Who has it harder in the Christian dating world you g Christian men Or young Christian women ?

Who has it harder in modern dating ?

• Men

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Women

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟171,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to have to go with Option #4: Because there are differences both men and women have difficulty.

For example, based on both my personal experience and decades of counseling others, most women want men to lead. This desire for leadership is often worded in the context of "spiritual leader," but every single Christian woman I've ever met also elaborates that in very practical and behavioral terms that often have nothing to do with reading the Bible, praying, or going to church (the proverbial "big three"). It's hard to follow when no one leads. Individuals who are not dating live lives that are, in many ways, legitimately independent, and many are perfectly capable of achieving their own spiritual, vocational, financial, etc. goals without a dating partner. Women do NOT need a man to lead in those regards. This is simply one example; there are others.

Another place where difference pose difficulty is that of moving from independence to interdependence. It's my observation that many d not even know that is the goal. If marriage is the objective to dating, then, relationally speaking, there are four ways not to go wrong and only one way to go well. Independence, codependence, counter-dependence, and dependence are all common and unhealthy alternatives to the scriptural standard of interdependence. Because most males are not relationally aware and emotionally integrated, interdependence poses certain challenges that may by unknown to females. Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, females (generally speaking) are much more relationally oriented, and emotionally integrated and may, 1) fascinate, irritate, and overwhelm the average guy, and 2) feel left out of, or undervalued in, the relationship even when they are physically together, and thereby have difficulty working out the appropriate measures of protector and helpmete nurturer commonly held as an objective in traditional Christian marriage.

I am not exaggerating when I say about a third of the couples I counseled opened our first meeting with the husband saying (and I quote), "I'm mean and she's crazy." I'll have him briefly elaborate and then turn to his partner and she will confirm his diagnosis, "Yep. He's mean and I am crazy." They have, somehow, taken on identities for themselves of "mean" and "crazy." Let me again point out this is true of about a third of married couples. It's not the majority, but it is common. Why do they self-label that way? Well, as counseling proceeds it is discovered the guy is too much in his head, very task-oriented, not as relationally aware, and not as emotionally expressive. A lack of emotional responsiveness seems very isolating and abandoning to those longing for connection, longing to fulfill the potential of a man and woman knowing and being known. To her it seems very mean, and when that is said often enough it become identity (no matter how affectionate they may be otherwise). The other side of that is the woman seeking value and affection through more than just a free meal and some kisses (or more). The emotional expression typical to increasingly connected couples can be disorienting to men, irrational because the purpose and task to be achieved is not understood. Men "box up" their emotions because their brain handles that information in ways different than women so, again, it seems or "feels" irrational. He's mean and she's irrational. It takes the average dating couple awhile to reach that stage and even longer to realize that's what is happening and many don't get there until after their married, which brings me to the next challenge (for now).....

Dating is very idealized. We're both on our best behavior, both hoping for the best from ourselves and each other, both not objectively weighing the person and relationship, and both pursuing the best possible outcome (which is typically marriage and family). Real relationship does not happen outside of commitment and if marriage is the preeminent commitment (after Christ), then few dating couples are doing a good job prior to marriage and for most the "honeymoon" period can take months to a year or two to wear off. Only then is real relationship happening sans the idealism common in dating.

Other differences have to do with sex and affection. The old adage, "Men give love to get sex, and women give sex to get love," is (still) very common. About 40% of the pre-marriage counseling I've done with Christian couples is done with already sexually active couples. Most will abstain until the wedding when I ask, but some won't. A very small percentage are cohabiting. Men do not understand many women do not feel sure they are valued if the couple is sexually active. "Am I loved for who I am, or because I have a vagina?" Most people, especially men, do not value what they have not earned so if sex comes easy while dating then that man may not have earned his partner and may not actually have much regard for her. Both ignoring that reality. Men, on the other hand, despite their pursuit of sex, do not want ot see themselves as buyers of sex. To be wanted for a paycheck is untenable, and even in partnerships where the woman/wife is employed and financially able to support herself the idea he's wanted (solely) for a roof and full fridge is unsettling. Johns and prostitutes is not what they set out to achieve. Another set of differences have to do with the reasons why people date. Marriage is not the only (scriptural) reason, but it is the one most commonly employed and, therefore, the one most commonly getting in the way f a better relationship. Two people can date just to have fun. That is a perfectly legitimate reason for going on one date or ten. Other reasons include, but are not limited to, getting to know oneself, getting to know another/others, learning about relational growth, and worshipping God (that is the one that raises the most eyebrows). Another difference is that neither men nor women are monolithic. Sadly, the reality of gender (masculinity and femininity) is being abused in western politics with the (statistical and normative) extremes being asserted as normal and healthy. Some men are "warriors," some are "priests." An Abraham is not Moses, nor a Peter a Paul and often times false images are incorrectly held out as the standard. Not all women are Deborahs any more than all Marthas are Marys. The blood-thirsty berserker is just as much a perversion of the warrior archetype as the coward. "Macho man" is an oxymoron, and if you disagree then I will knock you on your butt to prove it o_O. ;) Lastly, there are enormous differences in our upbringings, and sadly, more and more men and women are being raised in single parent families, so they lack the decades of emulation those raised in nuclear or extended families may have observed and practiced. Statistically speaking, the most successful marriages are second-borns married to second-borns :oops:. I'm a first-born married to a first-born :eek:.

Simply put, the difference between men and women are enormous, and they pose challenges for everyone, but different challenges. The he and the she must work to become a we, and a we they can both enjoyably live with for a lifetime. We wed in a minute, but it takes a lifetime to have a marriage. You're not successful until one of you dies :sunglasses:.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think women have an easier time overall than men in the dating market. Christians have additional hurdles the public doesn't grapple with. In addition to attraction and compatibility you have faith and related expectations which might disqualify a good candidate. The greater the scrutiny the narrower the pool.

The reverse holds true as well. If the pool is smaller you may want to be more accommodating to widen your reach. That's the practical part but you're asking about ease and that's nuanced. You can't ignore the impact of personality, attractiveness, location and prospects. Some qualities are more appealing than others and cultural influences have a part in that.

I don't know the proportion of women seeking men at church but the majority are online and it's setup for them. They don't have to do anything besides taking a picture and putting up a profile and the men come to them and they choose from that group.

Whereas the guy at church is a mystery. You don't know anything about him. You don't have a profile to glean from. You have to communicate to find that out. There's single men at church. The numbers may not be huge but they're there. I think they're having difficulty finding someone they're attracted to in that setting. Women have acknowledged that on the singles board.

Bear in mind the impact of social media on society and its users. What we consider feminine and masculine today greatly differs from what it was in the past and we're embracing those ideals. We don't value normal anymore. The social media image is becoming the standard. When they think of an attractive guy or girl that's what's in their head. They're not imagining average because average is above average now. It's beyond that point.

I think it's easier when you're an extreme. When you fall within that group that mirrors the images on their phone. They have a reference point and positive associations and they'll make good assumptions about the person. You need more than that to build a bond but it's a bridge nonetheless.

~bella

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who has is harder in the Christian dating world
Each person is unique. It can be easy. With Jesus guiding us, we can simply trust Him and discover what He does with us. And our only real problem can be our own selves. Yes, I can be my main problem. As God corrects me, now I can relate better with other people, and discover who this makes me able to connect to. My own character has a lot to do with who I can connect with.

And in case I find someone, it is wise to pray and make sure with God, not to go only with how I am feeling, certainly do not be fooled by lust which can masquerade as love >

"not in passion of lust," our Apostle Paul does say to the Thessalonians > 1 Thessalonians 4:5.

So, "attraction" can be a very misleading trick. It is about what a person looks like, talks smart and charming, not discovering how the person really is in one's character. I would say, see if and how the person can minister to you, so you are growing in Jesus and learning how to love any and all people. A child of God growing in Jesus will minister this grace so we mature with each other.

And as we grow together in Jesus and His unconditional love, this is Heaven's love with quality better than any honeymoon stuff human. I was quite delighted with my lady friend, at first, and it was nicely romantic. But now in God's gentle and quiet and humble love I have much better satisfaction which is unconditional . . . content . . . not depending on her meeting my requirements. God's love is Heaven's love so more pleasing and satisfying than any human pleasure and relating I have ever had.

And in God's love we have His immunity against abusive and foolish stuff, such as arguing and complaining and anger and frustration about not getting our own way >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

So, I must never boss myself over her because I suppose I am right. But be her good example to encourage her so she changes because of grace and not only because of my influence.

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

Be ready to be submissive with each other, how God has us sharing. In prayer I can be submissive to God so I am ready for her to be submissive; and make sure I stay this way, even if she is not; and keep praying this to her.
I hear many young Christian women say they’re is a low amount of young Christian men in the church these days.
I have known women who say they want a man, but it is clear they are not Christian the way the Bible says to be and to relate. And any genuine man can see through them and stay clear of them, or be their example without getting involved with them. But a man who is gent and humble and content can seem boring to them.

There are women who are type-A > aggressive, abusive of themselves, accomplishers, angry, arguing themselves right . . .

A woman needs to be type-J > how Jesus is humble, gentle, quiet, all-loving, pleasing to our Father >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Be beautiful in the sight of God. I see how "gentle and quiet" here means how Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart" (in Matthew 11:29). But women and men are fooled in what I call "beauty discrimination". God is no respecter of persons; He sees the heart. But humans are maybe even being wrecked in how they discriminate in favor of more beautiful looking women. And so they do not know how to evaluate someone for marriage.
I also hear men saying Christian women are more pickier than worldly woman
Well, the Bible gives us higher values than what a worldly woman can want. But a woman can suppose she is a Christian and then expect more of the things what she dictates that she has to have. So, it depends on what she is looking for . . . according to Biblical values, or her own preferences.

A thing is that if we get married and then grow in Jesus, our personal interests and preferences will develop as we grow as God's children.

No way would you hold on to your three-year-old choices and commitments you made while three years old! . . . right?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I missed the second part. Sorry! :)

Are Christian women pickier than worldly ones?

The word on the tip of my tongue is unrealistic. But not for the reasons you might expect. When I hear the things they're looking for and read the same in books. It sounds more like a pastor than a layman to my ears. And most of that is spiritual.

You want him teach at home, have bible study, pray together, have devotional time together, and work, spend time with the kids, help around the house, give you quality time, serve at church and so on.

I'm exhausted writing that! We have a 168 hours per week to draw from and less than that when you subtract work, sleep and daily living. Laundry lists like these are a reflection of ignorance related to one's season and the responsibilities that follow.

A couple without children has a different lifestyle from those with families. Which differs from those with older children, empty nesters and retirees. We're not meant to do everything at once. It's unrealistic. So pick one instead.

Maybe the early days are perfect for prayer but family makes devotionals more attractive. You may pick up bible study later on when the kids are older and need less supervision. Don't fill up his plate like a holiday meal and get mad when he can't do it all. You're setting him up for failure.

You have to weigh your wants and expectations practically. Before I'd share a list I'd see what he prefers and compare the two and focus on the common denominators. That's easiest when you have tunnel vision in your relationship. You're not looking at others, mimicking friends or trying to be like the lady at church. You're running your own race and that makes for happier connections.

One of the ways I addressed it was paint me a picture. Describe the life you have in mind for you and I. And I listened to what he said. But for the fairer sex I'd take a different approach. I'd ask her to describe herself in five hashtags and tell me why she chose them. After she told me I'd look them up to get a better picture.

Christian women aren't in a bubble. They're on the Internet, YouTube, Instagram and TikTok. They're seeing the same things worldly women are. You have outliers like the ones in the trad camp who consume a greater proportion of content related to marriage, family, and homemaking. But I wouldn't assume that holds true for most.

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0