Indiana
✟13,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me Pentecost was in the year 29. So I believe that 2029 will be the 2,000 year anniversary of the church. We should buy a cake.

Neil DeGrasse has something to say about this day in 2029 and 2036

That is concerning the Asteroid dates that NASA has retracted. Most likely because Tom Horn connected the Apophis Asteroid impact with a verse in Revelation.

I think that there will be much more of an interest in the approach of Apophis than those interested in the April 8 2024 solar eclipse.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think that there will be much more of an interest in the approach of Apophis than those interested in the April 8 2024 solar eclipse.
I am amazed that more people do not seem interested in the 2000 year university of the church. There was a LOT of commotion back in the year 2,000. Everyone thought it was the end of the world. It was 206 or 2007 before people started to get over that. Everyone was looking at who was still here to see if they had gotten left behind.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟26,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In dispensational theology, the idea that “a day is like a thousand years” comes from 2 Peter 3:8. This verse suggests that God is outside of time, so for Him, there’s no difference between a day and a thousand years. It’s not meant to be taken literally; rather, it emphasizes God’s eternal perspective. In dispensationalism, this verse is sometimes used to discuss the timing of end-times events, but it’s not about literal days.
Silly.

Upvote 0

SMTA

Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
✟16,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It’s not a scientific question. It’s a historical question and history supports the earth was created 6000 years ago
Historical science says you are incorrect.
Science can prove empirically that the earth is millions of years old.
You are incapable of proving otherwise.
Words in books don’t count.
Real evidence does.

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't know you, and I don't yet understand all that you believe. But wouldn't it be better to understand where others are coming from than to reject their world view with a single dismissive word? It becomes an attack on a person rather than an elucidation of truth. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Platte
Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am amazed that more people do not seem interested in the 2000 year university of the church. There was a LOT of commotion back in the year 2,000. Everyone thought it was the end of the world. It was 206 or 2007 before people started to get over that. Everyone was looking at who was still here to see if they had gotten left behind.
What do you think will happen at the 2,000 yr anniversary?

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In this evil world, this wicked generation, dangerous as it is, many people accept science as if it is true , whether some of the time or most of the time. They do not realize how much is just for money today.

I think this brings up the issue of what to trust. A scientist at the side of Eve as the serpent spoke to her would have been able to take measurements, record findings, make hypotheses etc as part of the scientific method. And still all-the-while be fooled. It seems to me that God expects us to make use of our minds to make sense of the world around us. And that is what I try to do -- and yet, I have to realize that I may be bamboozled along the way.

"Ahh," I can imaging someone to say, "that is because you are getting ahead of yourself. You just need to read your Bible, and stop all this excessive thinking. God said it, just believe it, and you will be just fine." But is this true? Let's look at the other side. If we just take what the Bible says at face value, without understanding the true meaning, then we can likewise get fooled. Satan also knows the scriptures, and he used a Bible verse to try to trap Jesus during the temptation in the wilderness. Matt 4:5 and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, “‘He will command his angels concerning you,’ and “‘On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.’” (quoting Psalms 91).

Ultimately, like Jesus said (Matthew 10), we must "Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

It has been said that Nature is God's second book. Science is the study of that 2nd book, and it has an important role in life. It has to be done carefully. And so does study of God's first book.

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Various ways of thinking , verifying, testing, proving, ... are not only fallable, thus not to build upon, but also already dismissed in Scripture. Most all of mankind is bamboozled. And they choose not to seek God, not to seek truth, not to repent.
Can you give me some examples where the process of "thinking, verifying, testing, proving" has been "dismissed in Scripture"? I ask because my reading of scripture is that this is exactly what we are supposed to be doing. So I think we are approaching this from different directions.

Best wishes,
KT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why is it, it can't be millions of years old surley ???
The universe is billions of years old. We know that based on the expansion rate and how fast and how far light travels. The definition of the Hebrew for day is a little that holds a lot.

What do you think will happen at the 2,000 yr anniversary?
I think the church age will end and the kingdom age will begin. I am not sure how we will transition from one age to the next but lots and lots of people think there will be a 7 year tribulation period. Then we will have the 1,000 year reign of Christ but more and more I am thinking that is symbolic and Jesus will not physically return (set His feet on the earth) until the new heavens and the new earth.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟26,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Historical science says you are incorrect.
Science can prove empirically that the earth is millions of years old.
You are incapable of proving otherwise.
Words in books don’t count.
Real evidence does.
Silly.

What year did Alexander the Great die? Then tell me how we know this.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟26,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In this evil world, this wicked generation, dangerous as it is, many people accept science as if it is true , whether some of the time or most of the time. They do not realize how much is just for money today.
They use "selective science" to fit the narrative as they see it. Unless its provable science then science can mean many different things. And I'm not against science, but unless I can prove the science then I think it best to hold reservation on the science that is being invoked and not accept it as fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why is it, it can't be millions of years old surley ???
The universe is billions of years old. We know that based on the expansion rate and how fast and how far light travels. The definition of the Hebrew for day is a little that holds a lot.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟26,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The universe is billions of years old. We know that based on the expansion rate and how fast and how far it
Topic for another day but we don’t know how fast light travels. Einstein made assumptions on light speed.

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
KevinT said:

Can you give me some examples where the process of "thinking, verifying, testing, proving" has been "dismissed in Scripture"? I ask because my reading of scripture is that this is exactly what we are supposed to be doing. So I think we are approaching this from different directions.

Here is one of the most serious :
Luke 16:15b For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God.

"What is highly esteemed among men" is an undefined value. It is like a fill-in-the-blank. "____________________ is an abomination to God."

So what kind of thinks would we fill in that blank with? Would it be ANY set of attributes that men esteem? Would we use what Paul wrote of attributes he highly esteemed?

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

I would fill in that blank with a list more like below:

Rev 22:14 14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood."

I think it is unfair to use this text to support that ANYTHING that men esteem is an abomination to God. And also inappropriate to put the process of "thinking, verifying, testing, proving" into that list.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟14,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Topic for another day but we don’t know how fast light travels. Einstein made assumptions on light speed.
You are right that we can't exactly measure the on-way speed of light. Veritasium had a good video about this here. But that is not to say that this issue is not well understood, or that the light from galaxies far far away actually can arrive to our eyes in a short amount of time.

KT

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We have a rough idea of the speed of light but we do not have an exact number. There can be a bit of variation. As Einstein said time is relative. Quantum entanglement is faster than the speed of light. Not only can two particles anywhere in the universe communicate,, anywhere in history they can communicate. So partials that are 13 billion years apart can communicate with each other in real time. Just like today cars need to communicate with each other in real time to keep them from crashing into one another. Only this has to do with communication. They caution us that entanglement does not create anything. Or even have an effect. It is just communication. With a quantum computer you could communicate with everything everywhere in the universe in real time. There is an infinite number of possibilities. I had a dream once where God took me to the center of the universe. So I have wondered how I could go that far in an instant. Or how is it that we can communicate with our lost loved ones in Heaven in an instant?

To Kill a Mockingbird talks about a collective mindset. There is also a book called “Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds”. I remember during the beanie baby days when I sold a happy meal toy for $7 because of the "madness of crowds". We cashed in on that. My wife treated them like hot potatoes and wanted to sell them as quick as she could. We sold to dealers that resold them. So the people we sold to actually made money like we did. It was their customers that got holding the bag. Sometimes McDonalds made me take the meal. Even though I just wanted the toy. So we would take the food up to the church and feed it to the homeless people. I remember I use to get milk for the drink and there was a guy who was so grateful for milk to drink. Difficult to image people that are that poor.

Upvote 0