Step by Step Guide to Witnessing

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Alot of christians are wondering 'Man, i wanna witness but i got no idea how!' Well, we're going to share with you a way to share your faith biblically and effectively and it's not some intellectual mumbo jumbo. It's a simple 4 step way to witness your faith. Remember this WDJD principle and you'll never get lost in a witnessing encounter. Alot of this has been based on biblical methods, Jesus' methods and teachings found from www.livingwaters.com. This method works for 1 on 1 with strangers, friends or even enemies ;). It can work with more than 1 person too but the priciple is the same.

The first step

is to know how to start a conversation. If you haven't been able to start a conversation with someone, just say 'Hi.' it could brighten up their day. Talk about the weather, talk about sports, talk about something that they can relate to.

"Hi there! How's it going?"
"Oh? Pretty good how are you?"

If they don't respond, don't worry too much about it. You'll just feel silly.

If they do respond, find the timing to swing into the spiritual. This is where it gets interesting.

W
"Would you consider yourself to be a good person?"
"Ah yeah pretty much."
"Can i ask you a few questions to see if that's true?"
"Sure! Go ahead."

D
Do you think you've kept the 10 commandments

"Have you ever told a lie?"
"Sure thing."
"If you tell lies what does that make you?"
"A liar?"
"Yep have you ever stolen anything?"
"Nope."
"Comon you just admitted to me you're a liar."
"Oh okay when i was young."
"If you steal things what does that make you?"
"A theif."
"Now Jesus said 'Whoever looks at a woman to lust after HAS already commited adultery in his heart.' ever done that?"
"Yep, plenty of times."

"Woah, what's your name?"
"Jordan."
"Ah Jordan, i'm Dave nice to meet you. Jordan by your own admission you're a lying, theiving adulterer at heart and you'll have to face God on judgement day."

J
Judgement

"If God judges you by the 10 commandments would you be innocent or guilty?"
"Guilty."

D
Destiny

"Would you be going to heaven or hell?"
"Heaven!"
"Why?"
"Because God is good!"
"Yep, you're right, He is good. Therefore He must punish sinners right? If i was a policeman, and my best friend went out and killed someone. Am i not, under the law, to go there and arrest him? But instead i said to myself 'Nah, he's my best friend, i'll let him go.' That will make me corrupt. Therefore if God is perfect and just, how can He just let us go. That would make Him corrupt right?"
"Oh i guess so."
"Again, where will you go? Heaven or hell?"
"Hell..."

THE GOSPEL (2 possible pathways)

1 PROUD HEART
"Now does that concern you?"
"Nope!"
"Are you sure that you're not concerned about it at all? Comon..."
"Nope, not concerned a bit."
"Okay, i'm sorry to hear that, have a nice day."

2 HUMBLE HEART
"Now does that concern you?"
"Yes!"
"Do you know what God did for you so you wouldn't have to go to hell?"
"No."
"He died on the cross. Took the punishment for us. We broke His law, He paid our fine. God offers you forgiveness for all of your sins. Would you like to know how to get it?"
"Yes!"
"You need to repent, basically you turn from your sin. You repent, and believe in Him, not just know Him, but trust in Him and obey what He tells you. Ask Him to forgive you and help you repent. Just pray to Him, call upon His name and He will hear you. That way, when you die, your sins are forgiven, and you can come into heaven with Him. That's His love for you, instead of giving you justice, He desires mercy."

Quite easy to do and remember. Practice with a friend or yourself. Just get a feel for it. If you can remember these points, you'll never get lost in a conversation. Good luck! :thumbsup:

PS: any changes that need to be made, mistakes etc, PM me i'll check it out.

EDIT: obviously you should be gentle throughout this conversation. i've changed it so that you don't sound like a maniac shouting at someone. Although with text, you can see things in many different ways.

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Windmill said:
That witnessing thing though feels somewhat a bit cruel though... doesn't it? If I were to do that to people in my class I don't think they'd feel very comfortable.

Better to feel uncomfortable now, rather than eternity without Christ.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
windmill, there are ways to incorporate the gospel into real life, knowing a few starter points will help you. For example, I use this way of showing sins with the Ten commandments, but most often in my own testimony. Saying it was when I saw I am a liar, a thief, an adulterer, ignored God (breaking first commandment), etc, that I saw my need of a Savior, and I go to Jesus for forgiveness of my sins, and God is with me and is changing my life as I obey Jesus Christ, my savior of sins. The most frequent way God has had me evangelize this way personally is with handwritten letters to family members explaining my conversion from being black sheep to now serving God.

And as we serve God and learn more of Jesus and His ways, He shows many creative ways to share the Gospel, and the 10 commandments are a great start (Paul says the Law taught him sin). Sin leads us to death, thank God for HIs savior from sin and death, Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Windmill said:
That witnessing thing though feels somewhat a bit cruel though... doesn't it? If I were to do that to people in my class I don't think they'd feel very comfortable.

There is another way to witness using the same priciple that Jesus used but would make people feel more comfortable.

Simply by doing it by your own 'self testimony'. Like what Rocklife said.

"Hey guys. Can i share with you something? I just became a christian like 10 weeks ago. The reason being is this. I've broken God's ten commandments. I've told lies, hated people, looked with lust and used God's name in vain. I'm a lying, murdering, adulterer at heart and i have to be punished by God because of it. How about you? Have you told lies? etc?"

Something like that. It's a better way to do it in front of your family members or friends. It helps greatly reduce the 'in your face' levels and rather points to you for your guilt. that way, they will realise that the situation you are in is the same that they are in.

But on the sujbect of trying to make people feel comfortable. We live in a perverse world where people will sin willfully with no conviction. You cannot witness to them and not want to see some kind of conviction. People get uncomfortable because they get convicted. They get worried and you'll learn this as you go. That getting people worried about their salvation is a powerful way to drive them to Christ which will bring fourth joy in speakable. I'm not talking about condemning them because you can't condemn them, they are already condemned if they don't believe.

I guess in your position, you can use the tactic above 'self testimony'. You'll learn as you get older that you have to be direct. Better them feeling uncomfortable than to perish.

Reactions: MelissaC
Upvote 0

BarryK

Feb 16, 2006
pocono mountains, Pennsyltucky
✟7,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Windmill said:
Being unconfortable is a natrual reaction that people have when they are face with reality. The reality is this; either they find salvation with Christ, or they find eternity without Christ. If you sere to walk by a lake, and see a person drowning, would it be cruel to point out to them that they were drowning, and not toss them a life preserver? ( ok, that is a lousey metaphore, but you get the picture.
The most important thing about witnessing, particulary with people that you deal with every day, in your case classmates, is to fast and pray for them continuoisly, (praying that is, you dont want to fast continuously) for a long time before you witness to them, ask The LORD to prepare their hearts to recieve the seeds that you sow there. Do not get doscouraged, many of the seeds you sow, you will not get to see them bear fruit, others wil bring in that harvest, some seeds will never take root, you will face much opposition, but you are in good company, so did JESUS,
above all elsy, pray, pray, and pray some more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

puresoul

Jan 21, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟176.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What about facing people who turn out to be of a different religion? I witnessed to some kids and gave them Bibles, and it turned out they were Muslin and their parents made them give them back, or they would tear it apart in front of them. Their parents were so mad at me, but the children wanted to become Christian. If I witness to someone who turns out to be Muslin or Jewish, then I'll be in alot of trouble. They would more than likely kill me! (Not literally, I mean they might start throwing stuff or yelling at me and hurt me)

What I try to do to avoid that is to leave pamplets and booklets and free stuff everywhere I go and on peoples door knobs or doorstep. That way they can decide for themself and I won't have to wear helmets before witnessing.

Though I do need to practice, because I plan on becoming a missionary when I grow up.:sorry:

Upvote 0
BarryK said:
Being unconfortable is a natrual reaction that people have when they are face with reality. The reality is this; either they find salvation with Christ, or they find eternity without Christ. If you sere to walk by a lake, and see a person drowning, would it be cruel to point out to them that they were drowning, and not toss them a life preserver? ( ok, that is a lousey metaphore, but you get the picture.
The most important thing about witnessing, particulary with people that you deal with every day, in your case classmates, is to fast and pray for them continuoisly, (praying that is, you dont want to fast continuously) for a long time before you witness to them, ask The LORD to prepare their hearts to recieve the seeds that you sow there. Do not get doscouraged, many of the seeds you sow, you will not get to see them bear fruit, others wil bring in that harvest, some seeds will never take root, you will face much opposition, but you are in good company, so did JESUS,
above all elsy, pray, pray, and pray some more.
I'm so glad this was stickied. I use this principle and it really works.

Upvote 0

puresoul

Jan 21, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟176.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
wcwred said:
Want a real challenge witnessing? Try that with an athiest. I visited atheists.com and posted that. Some people just are not very nice.
Charles:amen:
I can totally relate. Those are the worst, apart from Jahovah's Witnesses. I just leave tracts at the moment. The only time I actually "witness" is when hanging out at the Christian booth at the flea market I go to and handing stuff to passer-bys and talking to them a bit, that's pretty much it for right now. Man, don't you just wish all Atheists would just get baptised already and stop being so stubborn? :sick:

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Willo said:
Better to feel uncomfortable now, rather than eternity without Christ.

When people get uncomfortable they dont listen. True its good to say what will happen if they dont come to christ. But it is also good to tell of the grace of god. Adn how he forgives and that when you ask for forgiveness it is as if they never happened in his eyes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ttreg

Myself
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟23,432.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ive wanted to witness but i have these fears and problems 1. im young so it would be hard to witness to older people 2. i dont talk much to people and im shy so i get nervous if i just talk to some stranger 3. im afraid i wont know what to say or forget what to say

Upvote 0