Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,836.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, I have been pondering this, but I am not sure if this is scriptural and legit or not. Let me know what you think! My question is this- when did God create the universe? I think the answer is- never! God created time! The bible does say that God created the heavens and the earth in 7 days and I believe that, but when were the 7 days? Space and time are connected, there is space-time and the space-time continuum. I believe the "heavens" described in the bible are the universe. What do you think of this?

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟759,229.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Heaven existed before the universe. Angels and demons (which are fallen angels) existed before the universe.

As for when, we don't know. Whether we believe in special creation or evolution, or a combination of the two, we cannot pinpoint the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I have been pondering this, but I am not sure if this is scriptural and legit or not. Let me know what you think! My question is this- when did God create the universe? I think the answer is- never! God created time! The bible does say that God created the heavens and the earth in 7 days and I believe that, but when were the 7 days? Space and time are connected, there is space-time and the space-time continuum. I believe the "heavens" described in the bible are the universe. What do you think of this?
Ex 20 says the seven days of Gen 1-2:4 are the same time as the 7 days at Sinai

Gen 2:2-4
2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven.

Ex 20:8-11
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Same author, same topic, same audience, and each day is one "evening and morning" as stated in Genesis 1.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Day 4?

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

Hi, Dave! :wave:

I have been pondering this, but I am not sure if this is scriptural and legit or not. Let me know what you think!

I love talking about creationism.

I could talk about it all day!

My question is this- when did God create the universe?

For the sake of argument, I use Bishop Ussher's dating method.

Therefore: 23 October 4004 BC

I think the answer is- never!

I have to disagree with that.

God created time!

Yes, indeed.

The bible does say that God created the heavens and the earth in 7 days and I believe that,

Well ... close.

It was six days.

Then He rested (ceased) from his work on the seventh.

... but when were the 7 days?

23 October 4004 BC - 17 October 4004 BC

Space and time are connected, there is space-time and the space-time continuum.

Okay.

I believe the "heavens" described in the bible are the universe.

Yes, indeed.

First Heaven = 0-62 miles up = atmosphere

Second Heaven = 63 miles up - edge of the physical universe

Third Heaven = Heaven proper

What do you think of this?

I think it's a demonstration of the mighty power of God, to be able to create this universe by just speaking it into existence.

Imagine Him raising the level of mass/energy from zero to its current level over a period of six days!

Creating the earth first, then creating the universe up around it.

Neat, huh?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hold that God is immutable, and therefore, there never was there a time that He ever became "Creator". He is always creating within the Universe. When we read in the opening verses of Genesis 1, "In the beginning...", it speaks of the origin of the Heaven and the Earth on this planet. Some have interpreted "Heaven" to refer to Space-Time, but if we understand the context correctly, the "Heaven" referred to herein is referring to Genesis 1:6-8. Moses never speaks of other celestial bodies, including the planets in our own solar system, but only to what was known to man in his day from a phenomenological perspective. The stars we see with the naked eye at night is only a small snippet within an arm of our galaxy.

Modern Science also has proven that the Universe is no younger than 13.8 billion years old. Light travels at a speed of about 187,000 miles a second, and the only way we are able to observe the light of distant galaxies 90 billion light years away assumes that it travelled a very great length of time before it became apparent to our eyes through a telescope. To reconcile a young Universe with the evidence of technology is impossible.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I accept the just under 14 billion years of the universe, as indicated by the scientists. Time is part and parcel with the material universe. In creating it, time begins for that creation.

The 6 days of creation were obviously meant to represent a categorization of sequences, since man did not exist prior to his creation, and literal "days" would be irrelevant with respect to God, who is eternal. So the 6 days of creation were literary symbols measuring specific sequences that indicate an intelligent design. The 7th day certainly did not last only 24 hours--God is still resting from having created in the 1st 6 days! :)

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Time is a measurement between events. If anything is happening then time must exist.

Upvote 0

hal4x

Apr 11, 2024
Charlotte nc
✟9,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heaven existed before the universe. Angels and demons (which are fallen angels) existed before the universe.

As for when, we don't know. Whether we believe in special creation or evolution, or a combination of the two, we cannot pinpoint the time

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hold that God is immutable, and therefore, there never was there a time that He ever became "Creator". He is always creating within the Universe. When we read in the opening verses of Genesis 1, "In the beginning...", it speaks of the origin of the Heaven and the Earth on this planet. Some have interpreted "Heaven" to refer to Space-Time, but if we understand the context correctly, the "Heaven" referred to herein is referring to Genesis 1:6-8. Moses never speaks of other celestial bodies, including the planets in our own solar system, but only to what was known to man in his day from a phenomenological perspective. The stars we see with the naked eye at night is only a small snippet within an arm of our galaxy.

Modern Science also has proven that the Universe is no younger than 13.8 billion years old. Light travels at a speed of about 187,000 miles a second, and the only way we are able to observe the light of distant galaxies 90 billion light years away assumes that it travelled a very great length of time before it became apparent to our eyes through a telescope. To reconcile a young Universe with the evidence of technology is impossible.
Actually the farthest stars we can see are 46 billion years away but on the fourth day of creation God said that He created the sun the moon and the stars to be signs of the seasons. So it wouldn’t make much sense for Him to create the stars for that purpose then place them so far away that we wouldn’t be able to see them. So He must’ve done something to make them visible to us. Now the universe is expanding we know that and the Bible says several times that God stretched out the heavens so maybe he expanded the universe after creating them, I can’t really say for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I accept the just under 14 billion years of the universe, as indicated by the scientists. Time is part and parcel with the material universe. In creating it, time begins for that creation.

The 6 days of creation were obviously meant to represent a categorization of sequences, since man did not exist prior to his creation, and literal "days" would be irrelevant with respect to God, who is eternal. So the 6 days of creation were literary symbols measuring specific sequences that indicate an intelligent design. The 7th day certainly did not last only 24 hours--God is still resting from having created in the 1st 6 days! :)
Well you still have the problem with the genealogies dating the earth to just over 6,000 years between the first man and Jesus. I don’t see the 6 day creation as being obviously representative of a sequence of events since it is within God’s power to accomplish the task of creation in 6 days. I see that interpretation as a personal choice not something that is mandated.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually the farthest stars we can see are 46 billion years away but on the fourth day of creation God said that He created the sun the moon and the stars to be signs of the seasons. So it wouldn’t make much sense for Him to create the stars for that purpose then place them so far away that we wouldn’t be able to see them. So He must’ve done something to make them visible to us. Now the universe is expanding we know that and the Bible says several times that God stretched out the heavens so maybe he expanded the universe after creating them, I can’t really say for sure.
I see your point, but we really can't use Genesis from a scientific standpoint, if we were to be honest. Genesis 1:2 suggests that liquid water existed on the planet before the existence of the Sun, not to mention the presence of plants in verse 11-12.

The reason it may seem absurd for God to create stars so that we wouldn't be able to see them stem from an anthropocentric view of creation. We must remember that not everything created was meant for us, otherwise, it is futile for God to have created billions, if not trillions, of galaxies, with innumerable stars and other celestial objects within them, out of our reach and knowledge.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Time is a measurement between events. If anything is happening then time must exist.
I will agree, but we must also remember that matter influences space-time, so time on Earth will not be the same on another planet with a greater or smaller mass. We found out that Einstein was right when it came to his theory of general relativity. So, time itself is subjective, though events may connect it.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well you still have the problem with the genealogies dating the earth to just over 6,000 years between the first man and Jesus. I don’t see the 6 day creation as being obviously representative of a sequence of events since it is within God’s power to accomplish the task of creation in 6 days. I see that interpretation as a personal choice not something that is mandated.
The problem with taking the position that creation happened within six-literal days is very geocentric. A day is defined by one full rotation of a planet on its axis, therefore, if we suggest that Universe was created in six full rotations of Earth, then we have made our planet the standard time of reference in all places at all times in the Cosmos. A day on a planet is only relative to its mass, position, and distance in space from its nearest star, and therefore, very subjective depending where you are.

• Winner
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see your point, but we really can't use Genesis from a scientific standpoint, if we were to be honest. Genesis 1:2 suggests that liquid water existed on the planet before the existence of the Sun, not to mention the presence of plants in verse 11-12.

The reason it may seem absurd for God to create stars so that we wouldn't be able to see them stem from an anthropocentric view of creation. We must remember that not everything created was meant for us, otherwise, it is futile for God to have created billions, if not trillions, of galaxies, with innumerable stars and other celestial objects within them, out of our reach and knowledge.
He created light on the first day and we still don’t know very much about the third heaven. So those other galaxies could’ve been part of that plan.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will agree, but we must also remember that matter influences space-time, so time on Earth will not be the same on another planet with a greater or smaller mass. We found out that Einstein was right when it came to his theory of general relativity. So, time itself is subjective, though events may connect it.
I’m not sure what you mean here, I’m guessing that your referring to a difference in the measurement of time but 60 seconds is 60 seconds no matter what planet your on.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with taking the position that creation happened within six-literal days is very geocentric. A day is defined by one full rotation of a planet on its axis, therefore, if we suggest that Universe was created in six full rotations of Earth, then we have made our planet the standard time of reference in all places at all times in the Cosmos. A day on a planet is only relative to its mass, position, and distance in space from its nearest star, and therefore, very subjective depending where you are.
But the day and night mentioned in Genesis 1 is specific to the earth.

”In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭5‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

The darkness is in reference to the absence of light on the surface of the waters on the earth. Anytime your talking about night and day it’s in reference to a planet, what other planet would Genesis 1 possibly be referring to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I’m not sure what you mean here, I’m guessing that your referring to a difference in the measurement of time but 60 seconds is 60 seconds no matter what planet your on.
Well, I will have to agree and disagree with you, brother. As I said earlier, mass influences space-time, therefore, the stronger the gravitational field on a planet, the more slowly time will pass. For example, let's say we placed one timer on Earth, and another timer on a planet the size of the Sun. While the experience of 60 seconds will be the same to us on both planes, when compared together, the timer on Earth will have passed much faster than the timer on the planet the size of the Sun.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He created light on the first day and we still don’t know very much about the third heaven. So those other galaxies could’ve been part of that plan.
Or, those other galaxies are part of a grander plan that we are only a small participant of. Who knows what God is doing in the vast reaches of space? We are certainly not the only ones He has in view.

Upvote 0