Can you date a woman/man that isn't a Christian?

Can you date a woman/man that isn't a Christian?

• Yes, that's fine!

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, bad idea!

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Maybe, probably better not.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Maybe, could work.

• Other

• Total voters

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, one CAN. One can shoot their head off, one can jump off the Empire State Bldg., one can drive through a red light at a very busy intersection. What one can do and what one SHOULD do are usually two VERY different things. Best advice is from God's Word already given: "be yea NOT unequally yoked with unbelievers." One MAY win the other over to Christ over time but why risk it??? Marriage is TILL DEATH DO YOU PART and an unbeliever can totally ruin your and your children's lives and the battering and abuse may not come for 15 yrs or more. I know. I have experienced it. My mother was a minister's devout daughter and my father was an atheist who both thought "love" would get them through it..

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What do you think about dating a non-Christian? Bad idea? Could it work?
If it works and you both are happy, then its your business.

Its not good to allow religion to make any form of walls between other people. As long as she is also not going to make her religion (if she has one) a significance.

Maybe God is using you to bring her to him..

Also, not all christians are good. You’ll see many here (some are in this thread) as examples. While Marrying a christian is ideal, if the relationship is good then why care what anyone else says? Unless God comes down and tells them directly, then they dont know anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it certainly is possible and you're going to hear success stories from it but it's not wise. for every success, there will be failure where the Christian stops identifying as a Christian. If the person is interested set the expectations immediately saying you don't date non-Christians. You can continue a relationship but a guarded one (no extra benefits) be strict, you are just friends and ensure that boundary is not cross.

The power of the HS dwells within you and like Moses was drawn to the burning bush you are the fire of the spirit that people are drawn too that goes beyond human attraction. If someone is persistent do not downplay the role of the HS in it and do not allow yourself to dismiss the opportunity to show Christ to an unbeliever. Don't be a backseat driver, take charge and spread the gospel intentionally.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟891,634.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The date might work out well, but dates have a way of leading into relationships that have a way of leading into marriage, and a marriage between a true Christian and a non-Christian would have problems from day one.

I don't date if it’s not meant for relationship, and I don't have a relationship if it's not meant for marriage...

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟891,634.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it certainly is possible and you're going to hear success stories from it but it's not wise. for every success, there will be failure where the Christian stops identifying as a Christian. If the person is interested set the expectations immediately saying you don't date non-Christians. You can continue a relationship but a guarded one (no extra benefits) be strict, you are just friends and ensure that boundary is not cross.

The power of the HS dwells within you and like Moses was drawn to the burning bush you are the fire of the spirit that people are drawn too that goes beyond human attraction. If someone is persistent do not downplay the role of the HS in it and do not allow yourself to dismiss the opportunity to show Christ to an unbeliever. Don't be a backseat driver, take charge and spread the gospel intentionally.

A guy from my church was an atheist (a quite aggressive one, I might say) hanging out with a Christian girl, also from my church. As far as I know she never let it go to relationship. Somewhere down the line he had a strong conversion. Today they are married and have kids. It's a real feel good story.

I wouldn't advice anyone else (or myself) to get into a relationship with an non-Christian. If it is to work, this person must fully accept your (my) Christian life stile, you, me living fully for Christ. Even then, there is the danger where you or I hope to get this person to Christ, it will be the other way around and you become lukewarm, moved away from Christ.

I have been in a relationship with an "unbelieving believer". We were together for maybe two years. It was not good for my faith.

It was good hearing your thoughts on this, making it more clear where I stand. God's love and grace to all of you!

Christ love,
Peter

5e73e74e176ee783580fd76c4e198e56.png

matthew-6-33-christian-iphone-wallpaper-lockscreen-background-2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I will have our 47th anniversary in June. Life is hard enough when both husbands and wives share fundamental beliefs in Christ. I recently read that the average length of a marriage ending in divorce was around 7 years. The Bible is clear on the subject.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A guy from my church was an atheist (a quite aggressive one, I might say) hanging out with a Christian girl, also from my church. As far as I know she never let it go to relationship. Somewhere down the line he had a strong conversion. Today they are married and have kids. It's a real feel good story.

I wouldn't advice anyone else (or myself) to get into a relationship with an non-Christian. If it is to work, this person must fully accept your (my) Christian life stile, you, me living fully for Christ. Even then, there is the danger where you or I hope to get this person to Christ, it will be the other way around and you become lukewarm, moved away from Christ.

I have been in a relationship with an "unbelieving believer". We were together for maybe two years. It was not good for my faith.

It was good hearing your thoughts on this, making it more clear where I stand. God's love and grace to all of you!

Christ love,
Peter

5e73e74e176ee783580fd76c4e198e56.png

matthew-6-33-christian-iphone-wallpaper-lockscreen-background-2.jpg

I wouldn't advise it either.. I believe as a general rule it's not a good idea..

There were so many special circumstances with my husband and I that it's not a rule I think is some kind of universal 'it will work' answer. It's more likely to fail than it is to work, hence the Biblical admonition in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When looking for a wife, your main concern should be whether or not you feel you can love this person for the rest of your life and if this person would be a good wife/mother.......Not which religion they subscribe to.

If you are really concerned about living for and doing everything for God......prove it by becoming celibate.

Trying to secure a lock on a companion, usually has selfish connotations.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
When looking for a wife, your main concern should be whether or not you feel you can love this person for the rest of your life and if this person would be a good wife/mother.......Not which religion they subscribe to.

If you are really concerned about living for and doing everything for God......prove it by becoming celibate.

Trying to secure a lock on a companion, usually has selfish connotations.

Just remember that if you burn with passion it is better to marry, according to scripture.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just remember that if you burn with passion it is better to marry, according to scripture.
You proved my point......it is for selfish reasons, in this case, to marry then......to satisfy your desires, or to avoid burning in hell....

And I find no fault in it. I would just not fool myself by pretending I have the greater worship of God, as forefront, in my desire to secure a partner that no one else can have after I've secured them.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
You proved my point......it is for selfish reasons, in this case, to marry then......to satisfy your desires, or to avoid burning in hell....

And I find no fault in it. I would just not fool myself by pretending I have the greater worship of God, as forefront, in my desire to secure a partner that no one else can have after I've secured them.

Not sure that the Bible considers burning with passion to be selfish as selfishness is a sin, and then telling Christians to commit sin by marrying for a selfish reason.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Also, if sex is for marriage and you feel that getting married is selfish, then how do you expect Christians to continue Christianity if they aren't having offspring because to marry is selfish?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure that the Bible considers burning with passion to be selfish as selfishness is a sin, and then telling Christians to commit sin by marrying for a selfish reason.
Please quote the scripture that states that selfishness is sin.

Also, a question. Would you consider living right so that you can live in heaven and not burn in hell, e.g. trying to save your soul......to be a selfish task?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, if sex is for marriage and you feel that getting married is selfish, then how do you expect Christians to continue Christianity if they aren't having offspring because to marry is selfish?
You have condemned selfishness, not me......I stated that I find no fault in it.

Marry all you want.....or not..... If you wish to believe that, after marrying because you burn with desire, that you actually are still marrying for God, I find no fault in that either.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Please quote the scripture that states that selfishness is sin.

Also, a question. Would you consider living right so that you can living in heaven and not burn in hell, e.g. trying to save your soul......to be a selfish task?

Come on Raymond, God calls Christians to be selfless. You can see that all throughout the Bible and it doesn't need to say those exact words.

Do you think that somehow the command to love your neighbor is so you can be selfish towards them?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Come on Raymond, God calls Christians to be selfless. You can see that all throughout the Bible and it doesn't need to say those exact words.

You stated that a quality that we all possess is sin. You should be able to back that with a verse. I would like to see it so that I can consider it.....Im not trying to prove you wrong. If it is there, i would like to see it.

Do you think that somehow the command to love your neighbor is so you can be selfish towards them?

Yes. You love so that you will be loved. You do unto others as you will have done unto you. It is not until you are raise in spirit that these laws wont apply.

Upvote 0