Akron
✟75,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The earth and the universe was created in 6 days, approximately 6000 years ago. History supports it.
History supports Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago. People look at the speed of light but they do not look at inflation or how fast the universe expands which is much faster than the speed of light.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't accept a literal account of Genesis because it is more figurative than historical.
Genesis is very Historical and very much Science. The very first thing we teach our sunday school students is about Joshua and the battle of Jericho. If you go to Jericho today you can still see the wall that came tumbling down. All these years God has preserved them for our edification. Even if they did not rebuild the wall you would think they would use the stones to build something else. But there are still there.

1713834471351.png

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't accept a literal account of Genesis because it is more figurative than historical. But I am not here to argue that with you. Believe what you like. I think natural history as we have so far come to understand it says more awesome things about God than a literal read of Genesis.
I believe what the Bible says. You don’t. I wouldn’t argue either if I were you. God reiterated a 6 day creation when explaining the Sabbath Day. Exodus 20:11. I’m still trying to understand why you don’t accept what the Bible says (saying it’s figurative and not literal at your discretion means you don’t accept what the Bible says).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Genesis is very Historical and very much Science. The very first thing we teach our sunday school students is about Joshua and the battle of Jericho. If you go to Jericho today you can still see the wall that came tumbling down. All these years God has preserved them for our edification. Even if they did not rebuild the wall you would think they would use the stones to build something else. But there are still there.

View attachment 346431
What we call the "Old Testament" is a compilation of many kind of literature. Some may have historic value.
But much is more about story telling for theological purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
History supports Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago. People look at the speed of light but they do not look at inflation or how fast the universe expands which is much faster than the speed of light.
A literal reading of the Bible tells us the God created everything in the universe, approx 6000 years ago - in 6 days.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What we call the "Old Testament" is a compilation of many kind of literature. Some may have historic value.
But much is more about story telling for theological purpose.
God giving us the history of creation and the history of the Jewish people is story telling? Wow

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I know what God has told us in the Bible. I don’t make things up like you tend to.
People are always guilty of what they accuse others of. I would not know if you did not tell on yourself like this. We need to go beyond what God says to study the language that He uses to say or speak to us. Even we are told that Jesus is the word of God. Jesus is the revelation of God and He is the logos or the logic and reason of God. I had a pastor who said we are to have the Mind of Christ and the Diving thoughts of God.

Philippians 2 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:

I can give you around 300 scriptures' that talk about what it means to have the Mind of Christ. Can you even give me three? Or should we just use our imagination and make things up?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m still trying to understand why you don’t accept what the Bible says (saying it’s figurative and not literal at your discretion means you don’t accept what the Bible says).
For one thing, it is the collection of documents of one culture, the Jews. God is the creator of all peoples and all times.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
People are always guilty of what they accuse others of. I would not know if you did not tell on yourself like this. We need to go beyond what God says to study the language that He uses to say or speak to us. Even we are told that Jesus is the word of God. Jesus is the revelation of God and He is the logos or the logic and reason of God. I had a pastor who said we are to have the Mind of Christ and the Diving thoughts of God.

Philippians 2 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:

I can give you around 300 scriptures' that talk about what it means to have the Mind of Christ. Can you even give me three? Or should we just use our imagination and make things up?

So use your mind...your Christ Mind. Why do you not believe EVERYTHING was created 6000 years ago? Perhaps your mind can begin with Why was EVERYTHING created?

Btw. Using your Mind as Christ has given you doesn’t give you liberty to change what the Bible says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For one thing, it is the collection of documents of one culture, the Jews. God is the creator of all peoples and all times.
So you don't accept the what the Bible says because God selected the Jews to deliver the message?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you don't accept the what the Bible says because God selected the Jews to deliver the message?
You are framing it all wrong.
The Jews are one people among many. God provides revelation to all people. They receive it in their own context, thus many religions. The Jews share with us a powerful narrative of friendship, salvation, faithfulness, and sacrifice. These are some of the most important aspects of our existence. These are what we should be gleaning form the Bible. Not Literal 6 day creation a few thousand years ago.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟55,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So use your mind...your Christ Mind. Why do you not believe EVERYTHING was created 6000 years ago? Perhaps your mind can begin with Why was EVERYTHING created?
The human mind does not want the truth.
Until a person is a new creation, they cannot think Jesus' thoughts.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟55,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of it is not history but theology.
A book of theology, a book of history, a book of truth,
delivered by the Creator,
is better than all the books of mankind about anything else ever.
The Creator determined before creating anything
to entrust His Word to the Jews
and for salvation to be available to all men through the Jews.

All the gentile nations were without Christ and without hope in the world.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you not believe EVERYTHING was created 6000 years ago?
WHY? Because I believe God talks to us though science. We should not put limits on God to say He only does this or that.

I believe Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago. Everything in the Bible is a history of the last 6,000 years.

Then we have Genesis chapter one. IF we follow science then the first day was 8 billion years. This means the word "day" means more then a 24 hour day, it means an age or an era. We disagree over the definition of ONE word in the Bible.

Although God created everything in a trillionth of a second. So if you want to say it took Him a whole week to do what HE did in an instant, then I suppose you are free to do what you want.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If a thousand years for us is but a day for God, in God's eyes this should make the earth 7 + 6 = 13 days old, am I right ?

That's not what St. Peter is talking about. Peter is not giving a formula of time for God that converts millennia into days, or days into millennia. Peter is saying time doesn't matter to God, so for us humans for which a single day and a thousand years are vastly different, for God there isn't any difference. So long periods of time matter to us, because we are tiny little mortal men with trivially short lifespans; but God is God--so when God keeps a promise, He keeps His promise, even if from our vantage point it takes a very long time. Peter's underlying point is this: You can trust that Christ will return, this is God's promise and it will happen, even if it is taking a long time from your perspective, nevertheless God will keep His promise: Jesus will return. Trust that.

As far as the age of the earth, don't use the Bible to do geological math. That's not an answer the Bible has, that's like trying to find a recipe for pecan pie in the Bible, it's just not what the Bible is interested in telling us, this is not a question the Bible addresses.

If you want to know how old the earth is you have to start looking at physical stuff to study. If you want to know how old a tree is, you can find that out by counting the tree rings. If you take an ice core sample, you can count the layers of annual melts and freezes to see how long that place has been frozen. You can know what the rate of atomic decay of certain elements are, then study samples of rock or fossils and do the math. Taking various disciplines of study, using a multitude of scientific processes, it is possible to learn how old things are, and work with these to figure out how old our planet is.

Over the last couple centuries, scientists have been learning how to do this, and doing this. And the more we study, the more we learn. At present, given everything we have learned, the scientific consensus is that earth is about 4.5 billion years old. That number might change, as science is always self-correcting, but given current knowledge that is the most accurate information we have available.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0