People are scared; could our stories be the reason?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,764,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider these examples of movies, music, and the changes in news over the last few decades. And then consider the Pope's suggested solution.

People are scared to death of the future and I think I know why.

Last week a much-linked article announced that “The end of the world is becoming normal conversation.” It cited growing fears of a “climate apocalypse” a “virus apocalypse,” a “nuclear apocalypse,” an “AI apocalypse” — or even an invasion from another planet.

Pope Francis saw this coming. “Stories influence our lives, whether in the form of fairy tales, novels, films, songs, news, even if we do not always realize it,” he said, warning about, “destructive and provocative stories that wear down and break the fragile threads binding us together as a society.”

Notice how stories have destroyed or built up home.

First, look at the movies of the 1970s and 1980s.​

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟141,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Consider these examples of movies, music, and the changes in news over the last few decades. And then consider the Pope's suggested solution.

People are scared to death of the future and I think I know why.

Last week a much-linked article announced that “The end of the world is becoming normal conversation.” It cited growing fears of a “climate apocalypse” a “virus apocalypse,” a “nuclear apocalypse,” an “AI apocalypse” — or even an invasion from another planet.

Pope Francis saw this coming. “Stories influence our lives, whether in the form of fairy tales, novels, films, songs, news, even if we do not always realize it,” he said, warning about, “destructive and provocative stories that wear down and break the fragile threads binding us together as a society.”

Notice how stories have destroyed or built up home.

First, look at the movies of the 1970s and 1980s.​

Continued below.
Fearmongering is the issue, exacerbated with social media and violent films of the 21st century.

Upvote 0