Should you give to bums on the street when you know they are using drugs?

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is truly a dilemma for me. I don't want to become an enabler nor be defrauded. At the same time, I don't want to "judge the ones I help" (a pastor's phrase, not mine). When I was volunteering at my church, I was stumbled by overhearing another volunteer who said, "They can't stay working at a minimum wage for so many years; they are milking the system."

Okay, there are those who do milk the system. But then there are others who legitimately cannot move up because they can only work part time due to family obligation, or due to other legitimate circumstances. It's really a tough call.
Being a good steward doesn't require us to judge anyone. But in my area, the same things are done across the board, regardless of the situation. Some people come looking for help with bills and the church will cut a check to the appropriate organization be it the utility company, the auto lender, or whatever. They don't just give people money because the temptation will be for them not to use the money for the purpose the sought it.

We can't help what people do or don't do, but we can take measures to be good stewards on our end. What they end up doing with the help they receive is between them and the Lord. If we help them find work and they don't show up, that's on them, not us. But I have seen people who get a job and pull themselves up and put forth a heroic effort to make a better life. They won't be rich, but they have hope and purpose and some healthy self-respect.

Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This discussion is about poverty, right?

Everyone agrees that poverty is a real evil. But I don't think that will be fixed until Jesus comes back and he reigns on this earth and HE changes some things and makes things right for a change. I think only HE has the real power to overthrow all evil.

You will notice that we as humans are powerless to do anything or solve any of our own problems. Why? Sin. Even though our world leaders have tried their best to help us, the help of man is still not enough. We need the help of a higher power, we need GOD's help, the kind of help only HE can give.

I myself was born really poor and even though my parents worked jobs over the years we never got rich from any of it.

Mom and dad told me I would never EVER be rich. I am just a humble country girl.

As a result I have detached myself from all material possessions. One day I am going to die and leave this place too.

GOD has told us that the wealth we chase after our whole lives is vain. So why do we work to get ahead? We are all going to die anyway, so working to accumulate material wealth is all in vain.

So what is the point? People spend their lives seeking wealth and fame and money only to have themselves die in the end. As GOD said, its all in vain. Can people keep the wealth, or the money, or the fame that they earn? No, they cannot. For death happens to everyone.

We should not labor to be rich, I say. I can't even work a job anyway. I have mental disabilities so my mother has to be my legal guardian and she has to take care of me, basically.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
IF you know if someone is asking for money but he is going to use to buy something illegal, should you give him money? How do you know if that person is going to buy a gun, and start killing everyone in the church?

Giving money to a bum is foolish and wasteful.

• Prayers
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Demily

Dec 10, 2019
Bloomingdale
✟20,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 6:30-38 (KJV) Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
IF you know if someone is asking for money but he is going to use to buy something illegal, should you give him money? How do you know if that person is going to buy a gun, and start killing everyone in the church?
I worked with another Christian who attended an inner city church. They had the policy of confronting needful people who ask for money what they needed it for. When they tell them it's for food, cloths etc... Those Christians said yes, we'll go with you together to buy you some food, cloths etc. When numerous of those "needful" people heard that, they'd just turn around and leave.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I worked with another Christian who attended an inner city church. They had the policy of confronting needful people who ask for money what they needed it for. When they tell them it's for food, cloths etc... Those Christians said yes, we'll go with you together to buy you some food, cloths etc. When numerous of those "needful" people heard that, they'd just turn around and leave.

Proving what they are *really* up to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you see that person standing in the Heat of Summer or during the Cold of winter, outside, and their sign says....>"help" "hungry", then give them some money.
You've just helped the poor.

And you say..>"well, what if they are on the street because they are a drug addict, or just made stupid choices in life".
Then be glad all your stupid choices didn't end you up on the street so that some carnal greedy "forum only" christian can judge you instead of helping you when you have not eaten in 2 days or slept well outside in 16 months.

Jesus said you'd always have the poor with you, and to give to the poor is to lend to the Lord.
So, it does not matter regarding why they are on the street, as God is not looking at them in this situation, and He is not looking at your money in this situation, He is , as usual, only looking at your heart's motive.
Christ didn't save you because you are good enough, He only saved you because He is Love.
Love GIVES.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think homelessness and drug use are two completely different topics that should be addressed individually. Should you give to the homeless? Yes. Should you give money to people who do drugs? No.

Should you give God's money, that He is allowing you to have, that actually belongs to Him, to someone who is on the street because of any type of addiction that sent them there?
Yes you should, and often.
We, who are born again, who are kept from the ditch of Life by the Grace of God, should not look down our spiritual noses at those who are on the street, no matter their reason.
We do not have the luxury of playing God at Large, so that we decide who is worthy enough to be poor and the recipient of our self hallowed favored graces.
We should not require the poor to have a reason that is "suitable" enough to meet our judgmental criteria before we hand a hungry suffering person a few dollars to let them know that the God we serve, loves them no matter what.
We the born again, who are given from God's "riches in Glory", our nice cars and our nice home and our nice life, and our HEALTH, should never esteem God's goodness to be based on our worthiness, as we are not worthy of the Blood of Jesus, OR the favor of God, and never think you are.....as you are not.
We are blessed only because God is Good, and we should share the good of God and not resist this Love.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

How do you know that? Do you ask somebody whom you've never met if s/he is a drug addict or a gun nut? I sincerely doubt that you do.

Are you familiar with Matthew 7:1-3? It says, "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own?"

I suggest that you follow the Lord's clear directive. And this also...

" 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ and ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Giving money to a bum is foolish and wasteful.

Matthew 25:44-45: “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟150,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
“Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord." - Leviticus 19:14

This verse has been taken both literally as a commandment against treating the disabled poorly and figuratively to mean not to give bad advice or help/cause someone to sin. Giving someone money you strongly suspect will be used in a negative manner could then count as placing a "stumbling block" before them. As others have said, it would be better to give them food rather than money that they might spend on harmful substances.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
“Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord." - Leviticus 19:14

This verse has been taken both literally as a commandment against treating the disabled poorly and figuratively to mean not to give bad advice or help/cause someone to sin. Giving someone money you strongly suspect will be used in a negative manner could then count as placing a "stumbling block" before them. As others have said, it would be better to give them food rather than money that they might spend on harmful substances.

Helping everyone in need is what Christ told us to do. Judging them without any basis other than their appearance is contrary to our Lord's clear direction.

The Lord clearly says in Matthew 7: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟150,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Helping everyone in need is what Christ told us to do. Judging them without any basis other than their appearance is contrary to our Lord's clear direction.

The Lord clearly says in Matthew 7: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"
I briefly helped at my old church when they would feed the needy. Anyone could come and get a meal during that time. They could also take bread home that the church had gotten from local grocery stores. No one was checking their bank account to make sure they really needed the meal or the bread. It was basically an honor system.

An honor system works in that context pretty well because all they can get is food. But when you're donating money that can be used for anything it's a different story. Not only can people take advantage of other people's virtue, lying about what the money is for, but they can do so at their own harm. Alcohol is even more dangerous than normal right now because it lowers the immune system in a time when a virus is spreading.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,405,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If I give to someone who is homeless, I hope and pray that they use the money that I gave them for food or other supplies needed for them to survive. If they decide to use the gifts that others may give them for things that do not benefit them, then it is on them and while my heart hurts cause they are hurting themselves, they are throwing away the ability to survive for something temporary.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
hope and pray that they use the money that I gave them for food or other supplies needed for them to survive.
You could consider that "hope" as being so heavenly minded that you're not of any earthly good. Have you ever walked down a street and been asked for money to buy a cup of coffee? Try taking time out of your schedule and say you're willing to go to a coffee shop and pay for that cup of coffee.

Hope and praying is one thing, doing is another. The first part of my previous sentence is akin to virtue signalling, the latter takes work.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0