will never forget the day he showed me his face.

Just tell them your story. If they decide they want a relationship with Jesus, then they will have one. But say nothing more after that than a good luck! or a have a good day!, etc. Praise them, and THANK them for listening to you, and make sure you thank God, in Jesus name right there for them to see.

Good luck brothers and sisters! God Bless creation.

Reactions: magiani
Upvote 0

shadowravenfox

Sep 25, 2006
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The original post is an excellent method for witnessing to the lost. I recommend this site: http://www.wayofthemaster.com. I have three different WOTM videos on my CF homepage. I encourage each poster here to watch them. Something to think about: You just may be the only Christian to tell them about God's judgment and His grace through the Cross of Jesus before they die. And remember, if a person dies in their sin, they will go to hell.

Upvote 0

STREETPREACHER76

Mar 29, 2007
Michigan
✟15,352.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I LIKE THE WAY THAT KIRK CAMERON AND RAY COMFORT WITNESS.THEY BRUNG OUT THE LAW FIRST TO AWAKING THERE CONSINCE AND WITH THE LAW BREAK THEIR HEARTS IN" ROMANS 7:7 IT SAYS WHAT SHALL WE SAY THEN?IS THE LAW SIN?CERTANINLY NOT!ON THE CONTRARY, I WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN SIN EXCEPT THROUGH THE LAW" THAN THAT WILL LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE SINNERS AND THAT THEY WILL BE JUGDE ON JUGDEMENT DAY AND THAT THEY WILL GOTO HELL , BUT GOD GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM SHALL NOT PERISH (HELL) BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.UNLESS A MAN BE BORN AGAIN HE CAN NOT SEE THE KINGDOM OF GOD.TAHT IF YOU CNFESS WITH YOUR MOUTH THE LORD JESUS AND BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART THAT GOD RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD YOU SHALL BE SAVED.WHOSOEVER CALLS UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED AMEN :preach:

Upvote 0

Otisreborn

Jan 18, 2007
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry folks, but you can't just go around telling people they are going to hell. The only people on Earth that have never heard the story of Jesus before are the people still living indigenously. They know the story.

Non believers are not going to believe because it says it in the Bible. If they were, they'd have already believed along time ago.

You can' just go around telling people they are going to hell, or the first thing they are going to want to do is kill you, and they will just be driven even further away from God than they already are. That is the #1 issue with Christianity today.

No one has a spiritual experience and becomes reborn from reading scripture. They have the spiritual experience first, are reborn, and then gain wisdom and understanding from scripture.

Guess what? The non believer has probably read the Bible even more than you have. Believe it.

People don't just say, "Oh, hey, I think I'll start believing in God today, even though it makes no logical sense to me and I never have before, because a stranger read some words to me from the Book."

People FEEL the power of cross and feel their salvation by the grace of God and then believe. Because God showed them his power.

Did Abraham just decide there was a God and believe? Or did God speak to him, and he felt God's presence, then did whatever God asked?

Noah? Moses?

We all know better. Especially the mega evangelists.

The only one of them who actually knows what he's doing is Billy Graham.

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I am sorry folks, but you can't just go around telling people they are going to hell.

Agreed, if you just tell someone that they are going to hell then it isn't right. But take the time to open up the law and show people their need of the Saviour.

The only people on Earth that have never heard the story of Jesus before are the people still living indigenously. They know the story.

Just think about that statement. I on breathe you say they never heard, then you say they know the story...:confused:

Non believers are not going to believe because it says it in the Bible. If they were, they'd have already believed along time ago.

Correct, they will only believe when God grants them repentance. (2 Tim 2:25)

You can' just go around telling people they are going to hell, or the first thing they are going to want to do is kill you,

umm.... Jesus was killed, so was the Apostle Paul and Peter etc. So why should we expect anything better? Men love darkness so they will hate you for sharing the truth.

and they will just be driven even further away from God than they already are.

They are already going to hell because of their sin, so really it isn't going to do anything.

That is the #1 issue with Christianity today.

No the number #1 issue is that Christians no longer want to do things God's way they invent new ways of doing things that don't work. (i.e. Modern evangelism).

No one has a spiritual experience and becomes reborn from reading scripture. They have the spiritual experience first, are reborn, and then gain wisdom and understanding from scripture.

Romans 1:16 disagree's with you. As does Romans 10:13-14. The scripture is what reveals the gospel. It has nothing to do with experiance, but rather it is God's Word that is powerful.

That is why Paul commands Timothy to PREACH THE WORD!

God takes His Word, and saves them.

Guess what? The non believer has probably read the Bible even more than you have. Believe it.

What do you base your information on? I lead regular evangelistic outreaches, and only a very low perecent of sinners have read the Bible.

People don't just say, "Oh, hey, I think I'll start believing in God today, even though it makes no logical sense to me and I never have before, because a stranger read some words to me from the Book."

Agreed, they can't believe or be saved until God allows them. (John 1:12-13; 2 Tim. 2:25... to name a few)

People FEEL the power of cross and feel their salvation by the grace of God and then believe. Because God showed them his power.

Hebrews 11:6 disagrees with your opinion.

Did Abraham just decide there was a God and believe? Or did God speak to him, and he felt God's presence, then did whatever God asked?

God spoke to him, and today through His word He speaks to us. (Heb. 1:1-2)

The only one of them who actually knows what he's doing is Billy Graham.

Billy Graham has admitted that less than 5% of those who respond at his crusades actually go on in their faith. That is a fall away rate of 95%!

Far better to look at men like; Wesley, Whitefield, Spurgeon etc. that had 80% + retention rate. Also look at the message they preached to see that it was a lot different to most modern preachers today.

A forsaking of the Word of God in evangelism is a critical error. The Word is our Sword, lets not throw it away just because people may not like it.

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. - 2 Timothy 4:1-2

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AMEN Willo.

Even those professing to be christians can not tell you exactly why they believe. They are 'Trying it out' or hedging their bets... Best to believe and go to church just in case this christianity things holds true...
When you ask someone what sin is that is a christian, they pause, scratch their head and look off into space.
or they give some answer that has nothing to do with sin...

The problem we face today is sooooo many self proclaimed christians are not (I have no problem saying that when you look at the world, etc.). The Modern church is actually teaching them how to be more like the world.... prosperity, etc...

Upvote 0
S

Servant222

First, I did post the following item http://www.christianforums.com/t5310875-way-of-the-master-and-living-waters-ministry.html requesting more information about the financial structure and adherence to standards of accountability and transparency by The Way of the Master and the affiliated Living Waters Ministries.

I did recently have an opportunity to view one of the videos put out by The Way of the Master organization, and would make the following comments:

1. What they are proposing is quite confrontational compared to other witnessing strategies, and I personally find it hard to believe that it will win more people over to Christ compared to more traditional ways.

2. If this ministry is effective, I assume that if I went to Bellflower, California, or any other place where The Way of the Master organization has been active, I would at some point be engaged by someone on the street using this style of witnessing. This would be great if it were true, because in decades of being a Christian, I have only very occasionally run into a street proselytizer who asked me about my faith.

3. The only measurable test of a ministry's effectiveness is to determine if it results in an increase in church attendance in the area where it is being used. Specifically, the church is God's place where committed Christians gather and grow in their faith, and so an increase in church attendance is the only direct measure of effectiveness. So has there been an increase in church attendance in Bellflower, California, or other places where The Way of the Master witnessing strategy has been used?

I agree that we are not doing enough to share our faith, and people are dying before they truly have a chance to consider the message of salvation that Jesus Christ brings. But if the goal is to win more people over to Christ, then we have to be very careful to look at every single little thing that we do, and make sure that it in fact takes people towards that goal, rather than in the opposite direction. After all, it is their salvation that is at stake.

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
3. The only measurable test of a ministry's effectiveness is to determine if it results in an increase in church attendance in the area where it is being used. Specifically, the church is God's place where committed Christians gather and grow in their faith, and so an increase in church attendance is the only direct measure of effectiveness. So has there been an increase in church attendance in Bellflower, California, or other places where The Way of the Master witnessing strategy has been used?

That rings of pragmatism, the question isn't over how many people join a church, but rather was God glorified through the sharing of the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Servant222

That rings of pragmatism, the question isn't over how many people join a church, but rather was God glorified through the sharing of the gospel.

That is why I was careful to use the term "committed Christian". If someone truly accepts Christ, they will seek ways to grow in their knowledge of him by sharing the gospel with others. Since Jesus's time, the primary place to do this is with other believers; that is, in a church. It is not about numbers, but about embracing an environment where you can grow in your faith.

Every ministry must measure its effectiveness- otherwise, there is no way of determining whether it is working or not. Ray Comfort speaks of true and false conversions- the latter being where a person makes a profession of faith, but continues in a sin-filled life style. This is much less likely to happen if a new Christian joins a church, and learns more about living a Godly life.

I am sure there are some who grow in their knowledge of Jesus through their own personal study, but most Christians grow in their faith and glorify God by sharing their faith with other Christians in a church. That is why church attendance is such a good measure of effectiveness and commitment to your faith.

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you speak of is worldly.
The World Measures things as to effectiveness by numbers, statistics, etc....
The question is not if it is effective, the question is, is it biblical. The Law gives knowledge of Sin (How else would you prescribe we show someone what is sin.)
Without knowledge of sin you come to the cross for reasons other than salvation.
If you do not agree, then ask yourself this question:
Why do you believe? Why did you come to the cross? Salvation from/for what? In order to saved you must be in trouble, what are you saved from?
The thing is, there is only one reason to come to the cross. Any other reason causes one to be doomed for eternity.
I have seen the Church FILL UP with people because they were having a discussion on "Your best you NOW"... People loved hearing how to better improve their relationships, jobs, family, etc.... These are all worldly issues, What happens to any of these folks when they die if they have not repented of their sins, and put their faith and trust in Jesus (Who paid the fine for their sins)....
If you judge effectives, then how do you deal with Jesus on the cross, Bruised for our inequity, Seems to me he wasn't very effective, to die. Or how about the early apostles who were martyred for their faith, how effective is that?...
How would you handle Noah, who for about 100 years warned the residents in the area he lived of the wrath to come, yet the only ones who were saved were his family (that doesn't seem very effective).
We are to warn... Go....
Whether someone comes or not is between them and God. Not between Man and man. Yet it seems we are more interested in our man to man relationships and pleasing those around us than pleasing God.

Upvote 0
S

Servant222

The Bible is filled with references that speak to the effectiveness of Jesus's ministry. For example, here is the account of Jesus preaching at Tabgha on the Sea of Galilee.

Mathew 14:
13When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
15As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, "This is a remote place, and it's already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food."

16Jesus replied, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."

17"We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish," they answered.

18"Bring them here to me," he said. 19And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

The Bible also makes many references to the growth of the church; for example, here is a passage from Acts 2:

38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

The Fellowship of the Believers

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

If we are to be effective at spreading the Gospel, we need to be aware of what works, and what doesn't. This is not at all worldly; quite the contrary, as the passages above show, it is Biblical.

So again, I ask: are The Way of the Master and Living Waters ministries http://www.christianforums.com/t5310875-way-of-the-master-and-living-waters-ministry.html effective, and do they follow the ethical and financial guidelines expected of Christian organizations?

Upvote 0
S

Servant222

As a Church family, we support many ministries. But is it not natural for anyone that contributes to a Christian organization to want to know where their contributions go, and how effective they are? What is worldly about that? I would say you have an obligation to God to make sure that your contributions are used effectively and to His glory.

I have not yet contributed to Christian Forums- but will eventually do so because I think it is a very effective ministry. As a matter of fact, I think it is one of the most powerful ways to spread the Good News since the advent of radio broadcasting.

Upvote 0

dialee16

May 15, 2007
U.S.A
✟7,690.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is ok for converting people without a religion i guess, but not someone who already has a religion. A lot of godless people will shrug this off, so i might suggest being a little less ovoius, nosy, and to handle it slower. Witnessing is best done with baby steps i think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ryangrom

Jul 7, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
✟7,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Way of The Master has many videos available on YouTube for free to watch. I typed in a few episodes form the way of the master website that i really wanted to see, and they were on YouTube for free. To the skeptics on here, I recommend watching several episodes to see it in action. It seems so confrontational and you can picture things in your head that people could say that might make it tough BUT after watching many episodes, you become to see just how really effective it is. Its the way Jesus did it afterall guys.. They have different episodes towards different types of lost people from homosexuals, atheists, etc.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For some reason I have a hard time believing that the Apostle Paul would recommend this type of evangelism.

The Law was given to the Jews and not the Gentiles. Romans 5:13 KJV says: "For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law." So, if God didn't give us the Law how can He hold our sins against us.

We've got to make everyone understand that 'our' sins aren't what is sending us to hell, it's Adam's sin that has condemned us regardless if we have ever committed a sin or not (Romans 5:14).

The only way to escape the death sentence is by being in Christ (in God's family line). This is the message Paul preached, and it is the message we should be preaching.

Blessings
Alan

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying it is OK to Lie, Steal, Blaspheme, Idoly worship, Covet, Commit Adultery (lust), Murder (hate), disobey Parents, etc....

And by one mans Rebelion did Sin enter the world and from Jesus a way out.
Romans 5:12
[ Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ ] Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned—

For Paul said I did Not know sin BUT BY THE LAW.
You are not given the death sentence for another mans crime... (makes no sense) however You have broken the law and that is where the guilty sentence is given.

But if we preach the only way to escape the death sentence is to be in christ (what does that mean)... what is death? you mean our initial death?... And why must I die?... all these things are folly to them without presenting God's Law... Then they will understand why the death sentence is upon them and all and grasp what Christ Jesus died for THEIR sins (and not just Adam's)

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you are saying it is OK to Lie, Steal, Blaspheme, Idoly worship, Covet, Commit Adultery (lust), Murder (hate), disobey Parents, etc....

And by one mans Rebelion did Sin enter the world and from Jesus a way out.
Romans 5:12
[ Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ ] Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned—

For Paul said I did Not know sin BUT BY THE LAW.
You are not given the death sentence for another mans crime... (makes no sense) however You have broken the law and that is where the guilty sentence is given.

But if we preach the only way to escape the death sentence is to be in christ (what does that mean)... what is death? you mean our initial death?... And why must I die?... all these things are folly to them without presenting God's Law... Then they will understand why the death sentence is upon them and all and grasp what Christ Jesus died for THEIR sins (and not just Adam's)
I'm saying that Adam's (and Eve's) sin is what condemned the human race and not the peoples individual sins. What could you say to a person that had never committed a sin? How will you preach the Law to them? They will still die and go to hell without being born again because of Adam's sin.

Romans 5:14 (New International Version):

14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.

Blessings,
Alan

Upvote 0