Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
17It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’ ”

18When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

This is the Lords speaking. He made the heavens and the earth in six days. ONLY the word day here is:

יָמִ֗ים
yā-mîm,
NOW we have a new ball game. The Lord uses a different word for "days".

The Hebrew word יָמִים (yamim) translates to "days" in English. It is the plural form of יוֹם (yom), which means "day." Like its singular counterpart, יָמִים (yamim) can refer to literal days, as in periods of 24 hours, or it can be used more broadly to signify a longer period of time, such as "days" in the sense of "times" or "ages."

The Hebrew word יָמִים (yamim) translates to "days" in English. It is the plural form of יוֹם (yom), which means "day." Like its singular counterpart, יָמִים (yamim) can refer to literal days, as in periods of 24 hours, or it can be used more broadly to signify a longer period of time, such as "days" in the sense of "times" or "ages."

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,941,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Diamond7, I'm confused, how does the Lord's use of the plural "yamim/days" in Exodus 31 (instead of "yom/day" that we find in Genesis 1, for instance) result in a "new ball game" :scratch:

The context/grammar necessitate the change to plural in Exodus 31, do they not (you would not say "in six DAY the Lord made the heavens and the earth" anymore that you would say, "there was evening and there was morning, one DAYS", or "there was evening and there was morning, a second DAYS", right)?

You are also correct that yom/yamim have more than one meaning (like most words do), and in Hebrew (perhaps even more than many other languages) context determines which meaning is correct.

I know that you are aware of all of this, so what am I missing here?

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
17It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’ ”

18When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

This is the Lords speaking. He made the heavens and the earth in six days. ONLY the word day here is:

יָמִ֗ים
yā-mîm,
NOW we have a new ball game. The Lord uses a different word for "days".

In Ex 20:11 it is God Himself writing the words and speaking them directly to all of Israel --

"for in six 'yom' H3117 the Lord made the heavens the earth the seas and all that is in them"

Gen 1:5 "the first 'yom" - the first day.

Ex 20:9 "for six days 'yom' you shall labor..."
Ex 20:11 "for in six days 'yom' the Lord Made"

Ex 31:17 "for in six days 'yom' " the Lord made

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Diamond7, I'm confused, how does the Lord's use of the plural "yamim/days" in Exodus 31 (instead of "yom/day" that we find in Genesis 1, for instance) result in a "new ball game" :scratch:
I use Bible Hub and I look at the Hebrew word. Then I go to Chat GPT to translate the Hebrew into English. In Genesis Moses uses a singular word and everyone says it mean a 24 hour day. But now I found a scripture in Exodus 31:17 where the plural version of the word is used. So now we can look up all the scriptures using the plural and it is used to mean an age or era.

The asked for Bible evidence and I gave them what they asked for but it took me a while to find it. I do believe we should be able to use the Bible to verify science and use science to verify the Bible.

Usually you look at context and let the bible interpret the bible. There are rules we all use for bible interpretation.

• Useful
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In Ex 20:11 it is God Himself writing the words and speaking them directly to all of Israel --
Try to focus yourself, the conversation is about the word yā-mîm, used in Exodus 31:17. What you should be doing is a study on every passage where that word is used to understand the meaning of the word. I now have bible evidence that a day in genesis chapter one can be an age or era and is associated with forever and ever. yā-mîm,

Ex 20:11 Uses the word yā-mîm for day also. So either one of them will work. The use of yō-wm in that passage has to do with the sabbath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,941,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @BobRyan, that's interesting.

The interlinears that I've seen so far, are like the one here: Exodus 20:9 Interlinear: six days thou dost labour, and hast done all thy work,
They use the transliteration "yamim" and translation "days" for the occurrences in the Decalogue. This goes beyond the very little that I know about Biblical Hebrew, so I'll ask my senior pastor for his help, as he studied Hebrew in seminary (and I'll let you know what he says).

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,941,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I use Bible Hub and I look at the Hebrew word. Then I go to Chat GPT to translate the Hebrew into English. In Genesis Moses uses a singular word and everyone says it mean a 24 hour day. But now I found a scripture in Exodus 31:17 where the plural version of the word is used. So now we can look up all the scriptures using the plural and it is used to mean an age or era.

The asked for Bible evidence and I gave them what they asked for but it took me a while to find it. I do believe we should be able to use the Bible to verify science and use science to verify the Bible.

Usually you look at context and let the bible interpret the bible. There are rules we all use for bible interpretation.
Thanks Diamond7. It seems to me that what we need is a bit more help with this, more than lexicons and an interlinear can offer, IOW. As I told Bob above, I'll ask my pastor, as he took 3 years of Biblical Hebrew in seminary, and he has used it regularly since then for sermon prep (for decades now).

I'll let you know what he says.

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,941,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrew Bible says: one day. Because it does not become a first until you have a second day.
That wasn't the point that I was making in my earlier post, but off hand, I'd agree with you.

Nevertheless, I'd like to take another look into this (and since I'll be talking to him about the Hebrew yom/yamim, I'll ask my pastor about Genesis 1:5's "one day", as well, as I'm sure that he'll know).

And I'll let you know what he says :)

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
t seems to me that what we need is a bit more help with this
People did not seem to think they needed help when they claimed that a day was 24 hours. They asked for a scriptural to show a day was a age or period of time and now I have found the scripture that they have been looking for. So we can use the Bible to interpret the Bible and we do not need science to interpret the Bible for us. Although Science gives us a greater understanding of how amazing God is and the wonders He has performed in His Creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟74,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you interpret Scriptures according to the context of that passage in the Bible, then you can determine which definitions apply for the words in that passage of Scripture. There are many examples of the Day of the Lord, the Last Days of prophecy. Obviously, in prophecy, "Day" is referring to a passage of time that is not 24 hours. However, in the creation verses of the Bible, the Hebrew word for "Day" is contextually defined as a 24 hour day.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
When you interpret Scriptures according to the context of that passage in the Bible, then you can determine which definitions apply for the words in that passage of Scripture.
You need to study up on the rules of how to interpret scripture. The scripture am I talking about is VERY VERY VERY much in context because God is talking about the 7 days of creation. Or six days and the sabbath. Genesis chapter one is very condensed and the rest of the Bible has passages that helps us to understand what Moses is showing us. My passage is written by Moses just like Genesis. Moses recorded what God said but God Himself is telling us that a day in Genesis is an age or era. Even forever and ever is used somewhere along the way. More for the future than the past. The Bible talks a lot about Ages and Era and Genesis Chapter one is no exception but is consistent with the rest of the Bible.

I was challenged to use scripture to interpret scripture and I met the challenge. I am convinced that God has all the answers and all the solutions in the Bible. WE use science to help us understand out Bible but I can agree with the rule that Bible should interpret Bible. That is why I took the challenge serious.

No one other than Jesus adds to what we receive from Moses. So I like to go back to Moses to verify doctrine. So it has to be Moses telling us that a day in Genesis is an age or Era. Or Jesus can add to what we receive from Moses in the Red Letters. For example when Jesus was challenged on his teaching on divorce and was asked why Moses allowed divorce. (Because of hardness of heart)

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
However, in the creation verses of the Bible, the Hebrew word for "Day" is contextually defined as a 24 hour day.
Again a day in Genesis one is singular. But God Himself tells us through Moses in Psalms that a day in Genesis one is plural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟74,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again a day in Genesis one is singular. But God Himself tells us through Moses in Psalms that a day in Genesis one is plural.
That Psalm is not talking about Creation.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That Psalm is not talking about Creation.
Psalm 77:5 I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.

There is something about "days of old" and "ancient times" that does not give me a picture of a young earth.

Perhaps old and ancient means something different to you than it does to me.

Just like Job 38:7 "When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

I am not sure what a morning star has to do with morning and evening in Genesis chapter one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟74,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have considered the days of old,.... Either the former part of his life, the various occurrences of it, how it had been with him in time past, what experience he had had of the divine goodness; so the Syriac version renders it, "I have considered my days of old"; or the preceding age, and what has happened in that, which his ancestors had acquainted him with; or rather many ages past, from the days of Adam to the then present time; at least it may include the Israelites coming out of Egypt, their passage through the Red sea and wilderness, the times of the judges, and what befell them in their days, and how they were delivered out of their troubles; as appears from the latter part of the psalm, and with which agrees the following clause:
the years of ancient times; .......of times long ago past; it is very useful to read the history of the Bible, with respect to ancient times, and so the ecclesiastical history of ages past, and observe the faith and dependence of the Lord's people upon him, and their deliverance out of trouble by him

Job 38:7
When the morning stars sang together,.... Either all the stars in a literal sense; for though, strictly speaking, there is but one morning star, yet all may be called so, because early created in the morning of the world; and are all stars of light, shine till the morning; and it is observed by some, that the nearer the morning the brighter they shine: and these in their way sing the praises of God, and set forth the glory of his perfections, and occasion songs of praise in men; see Psalm 148:3. Or figuratively, either angels, as most interpret them, comparable to stars for their glory, purity, and light, for their constancy, permanency, and numbers: or good men, particularly ministers of the word, and angels of the churches; who are stars in Christ's right hand, Revelation 1:20; but the principal morning star is Christ himself, Revelation 22:16.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟25,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

There is something about "days of old" and "ancient times" that does not give me a picture of a young earth.

Perhaps old and ancient means something different to you than it does to me.

Just like Job 38:7 "When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

I am not sure what a morning star has to do with morning and evening in Genesis chapter one.
The Sabbath Day according to Moses is a 24 hour day. You’re making something complicated that isn’t complicated.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath Day according to Moses is a 24 hour day.
The Bible could not be more plain that the 1,000 year reign of Christ is a Sabbath where man will rest from his works. This could be why Moses tells us a day is 1,000 years.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟74,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible could not be more plain that the 1,000 year reign of Christ is a Sabbath where man will rest from his works. This could be why Moses tells us a day is 1,000 years.
That's a new interpretation.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That's a new interpretation.
You never heard of Darby, you never heard of dispensationalism? This is the most easy to explain. There was a mass extinction at the end of the ice age when the earth was "formless and empty" 13,000 years ago. That is when the earth and age we live in began and it will end at the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ when there will be a new Heaven and a New Earth.

Bishop Ussher covers YEC of the last 6,000 years very well. He gives a lot of detail in his 2,000 page book. It was written 500 years ago so there is no bias for modern thought or modern science.

TE or Science is amazing in all we know about our Creator and Creation. Only as Paul says in Romans 1:25 they worship creation, rather than Creator. If you want to look at the first chapter in Genesis then OEC best explains that. It all depends on our perspective and what we are looking at.

Upvote 0