• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

You really can't do it alone

sajamor

Jan 12, 2018
Newark
✟8,748.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi and thanks for letting me join the group!

I've been attending a church in my town for about 11 months but it's only in about the last month I've really come to appreciate the beauty and power of Christianity.

A month ago today I lost my job and it really felt like the end of my world, sending my stabilised depression and anxiety out of control.

A fortnight later I got very drunk and fearing I might harm myself, I called the police.

The officer called one of my friends from church, who came round. Her support prompted me to open up to other church friends about the isolation and stress of my situation.

Since then I've been inundated with shows of support, prayers and invitations to social/church activities. I may also soon be doing voluntary work with some of my friends in a Christian charity shop they help at.

They and Bible reading have helped me to live in the moment more and worry less. It is a bit easier said than done when I don't know what my final work payment will be and if it will last till my first full Universal Credit payment. I'm also still quite at the mercy of my mood swings.

But I'm persevering with job applications, have a counselling assessment lined up and am also looking at the possibility of working from home.

I'd like to make a career in something that does other people good, so it would be great if I could get work for a charity or Christian organisation. For now, though, things don't look nearly as bleak as four weeks back!

UnseenSaviour

Mar 9, 2018
DUBLIN
✟9,856.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear about losing your job. I'm glad the people in the church are helping you and trying to get you involved in social/church activities.

I'd like to make a career in something that does other people good
Your life experience definately will help others if they go through something similar.
Maybe you could pursue a Social Work Degree because it's funded & focus on being a Counsellor?
Wish you the best of luck! God Bless

Upvote 0