✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Continued -Part 2
Indeed, under the terms of the Old Covenant, the closest law-keepers could get to the presence of God was the second court that lay outside the Sanctuary. Your claim that obeying the sabbath commandment is “spending holy time with God” actually violates the Law.
God gave us the commandment and told us to not focus on works or labors Exo 20:9, on the seventh day Sabbath Exo 20:10 but to focus on Him. Isa 58:13 hence why we are to keep the Sabbath day holy Exo 20:8-11 thus saith the Lord. The Sabbath is about relationship with God and why it is always being attacked just like predicted in the scriptures Dan 7:25

The only means the Law allowed of even approaching near God’s presence involved a whole host of commandments; becoming a participant in the Old Covenant, traveling to Jerusalem, climbing the Temple Mount, passing through the barrier that only the Old Covenant people could enter and then only after having been property immersed in a ritual bath, entering one of the gates, crossing the Court of Prayer, climbing the flight of steps and entering the Beautiful Gate, crossing the Court of Israel, crossing the Court of the Priests, climbing the flight of steps up to the Porch of the Sanctuary, entering the Sanctuary, crossing the Holy Place, climbing more steps, opening the Veil of Separation, and stepping into the Holy of Holies, the only place on earth where the presence of God dwelt under the terms of the Old Covenant. And then, after violating all the commandments against the places you were forbidden to set foot in, you would be struck dead for daring to step beyond that veil and enter the Presence of God! So please, don’t speak about “spending holy time in God’s presence” by “observing the commandments of the Law,” because to even approach God’s presence by observing the commandments of the law was a death sentence.

So your claim is the Israelites were not to keep the Ten Commandments because if they disobeyed God by touching the ark of the covenant would be death? Is this really your take on these scriptures. I see why there is some confusion.

So here’s the problem with the Law, and why a new covenant was necessary.

The blood of bulls and goats could only cleanse the flesh. (Hebrews 9:13) The blood of the sacrifices commanded under the law, rivers of blood offered up through the centuries, could not cleanse the heart, and the heart is where sin comes from. (Matthew 15:19) But the Law was never intended to cleanse a man's heart of the sinful nature that we are all born with. The law was only intended to cleanse the flesh. And there was a reason for that. And that reason is both simple, and self-evident.

You seem to be confusing the law of Moses with the Ten Commandments. There are no animal sacrifices in the Ten Commandments Exodus 20. The law of Moses was added because of sin- for breaking the Ten Commandments. Hence why it was outside the ark. Animal sacrifices always pointed forward to Jesus as a placeholder. Heb 10:1-22 as the blood of animals could never take away sins, but the blood of Christ is perfect for cleansing us of all sin and unrighteousness but comes with conditions 1 Peter 1:9 Pro 28:13. Sin is still breaking the Ten Commandments Rom 7:7, breaking one of them you break them all James 2:10-12 and Jesus did not come to save us in sin Heb 10:26-30, He came to save us from sin Mat 1:21. If we are living for Christ- we would not be breaking His commandments and through Christ we can follow His example that He left for us, committing no sin 1 Peter 2:21-22 but tempted in every way just as we are Heb 4:15. Jesus never died so we can continue in sin, otherwise He could have just taken away the law. We too must die of sin Rom 6 and become a new creation in Christ and those who are hostile against His law Paul points out are the lost Rom 8:7-8

No wonder why the New Covenant was established on better promises Heb 8:6 not better or new laws because God is perfect and it would be impossible for Him to write an imperfect law with His own finger and why He writes His laws in our hearts and minds Heb 8:10 because it is perfect for converting the soul Psa 19:7

Because God’s Plan of Salvation meant that He would send a savior who would be born of Israel “according to the flesh.” (Romans 9:5) In the flesh, that is in his physical substance, Jesus is a physical descendant of Abraham, through the royal line of David, born of a young maiden of the Jewish people. So it was important that the Son of God be born according to the flesh of a people who were clean according to the flesh. So the Law only provided cleansing of sin “according to the flesh," so that Jesus would be born of a "clean vessel." While the Law could cleanse the flesh of sin and every manner of defilement, it could not and was never intended to cleanse the heart, where sin originates. That required another covenant, not something added to the Old to make it better, not something to replace part of the old and leave the rest intact, but a whole new and separate covenant, one that brought to pass all the promises of the Old.

Again, your confusing the different laws and their purposes. Many people do, but I would take time to study the differences. I would also consider the clear teachings of Jesus who told us clearly not to break the least of these commandments Mat 5:19-30 because in doing so ones heart is far from Him Mat 15:3-9 which is the opposite of the NC- God's law written in the heart Heb 8:10

"Woman, believe me, the hour has come, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. You don't know who you worship. We know who we worship, for salvation came forth from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him." (John 4:23)

This is such an important passage. We must worship Him in Truth and Spirit. All of God's commandments are Truth Psa 119:105.

Jesus in His own Words defined "false worship" i.e. worshipping in vain. That is when we keep our rules over keeping the commandments of God and Jesus quoted directly from the Ten Commandments saying ones heart is far from Him and in vain they worship.

Mat 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.
12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”
13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”

Keeping our rules over obeying the commandment of God is “blind” and leads one into a ditch i.e. off the narrow path. Hence Mat 5:19

This scripture shows us what true worship is:

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
Which reconciles us Rev 22:14

We can keep following the popular path that leads us away from obeying God's commandments or we can have room for faith and trust what God personally wrote and spoke with His own finger is because He loves us and knows what’s best for us.

We are living in the last days and God wants us to come out of our false teachings Rev 18:4 in lieu of popular teachings leading us away from obeying God's holy and righteous commandments that He personally wrote for moral and holy living.

I hope you consider this in prayer.

Thanks for the chat. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The ten commandments WERE like a 101 course to introduce the Israelites of their DUTY to God and to their fellow Israelites. Are you so dense that you believe that they contain all of the laws that man can commit to our fellow man? For instance there is not one word in any of the ten commandments about loving others. The greatest command is not mentioned in what you believe is the apotome to man. Abuse, hatred,
uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, drunkenness, reveling, and many more sins that man commits are not mentioned. This is what Paul claimed about the ones not mentioned in the ten of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Funny Paul didn't mention not observing the old covenant Sabbath as something that would keep man from inheriting the Kingdom of God. Ellen did though and according to her what she wrote was equal to divine scripture. "But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth. {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4} Ellen acted as the judge of man not only in this passage, but throughout her false writings.

Did you see all the question marks in my previous post? Why won't you address them?

Do you believe keeping the old Covenant Sabbath is more important than loving others as Jesus loves us? If you don't then why don't you ever write anything about Love as Jesus and the Bible writers taught? According to what you write the ritual Sabbath law is the most important one.
So just because the word love is not directly used means it is excluded from the meaning of the 10 commandments?

Deuteronomy 6: 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Now let's look at verse 1: NOW these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the Lord your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:

Look at what is in chapter 5. The 10 commandments.

Now, my question to you is if you love God with all your heart, soul and might are you going to break any of the first 4 commandments, and if you love your neighbor as yourself how many of the last 6 will you break? Is theft. lying to, coveting what belongs to your neighbor, killing him, things you will do out of love for your neighbor? Thus love is the basis of the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So just because the word love is not directly used means it is excluded from the meaning of the 10 commandments?
Absolutely. God was very specific in all of the "thou shalt nots" He did not mention love in His instruction to the Israelites as to how to treat their parents.
Deuteronomy 6: 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Allow me to remind you that Deut6:5 is not one of the ten commandments. Yes we should love our Creator, our parents and our neighbors. Love is our greatest commandment. We would not need any other command if we love others as Jesus loves us. Just think what this world would be like if we all loved each other. Would there be any strife at Columbia University today? Russia wouldn't be invading Ukraine, Iran would not be feeding all of the hatred toward Israel and the United States. China would not be building up to invade us and Twain. There would never have been slavery or the Holocaust. I could go on all day.
Now let's look at verse 1: NOW these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the Lord your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
To whom were those commandments and statutes directed? It was not the Gentile nations, it was not anyone living today. They were part of a covenant given to only one nation. A covenant that ended because that nation refused to live by it.
Look at what is in chapter 5. The 10 commandments.
It was reminding Israel and Israel only of what they agreed to at Sinai. It had nothing to do with any other nation. It has nothing to do with us today. We are not under the covenant given only to Israel.
Now, my question to you is if you love God with all your heart, soul and might are you going to break any of the first 4 commandments,
My point exactly Gary. Love supersedes all else.
and if you love your neighbor as yourself how many of the last 6 will you break?
Now you are tying to get me to to commit to on commandment that has nothing to do with our fellow man. I agree to the last five and all of the remainder of acts we can do to harm our fellow man. Every one of the nine commandments are part of the Royal Law of Love of the new and better covenant given at Calvary to not only Judah and Israel, but to all mankind. The fourth commandment was a ritual command given only to Israel for them to remember. They were to take a day to rest and reflect on how God led them out of Egypt and the creation of this Earth.
Is theft. lying to, coveting what belongs to your neighbor, killing him, things you will do out of love for your neighbor? Thus love is the basis of the 10 commandments.
Duty was the basis of the ten commandments. Love was and is a separate command which incorporates the nine commands. I realize it is very hard to comprehend since it has been drilled into us from the beginning of knowledge the the ten are about love. If they were God certainly would have mentioned the word in every one of them.

It is our duty to tell our little ones not to go near the edger of a cliff. We do it because we love them and do not want them to get hurt. We do not tell them "do not to go near the cliff because we love you".

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Absolutely. God was very specific in all of the "thou shalt nots" He did not mention love in His instruction to the Israelites as to how to treat their parents.

Allow me to remind you that Deut6:5 is not one of the ten commandments. Yes we should love our Creator, our parents and our neighbors. Love is our greatest commandment. We would not need any other command if we love others as Jesus loves us. Just think what this world would be like if we all loved each other. Would there be any strife at Columbia University today? Russia wouldn't be invading Ukraine, Iran would not be feeding all of the hatred toward Israel and the United States. China would not be building up to invade us and Twain. There would never have been slavery or the Holocaust. I could go on all day.

To whom were those commandments and statutes directed? It was not the Gentile nations, it was not anyone living today. They were part of a covenant given to only one nation. A covenant that ended because that nation refused to live by it.

It was reminding Israel and Israel only of what they agreed to at Sinai. It had nothing to do with any other nation. It has nothing to do with us today. We are not under the covenant given only to Israel.

My point exactly Gary. Love supersedes all else.

Now you are tying to get me to to commit to on commandment that has nothing to do with our fellow man. I agree to the last five and all of the remainder of acts we can do to harm our fellow man. Every one of the nine commandments are part of the Royal Law of Love of the new and better covenant given at Calvary to not only Judah and Israel, but to all mankind. The fourth commandment was a ritual command given only to Israel for them to remember. They were to take a day to rest and reflect on how God led them out of Egypt and the creation of this Earth.

Duty was the basis of the ten commandments. Love was and is a separate command which incorporates the nine commands. I realize it is very hard to comprehend since it has been drilled into us from the beginning of knowledge the the ten are about love. If they were God certainly would have mentioned the word in every one of them.

It is our duty to tell our little ones not to go near the edger of a cliff. We do it because we love them and do not want them to get hurt. We do not tell them "do not to go near the cliff because we love you".
So love supersedes good behavior? Seems to me love and treating others badly are the antithesis of each other. Very odd comment. And only Jews need treat people honestly, kindly, and love God with all their heart, mind and strength? Your comments get weirder all the time.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So love supersedes good behavior?
Good behavior is part of loving .
Seems to me love and treating others badly are the antithesis of each other
Now you are headed in the right direction.
. Very odd comment.
What is a very odd comment?
And only Jews need treat people honestly, kindly, and love God with all their heart, mind and strength? Your comments get weirder all the time.
Where did I indicate such a notion? Did you actually read my post. What Is it in my post that seems weird? Is it really that you are running out of excuses for not agreeing with the real truth as seen in all the scripture being stated?

I guess sounding weird to someone who is not tuned to what scripture is really telling us and relying on a woman that had a severe head injury and made so many false statements, that it is hard decipher one from the other. I know personally because I once relied on what she wrote.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good behavior is part of loving .

Now you are headed in the right direction.

What is a very odd comment?

Where did I indicate such a notion? Did you actually read my post. What Is it in my post that seems weird? Is it really that you are running out of excuses for not agreeing with the real truth as seen in all the scripture being stated?

I guess sounding weird to someone who is not tuned to what scripture is really telling us and relying on a woman that had a severe head injury and made so many false statements, that it is hard decipher one from the other. I know personally because I once relied on what she wrote.
The 10 commandments prohibit treating others badly. Yet you deny this is good. You say obeying them is the antithesis of love, especially if a person loves God enough to honor Him by worshiping Him on the Sabbath..

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟761,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On a break at the moment & haven’t read most of the thread. However, in Orthodoxy ( & I presume in overall Christian tradition), we call Resurrection Day “Passover” along the lines of 1 Corinthians 5:7 & Matthew 28:1-9. “Easter” is just a clunky ( not evil) term from Germanic language.

Personally, I am not saying keeping the sabbath is wrong for those who stick to it. Most early Christians moved away from it. Paul discontinued his ministry among the Jews during the Sabbath ( Acts 18:1-6) & probably the SundaY gathering ( Acts 20:7) took in the sabbath alongside the resurrection worship. It just happened that way for most of the early Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
On a break at the moment & haven’t read most of the thread. However, in Orthodoxy ( & I presume in overall Christian tradition), we call Resurrection Day “Passover” along the lines of 1 Corinthians 5:7 & Matthew 28:1-9. “Easter” is just a clunky ( not evil) term from Germanic language.

Personally, I am not saying keeping the sabbath is wrong for those who stick to it. Most early Christians moved away from it. Paul discontinued his ministry among the Jews during the Sabbath ( Acts 18:1-6) & probably the SundaY gathering ( Acts 20:7) took in the sabbath alongside the resurrection worship. It just happened that way for most of the early Christians.
How do you get Paul departed from the Sabbath when the scripture literally says he kept every Sabbath preaching to Jews and Gentiles Acts 18:4. Acts 20:7 says nothing about Sunday being a new day of worship. It says they broke break- meaning they had a meal- something they did daily. Acts 2:46. If we want to follow the commandments of God we should keep the Sabbath, if we want to follow popular traditions, thats a choice one can make. Jesus tells us which choice we should make. Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟761,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How do you get Paul departed from the Sabbath when the scripture literally says he kept every Sabbath preaching to Jews and Gentiles Acts 18:4. Acts 20:7 says nothing about Sunday being a new day of worship. It says they broke break- meaning they had a meal- something they did daily. Acts 2:46. If we want to follow the commandments of God we should keep the Sabbath, if we want to follow popular traditions, thats a choice one can make. Jesus tells us which choice we should make. Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13
I said Paul discontinued his ministry among the Jews on the Sabbath in Acts 18:1-6. I also mentioned that soon after the Sunday gathering is mentioned in Acts 20:7. Most of the early Christians went with keeping the Sabbath on the day of resurrection that’s it. Revelation 1:10 was understood in that way and it is mentioned as such in the early post apostolic Didache document.

I can respect your justification as to why you observe the sabbath and all your arguments for its legitimacy. You think this is wrong and most Christians think otherwise.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I said Paul discontinued his ministry among the Jews on the Sabbath in Acts 18:1-6.
Only the Jews who were rejecting the gospel, not all Jews.

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greek
Acts 13:42 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God
I also mentioned that soon after the Sunday gathering is mentioned in Acts 20:7.
To break bread. Something they did daily. Acts 2:46 Lets not add what's not there
Most of the early Christians went with keeping the Sabbath on the day of resurrection that’s it.
Not according to scripture. That happened after scripture just as predicted Dan 7:25 Acts 20:29. The saints continue with Sabbath worship for eternity Isa 66:22-23 His will in heaven is the same for us now. Mat 6:10 Hence Exodus 20:8-11 written by the finger of God.
Revelation 1:10 was understood in that way and it is mentioned as such in the early post apostolic Didache document.
Which is why we have a warning not to add to scripture Pro 30:5-6 or lean on our own understanding Pro 3:5-6 but let God direct our path.

What day is God's holy day in His own Words.

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

Exo 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.
Mark 2:2828 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”
The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord =Lord of the Sabbath i.e. is God's holy day, thus saith the Lord. Made for man Mark 2:27 and everyone Isa 56:6 to bless Isa 56:1-6 and sanctify Eze 20:12 because we can't sanctify ourselves, we need God.

We should never try to speak for God. Or add something He never intended. Exo 20:9 In doing so, we profane our holy Father. Eze 22:26 No wonder why He pleads with us to come out of our false teachings Rev 18:4 as we must worship Him in Truth and Spirit John 4:21-22 and Jesus in His own Words defines false worship as keeping our traditions over obeying the commandments of God Mat 15:3-14 Jesus kept the Sabbath Luke 4:16 He is our example to follow 1 John 2:6 and will only lead us down the narrow path back to reconciliation Rev 22:14

I can respect your justification as to why you observe the sabbath and all your arguments for its legitimacy. You think this is wrong and most Christians think otherwise.
True. Jesus never told us to follow most Christians but to follow Him. He is the DOOR, no one else. Even the apostles taught to obey God rather than man. Acts 5:29

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟761,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Right and Revelation 1:8 was understood as Sunday worship & sabbath rememberance. No adding or subtracting but different understandings of an aspect of doctrine not the doctrine itself.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Right and Revelation 1:8 was understood as Sunday worship & sabbath rememberance. No adding or subtracting but different understandings of an aspect of doctrine not the doctrine itself.
No. That is read into it. John was a Jew. He worshiped on the 7th day.

1John 4: 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,077.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. That is read into it. John was a Jew. He worshiped on the 7th day.
Thats, of course, your reading into it.

As Peter was said to not follow Jewish traditions but living more like a Gentile or as Paul said nobody needs to keep any days, so also John did not need to worship on the day you would like him to just because of his ethnicity.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

This is correct.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thats, of course, your reading into it.

As Peter was said to not follow Jewish traditions but living more like a Gentile or as Paul said nobody needs to keep any days, so also John did not need to worship on the day you would like him to just because of his ethnicity.
So John wasn't a Jew who grew up keeping the seventh day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
We see how the name "Easter" never appears in the Greek New Testament. Easter is not a Christian name. It is Chaldean (Babylonian) in origin, a variation on the name Astarte…

This is both inaccurate (Easter is a word of West German or Saxon origin), and irrelevant, for while the word for the Feast of the Resurrection, as the holiday is formaly known, may be Easter in German and English, but not Dutch, or most other languages, where the Feast of the Resurrection is called Pascha, or a local variation on that word. For example, the Dutch call the holiday Passen.

None of the Early Church Fathers referred to Pascha by any other name, and furthermore, even in England and Germany and other countries where the name is a variant on Easter, the Orthodox Church tends to refer to the feast as Pascha, to avoid
confusion (just as we refer to the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord as Theophany rather than Epiphany, to avoid confusion with the Western feast of the visitation of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ by the Magi on the same day).

Thus, all arguments that seek to invalidate the Feast of the Resurrection based on the superficial similarity of a vernacular name for it in English and some other Germanic languages (but not all of them) to a Chaldean deity can be dismissed as irrelevant.

+

Logically, they are the same as arguing that Pentecost is Pagan and should not be celebrated, because England, Pentecost is known as Whitsunday (because churches are decorated in wheat), and in Saxon paganism, the word Wiht can be used to refer to nature-dwelling spirits. Also it starts with W, which is also the first letter in the Saxon name for Odin, Woden (known as Wotan in German). And also Pentecost starts with “Pent” which are the first four letters of a Pentagram, a symbol that has in recent years become associated with the occult, witchcraft and devil worship.

Of course, all of this is irrelevant for the same reason the argument against the Feast of the Resurrection is irrelevant. Whitsunday is the English name for a holiday called Pentecost in Greek, introduced in the Old Testament as the Feast of Weeks, consisting of the seven weeks following Pascha, and is known in Hebrew as שבועות (Shavuot).

Thus, arguments against the Christian adaptation of Pascha that derive from the name it has received in a specific country are fundamentally irrelevant, since the name of the feast is, by definition, a nominal value. The substance of Pascha is the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ our Passover, whose blood was spilled so that we might be raised from the dead, like Him, and be accounted worthy to enter the Promised Land of the World to Come.

• Useful
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So the broad way is the road to salvation?

No, the road is still quite narrow, since Christians have at all times accounted for only a minority of the world’s population, and many are members of sects that subscribe to various heterodox belief systems, such as denying the Trinity or the Incarnation, and many more commit apostasy or fail to forgive others or lack a true faith, but are rather hypocrites, for example, the kind of person who lies with impunity and believes it to be acceptable behavior because they assume they will be forgiven despite their lack of compunction, contrition or any attempt at repentance.

However, what is relevant is that the majority of churches agree with the Church Fathers on this issue. And it is difficult to reconcile the position of Sabbatarian churches with the Patristic teaching, which is problematic given that the New Testament canon was finalized by St. Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria, who defended the doctrine of the Incarnation and the Trinity at Nicaea, where the initial version of the Creed, later slightly modified at the Second Ecumenical Synod in Constantinople, was adopted, and it was also Nicaea which adopted the Paschalion for calculating the date of Pascha that is still used by nearly all churches to this day, and indeed the New Testament canon in its present form was first released to the world in the form of an encyclical (a letter sent to all the bishops of a church) from St. Athanasius to his brother bishops throughout Egypt, which he sent every year, advising them when to celebrate Easter (since his office in Alexandria did the math of the Paschalion, called the Computus in Latin, so they didn’t have to), specifically the thirty ninth such encyclical.

So the ironic situation exists where if one accepts the 27 book New Testament canon and the doctrines of the Incarnation and of the Trinity, one cannot coherently embrace Quartodecimianism, because without Athanasius, the Arians would have succeeded, for the simple fact that for several dark years in the mid fourth century, the Roman Emperor and most bishops were Arian, and the few who weren’t, other than Athanasius, including the Roman bishop, were reluctant to stick their necks out and oppose the Arians. Hence the phrase “Athanasius contra mundum.”

Arius, to be clear, denied that Jesus Christ was God incarnate, coeternal with the Father and coequal with Him, as taught in John 1:1-14, and insisted that He was not God the Son, nor was the Holy Spirit a person, God the Holy Spirit, but rather, taught that Jesus Christ was created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,077.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is both inaccurate (Easter is a word of West German or Saxon origin), and irrelevant, for while the word for the Feast of the Resurrection, as the holiday is formaly known, may be Easter in German and English, but not Dutch, or most other languages, where the Feast of the Resurrection is called Pascha, or a local variation on that word. For example, the Dutch call the holiday Passen.

None of the Early Church Fathers referred to Pascha by any other name, and furthermore, even in England and Germany and other countries where the name is a variant on Easter, the Orthodox Church tends to refer to the feast as Pascha, to avoid
confusion (just as we refer to the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord as Theophany rather than Epiphany, to avoid confusion with the Western feast of the visitation of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ by the Magi on the same day).

Thus, all arguments that seek to invalidate the Feast of the Resurrection based on the superficial similarity of a vernacular name for it in English and some other Germanic languages (but not all of them) to a Chaldean deity can be dismissed as irrelevant.
Also, in Slavic languages (ie. in the most of the Central and Eastern Europe), its called "The great night":
Velikonoce (Czech)
Wielkanoc (Polish)
Veľká noc (Slovak)
Velika noč (Slovenien) etc.

These naming comes from the Greek μεγάλη ἡμέρα (megalē hēmerā). The word "great" reflects the significance of the feast in Christianity, and the word "night" refers to the Easter vigil, the night liturgy that begins the celebration of Resurrection Sunday.

• Winner
Upvote 0