Visit site
✟548,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
You are using Roman time instead of Biblical time, the Sabbath ends t sunset and the first day of the week starts at the same sunset; in the morning Jesus was already gone. In the Bible the Sabbath is never referred to as the Lord's day.
Brother, the days of the week during the 40 years in the desert were from morning to morning, as revealed in the following passage where they are given two portions of Manna on the previous day because there will be no Manna tomorrow. Importantly, the bad news that there will be no quail tomorrow if the next day begins in the "evening" is not mentioned, because they will eat quail in the "evening" before Manna is the first thing they will not have the next day. The quail not mentioned clearly shows the day begins in the morning.

On the sixth day, they gathered twice as much as usual—four quarts for each person instead of two. Then all the leaders of the community came and asked Moses for an explanation. He told them, “This is what the LORD commanded: Tomorrow will be a day of complete rest, a holy Sabbath day set apart for the LORD. So bake or boil as much as you want today, and set aside what is left for tomorrow.” So they put some aside until morning, just as Moses had commanded. And in the morning the leftover food was wholesome and good, without maggots or odor. Moses said, “Eat this food today, for today is a Sabbath day dedicated to the LORD. There will be no food on the ground today. (Exodus 16:22-25 NLT)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟495,035.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Brother, the days of the week during the 40 years in the desert were from morning to morning, as revealed in the following passage where they are given two portions of Manna on the previous day because there will be no Manna tomorrow. Importantly, the bad news that there will be no quail tomorrow if the next day begins in the "evening" is not mentioned, because they will eat quail in the "evening" before Manna is the first thing they will not have the next day. The quail not mentioned clearly shows the day begins in the morning.

On the sixth day, they gathered twice as much as usual—four quarts for each person instead of two. Then all the leaders of the community came and asked Moses for an explanation. He told them, “This is what the LORD commanded: Tomorrow will be a day of complete rest, a holy Sabbath day set apart for the LORD. So bake or boil as much as you want today, and set aside what is left for tomorrow.” So they put some aside until morning, just as Moses had commanded. And in the morning the leftover food was wholesome and good, without maggots or odor. Moses said, “Eat this food today, for today is a Sabbath day dedicated to the LORD. There will be no food on the ground today. (Exodus 16:22-25 NLT)​

I presume you are joking or do not know what serious is, there is nothing in the verses you quote that touch on when a day starts and ends, every day has a morning, midday, and afternoon, morning is when they had breakfast, the first meal of the day regardless of when the day starts.

In verse Exodus 16:23, Tomorrow is the rest of the Holly Sabbath unto the Lord ...... if this was said five seconds before sundown it would mean they, not God, was calling Saturday the Sabbath, if it was said five seconds after sundown it would mean they not God were calling Sunday the Sabath. What has surprised me is that the manna had to be cooked.

It is obvious that you are concocting excuses for not keeping the commandments of God.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟548,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
if this was said five seconds before sundown it would mean they, not God, was calling Saturday the Sabbath, if it was said five seconds after sundown it would mean they not God were calling Sunday the Sabath.
Brother, it is not Moses who is speaking about the day with words like "tomorrow" and "today" but it is God who is speaking through Moses, as Moses tells us with the following statement: "This is what the LORD commanded". God is revealing when the day begins, and it is not in the "evening" with quail but in the "morning" with Manna.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟495,035.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In the Bible the weekly Sabbath is Saturday - the 7th day of the week. From Friday Evening to Saturday evening.

So it is no wonder that when the gospels say that Jesus was raised on the first day of the week - everyone knows that this means our Sunday. This is easy and obvious.

The Catholic Church document "the Faith Explained" asks the question about "changing the LORD's day from Saturday to Sunday" like this -

1965 -- first published 1959 (from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243)

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"

I fully agree with - "in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it."

I fully agree with - "nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday"

Some will say "I don't care what the Catholic position is" but this idea of a "Change" for the Bible Sabbath from Saturday (the 7th day) to the first day is also mentioned in the Baptist Confession of Faith and in other denominational documents across the board.

Why then are they so clear on the fact that the Sabbath is the Lord's Day - and that a change was made via some sort of tradition - but not mentioned in the Bible.?

Is 58:13
“If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

Mark 2:27 "The Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"

Is 66:23 says that for all eternity after the cross and in the New Earth - "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship"

So no wonder in Acts 18:4 EVERY Sabbath they gather for gospel preaching in the synagogue - as Paul preached to both gentiles and Jews
No wonder in Acts 13 the GENTILES ask for MORE Gospel preaching to be scheduled for "The NEXT Sabbath" and then the next Sabbath almost the entire town shows up to hear it.

All Bible scholars know the following -
1. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the Lord's day"
2. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the holy day of the Lord"
3. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is My holy day"
4. There is no text saying "every week day one they gathered for gospel preaching"
5. There is no text saying "the Son of Man is LORD of week day 1"
6. There is no text saying "week day one is now the Sabbath of the LORD thy God" or "is now the Lord's day"
7. There is no text says "the gentiles asked that more Gospel preaching be given to them - on the next week day 1"

Some will say "well that just adds more weight to the Catholic Document quoted above stating that there is nothing in the Bible on that point". And of course that is true it does add weight to that part of their statement.

==========================================

"They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears, neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments."

—Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.

"They [Roman Catholics] allege the change of the Sabbath into the Lord's day, as it seemeth, to the Decalogue [the ten commandments]; and they have no example more in their mouths than they change of the Sabbath. They will needs have the Church's power to be very great, because it hath dispensed with the precept of the Decalogue."

—The Augsburg Confession, 1530 A.D. (Lutheran), part 2, art 7, in Philip Schaff, the Creeds of Christiandom, 4th Edition, vol 3, p64 [this important statement was made by the Lutherans and written by Melanchthon, only thirteen years after Luther nailed his theses to the door and began the Reformation].
I have sent off a question to ask the Rabbi, it will take a couple of days to get a reply. I don't think Jews have ever called the Sabbath the Lord's Day, the Lord's Day is what John describes in/by the book of revelation.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have sent off a question to ask the Rabbi, it will take a couple of days to get a reply. I don't think Jews have ever called the Sabbath the Lord's Day, the Lord's Day is what John describes in/by the book of revelation.
Is 58:13 it is called "The Holy Day of the Lord"

Mark 2:27 "the Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"

By contrast: There is not one text of scripture calling week-day-1 Sabbath or calling it "The Lord's Day"

Both Saturday and Sunday keeping denominations admit that the Sabbath was the Lord's Day in the OT - that includes Catholics in the book "The Faith Explained" and in may other instances.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟495,035.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Is 58:13 it is called "The Holy Day of the Lord"

Mark 2:27 "the Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"

By contrast: There is not one text of scripture calling week-day-1 Sabbath or calling it "The Lord's Day"

Both Saturday and Sunday keeping denominations admit that the Sabbath was the Lord's Day in the OT - that includes Catholics in the book "The Faith Explained" and in may other instances.

I may have managed to change the topic. I can allow that I may be wrong, but I am not aware that that the Sabbath is ever referred to as the Lord's Day in scripture, sometimes there are implication that the day belongs to the creator, sometimes it belongs to the Messiah and sometimes it belongs to man; bit I do not see ownership as the issue.

If someone was having a conversation about the Sabbath and said, ”The seventh day is the Lord's Day”, this could be like saying, “The Tyre is the car's Tyre.” But if they said, “Sunday is the Lord's Day”, then I would reply, “which Pagan God are you calling Lord, do you call it Jesus?”

I believe it is technically incorrect to call the Seventh day, The Lord's day, (Day of The Lord) because the term or concept is already taken; the day of blessing and cursing, the day of God's wrath, the day that God sets before man life or death, the Book of Revelation, Joel 2:1-2, Amos 5:18.

Calling the Sabbath the Lord's Day misdirects from the Great and Terrible Day of The Lord, and therefore sinister.

• Informative
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟923,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I may have managed to change the topic. I can allow that I may be wrong, but I am not aware that that the Sabbath is ever referred to as the Lord's Day in scripture, sometimes there are implication that the day belongs to the creator
We have the term "Lord's Day" in Rev 1
We have "The Son of Man is LORD of the Sabbath" in Mark 2
We have "the Sabbath - the Holy Day of the LORD" in Is 58:13

But to your point - we don't have any other text that speaks to the Rev 1 term.
I believe it is technically incorrect to call the Seventh day, The Lord's day, (Day of The Lord) because the term or concept is already taken
So then do you view Is 58:13 as a mistake?
13 “If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot​
From doing as you wish on My holy day,​
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,​
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,​
From seeking your own pleasure​
And speaking your own word,​

That Is 58:13 text may help explain why there is such agreement between Sabbath keeping and non-Sabbath keeping scholarship that "The Lord's day" in the Bible - in the OT was the 7th day Sabbath up until the cross (At which point the two groups differ in their views).
; the day of blessing and cursing, the day of God's wrath
I agree that outside of the concept of "my holy day" and "the holy day of the lord" there is also the day of God's wrath and vengeance (a future event) called "The day of the Lord"

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.”...
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟495,035.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We have the term "Lord's Day" in Rev 1
We have "The Son of Man is LORD of the Sabbath" in Mark 2
We have "the Sabbath - the Holy Day of the LORD" in Is 58:13

But to your point - we don't have any other text that speaks to the Rev 1 term.

So then do you view Is 58:13 as a mistake?
13 “If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot​
From doing as you wish on My holy day,​
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,​
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,​
From seeking your own pleasure​
And speaking your own word,​

That Is 58:13 text may help explain why there is such agreement between Sabbath keeping and non-Sabbath keeping scholarship that "The Lord's day" in the Bible - in the OT was the 7th day Sabbath up until the cross (At which point the two groups differ in their views).

I agree that outside of the concept of "my holy day" and "the holy day of the lord" there is also the day of God's wrath and vengeance (a future event) called "The day of the Lord"

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue just as they were from the beginning of creation.”...
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Mark 2 and Isa 58:13 refer to the Sabbath, and the Sabbath is stated, but “My Holy Day “, is a description of the Sabbath, not a title. In Rev 1:10, The Lord's Day is a title.; looking at the Greek it reads, I was in the spirit on (something that belongs to God) day. If there was something special about having a vision on the Sabbath, OK, but I am not aware that there is something special about having a vision on the Sabbath, or that the Sabbath is when prophets have their visions.

There is every reason to believe that John was identifying the “Day of the Lord”, of which the book of Revelation describes. And not acknowledging that is to short change God, and pairs with abrogating the Law.

Upvote 0