United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is a good question.

I seek God's wisdom and guidance in sharing my faith with anyone. I have tried it on my own and it just does not work out very well. He will give you the right opportunity and the right words to say to someone.

I live in a small town and I go to the grocery store quite a bit. There is a cashier that is always so grumpy she looks like she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. I try to be friendly to her, I always smile at her and I say a quiet prayer for her. One day she asked me "What the heck are you always so happy about" I shared my reason with her. She listened and I believe a seed was planted. Our life should be a witness to the unbelieving world even if it just a smile or a kind word.

God bless
Roberta

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
If it is a total stranger and you don't know anything about them, talk about ordinary things like their kids or their job or whatever comes up. Then ask them where they go to church. That's the door opener.

If you know them, talk a bit about something you are doing at your church, then ask them where they go to church.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by kennedyfam
:confused: How do you start a conversation with someone or steer it if you are trying to share your faith?

Do you talk to people at the grocery store? I'd like to hear personal stories/suggestions.

Thank you.

It says you are a visitor here. If you come back reply to this post and I will share the most effective means I have discovered in personal, one-on-one evangelism.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Great! This forum was to be all about evangelism in the first place, but it sort of got side tracked by some less interested in evangelism.

So I will start with one quick way I do it. First I have the heart of an evangelist and I go out into the community and lead people to Jesus one-on-one routinely.

I am always very casual and pleasant without being phony, and I use an approach I learned from one of the greatest soul winners I have ever run across.

This is where one of the greatest and most efective "tools" available comes in. The TRACT!
But for now I will give you a sample INTRO:

"Pardon me sir/Lady, may I give you something really goooood to read?" This said while extending the tract with a sincere, friendly smile. MOST people will accept the tract and say something like, "sure" or "OK" and return your sincere smile.

At this point, you quickly change the subject to put them at ease and keep them from getting defensive. You may say something like: "Beautiful weather we are having today isn't it? or My, what a beautiful color shirt you are wearing...what do you call that shade of blue anyway?

(The question or comment at this point really doesn't matter at all, it is strictly used as a filling, because the NEXT question is the clincher, or the Go-No go question.) Here is where you quickly and with that same genuine smile ask: By the way, tell me, do you know for sure ALL of your sins have been forgiven?

This is where they will walk or listen. You will be very surprised how many people will listen. If they say YES, then they will naturally begin to give you thier testimony, and that is good.

But so many will look at you kind of blankly and say: "Well...er...uh...no, I don't guess I do." That is when you return thier puzzled look with one of surprise from you. You say, "REALLY? You mean you really DON'T know for sure? Well wouldn't you like to?"

This is where you will be absolutely amazed at the many answers you will get. Some would will say,"Well, yes I really would. Is it possible to know?" Others will say something along those lines. Others will come up with other answers that will knock your socks off.

At any rate here is where you launch into your well rehearsed little "talk" (not sermon) about what salvation is, Who provides it and how, and who needs it and the assurance that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.

Remember too, that when you are talking you never use the word YOU. You say: "WE have ALL sinned, haven't we? I mean WE are all in the same boat aren't we?" Always say WE, and phrase it as a question, and get him used to saying yes. The more times he says yes the more likely he is to say yes when you ask him the all important question at the end.

I assume that somewhere in your presentation you are going to use Revelation 3:20. I do. Here is one good reason. Assuming you have successfully led him to pray and accept Jesus as his Saviour, then you ask Him, (ASK HIM) "Tell me sir, according to what Jesus has said, WHERE is Jesus RIGHT NOW? You let him tell you that Jesus is in his heart. NEVER tell that person that he is saved now. Make sure he understands what has happened by ASKING him.

Never tell him that he is saved, because you don't know for sure if he was sincere or not. Only he and God know for sure so let him tell you.

Of course sometimes you WILL know. I will share what is still my favorite conversion story in another post.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by lambslove
Listen to them, and sooner or later they will bring up something that needs prayer. Then ask, "Would it be okay for me to pray about that for you?" Some will say no, others will say yes, and that opens the door.

Yes, whatever works for the individual. There must be hundreds of ways of doing it. That is two you have given us in this thread. Perhaps you will share some more with us.

Whatever leads a person to repentance and acceptance of Christ as thier Saviour is GREAT!

I say a person needs to experiment and determine what they are comfortable with and then refine it and go with it.

Prayer, for me, is always the way to begin and end.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on evangelism.  I'm a HUGE advocate of servant evangelism.  What is servant evangelism you ask?  I really don't know exactly, but this page has a list of amazing articles about how people reached out and touched MANY lives =)

Also here's some more stories =)

And the best part about it, is that many say it's tons of fun to reach out in this manner =)

By the way, the gasoline article is so far my favorite!!!  Basically, a bunch of guys decided to 'buy' their gas down.  So rather than paying, for example, 1.20 for a gallon of gas, they decided to buy down to 1.00 for a gallon of gas!  And immediately cars would flock to the gas stations.  Why?  Cuz it's cheap gas!! 

So naturally the drivers would ask, "Why are you doing this?" And they don't realize they're setting themselves up for "danger" *LOL!!* 

Because the believer would then say:

"Because Jesus loves you"

or

"To show God's love"

Next thing they know:  They realize that God just touched them, though a simple act of love.  And, whether they realize it or not, they've just witnessed an example of God's free gift of grace =)

Neat isn't it? =)

A friend of mine had a cool story at a B&N.  She went to the Starbucks (inside B&N) and bought a frappucino.  For some reason she wanted it in two cups.  And she happened to notice someone sitting along, so she felt compelled to give him one.  Immediately she pulls out a napkin, writes something on the napkin, gives him the napkin and the cup and says, "God loves you!" with a smile and walks away. 

Oh by the way, here's what it said on the napkin:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  (Rom 5:8)

Now THAT'S cool stuff!! =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
My story? lol! I am afraid my story is not all that fascinating. Better stories are some coverts. Many different ways. I will come back later and post what is still my favorite. It happened last summer and I guess it is one I will never forget. It was very easy, but it was sooooo sweet.

If you are speaking of my Testimony I have posted many versions of it all over. I will also post that if you like!

Upvote 0