Should you give to bums on the street when you know they are using drugs?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,073,247.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I knew a guy like this who would ask for money. He would give me a long story. I would pause, think about it, and then tell him I would follow him to the grocery store and buy him the food. He would decline my offer, indicating to me that he did not want the money for solid food.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
IF you know if someone is asking for money but he is going to use to buy something illegal, should you give him money? How do you know if that person is going to buy a gun, and start killing everyone in the church?

First off, don't like the word "bums".

In that case, it wouldn't be a wise move to keep giving. You can offer something other than money, like food or to give them informational pamphlets on where to find things.

I wouldn't though based that off of an idea that off the bat they are going to abuse them because they are on the streets. Test out the situation.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually alot of the homeless are war vets now. They couldn't fit back into society in one way or another and they were usually abandoned by they're friends/family... if they had any to begin with.

The best thing to do is not give money to the homeless. But instead bring them a meal or drink. Or take them somewhere for that. Unlike giving them cash, which if they are lying or misusing it, buying them food/drinks at least means you are helping them without having to worry about what they would have done if you gave them cash.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟329,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually alot of the homeless are war vets now. They couldn't fit back into society in one way or another and they were usually abandoned by they're friends/family... if they had any to begin with.

Don't vets get some kind of benefits for serving? I don't know why so many are homeless, the people i know who served get all kinds of benefits so I don't know why a lot of homeless people used to be in the military.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟53,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well first of all, I'm not sure who is giving homeless people enough money to buy a gun, especially in passing. I've never heard of a homeless person going on a shooting rampage. I'm sure someone can pull up a case of such of thing just to prove me wrong, but the point is, that virtually never happens, so I'm not sure why it's something to worry about. The homeless have enough to worry about themselves, such as not freezing or starving to death.

If you KNOW they are going to buy drugs, don't give them cash. But how would you absolutely know? If, for some reason, you do absolutely know that they are going to buy drugs, it's best to give them actual food or a source of currency that can only be used to buy food, such as a gift card to a place that only sells food. Or even other essentials like personal hygiene items and clothing.

I personally never know what the homeless will do with the money I give them. I want to believe that they all get food or some other essentials, but that's wishful thinking. For me, I always give money, in my ignorance, because I would rather be burned 99 times out of 100 having helped the 1, rather than to not do anything at all.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't vets get some kind of benefits for serving? I don't know why so many are homeless, the people i know who served get all kinds of benefits so I don't know why a lot of homeless people used to be in the military.
Yep but some don't know how to get them or they have such bad mental issues (PTSD) for example that they can't be dealt with or don't want help. They often don't know what to do or where to go sadly.

When I was younger my dad would take me with him and we would pick up homeless men and buy new clothes from a thrift store, a meal and share the word of God with them. We would also try to get them some help either through a shelter or other places. Including places that helped war vets. Actually one man we picked up had travelled from across the country and ran out of money and couldn't get back home. So he had been living on the street for about two weeks. We got him some help and he was able to reunite with his family and was so thankful. People often just see homeless and "losers" or "lazy drunks" but everyone has a story. Even the ones who a drunks.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
How did the disciples handle panhandlers? They had no money to give, but stated they would give what they had - they had the power of Jesus to heal.

When you are faced with a person asking for money, why not give them what you have? What do you have that they need? Might it be a ride to their father's home for Christmas in the next town over? Might it be a hot meal that you can buy for them? Might it be something as simple as a hot cup of coffee? Might it be a listening and compassionate ear to hear and genuinely respond to their story? Might it be to purchase their next month's supply of drugs to keep their schizophrenia under some semblance of control?

Here is a novel idea. Simply ask. When they want money, ask what they intend to spend the money on. It might be something as simple as to pay for a shower at the local truck stop or an extra pair of socks because their shoes are completely worn out in the soles or mittens to keep their hands warm. Then rather than give them money for it, take them out and give them the dignity of choosing their own mittens, socks, or whatever they need. After all, who are we to assume we know how to meet their needs?

in agreement with MissKris, the use of the term "bum" implies they are there of their own lazy volition, and worse, it implies that you are better than "them". This is 99% not true. Most are there because they have a history of trauma, which is why they use - to avoid feeling the pain of the trauma, and to cope with what their lives have become. Sometimes they were successful business men or women whose business partner took it all and split. Or maybe a hard working person whose spouse kicked them out and they lost their job. Never make judgements based on current circumstances. You have no idea why these people ended up where they are. And some day, you might end up there, too.

In addition, a lot of homeless people might not even be unemployed. Where I live, rents are sky high, so even making $20 an hour, it barely covers the rent. Then they have to choose - shelter or food. You get hungry enough, and you will alter your shelter in order to eat. The spiral down can happen pretty fast.

So... might you want to rethink the apostles - What I have, I give to you. Do you have an old camping stove you never use anymore? Do you have an extra tent? How about a fishing rod and filet knife so they can catch dinner (if you live on a river). Did you just go grocery shopping and have an extra roll of toilet paper to give them? Or maybe you have the talent and means to build a tiny home for someone living in their car. Get creative... especially when they ask for something that is not drugs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Give them the money. It's not our job to judge others. People always like to assume the worst of homeless beggars simply because they're homeless and begging. Oftentimes they're genuinely sweet people who just fell on hard times, a lot of the time due to mental illness.

Yes, a lot of them may be taking drugs, but it's often a coping mechanism. People who grew up sheltered and away from any sort of financial difficulties may not realize that.

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Give them the money. It's not our job to judge others.
It is our job to be good stewards of the money God has given to us. Giving someone money so they can keep up their drug habit contradicts the very reason one would give them money. It is not judging them to offer them real help instead of throwing good money away and end up supporting their self-destructive habit.

People always like to assume the worst of homeless beggars simply because they're homeless and begging. Oftentimes they're genuinely sweet people who just fell on hard times, a lot of the time due to mental illness.
It is a fair and reasonable assumption, though. We have panhandlers that spend 10 hours a day standing at street corners begging for money. The police in our stopped my parents after they gave money to a panhandler. He explained that many of the "homeless" in our town are that way on purpose because they are trying to hide from child support payments, or they are sexual predators and would be required to put that on job applications or rental applications. They would have to register as a sex offender in our city, as well. In some cases, the panhandlers are not homeless at all. They did an expose our local news that caught them driving home in SUV's or pretty decent cars. They can make up to $100 a day completely tax free, better than working a regular 9-5 job. So things are not as they seem in some cases and it is wise to know to whom you are giving money

Yes, a lot of them may be taking drugs, but it's often a coping mechanism. People who grew up sheltered and away from any sort of financial difficulties may not realize that.
That's not an excuse that is going to hold water. We should not be enabling that kind of "coping" mechanism.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
It is our job to be good stewards of the money God has given to us. Giving someone money so they can keep up their drug habit contradicts the very reason one would give them money. It is not judging them to offer them real help instead of throwing good money away and end up supporting their self-destructive habit.

It is a fair and reasonable assumption, though. We have panhandlers that spend 10 hours a day standing at street corners begging for money. The police in our stopped my parents after they gave money to a panhandler. He explained that many of the "homeless" in our town are that way on purpose because they are trying to hide from child support payments, or they are sexual predators and would be required to put that on job applications or rental applications. They would have to register as a sex offender in our city, as well. In some cases, the panhandlers are not homeless at all. They did an expose our local news that caught them driving home in SUV's or pretty decent cars. They can make up to $100 a day completely tax free, better than working a regular 9-5 job. So things are not as they seem in some cases and it is wise to know to whom you are giving money

That's not an excuse that is going to hold water. We should not be enabling that kind of "coping" mechanism.

Come talk to me when you actually understand the realities of poverty.

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Come talk to me when you actually understand the realities of poverty.
I very much understand the realities of poverty. I volunteer at a food bank. I have helped people who were poor get jobs and get off of government dependence. I understand that simply throwing money at the problem doesn't work.

The best way to get people out of poverty is to get them into a job. I help with real solutions. I don't offer them a means to perpetuate their poverty. People need real help, but that means real solutions.

And getting a job is just their first step to freedom form poverty. But it is what they have to get and it works. Our local Christian soup kitchen started a restaurant that trained and hired homeless people to cook, serve and clean and they do really good and it has given these people sense of pride and it has given them hope.

Your approach evidently, just throws money at people without any regard with what they do with that money. But when people have to earn the money, when they hold a check in their hands that represents the work they put in for the week, they spend the money on better things. They start feeling a sense of responsibility and all of a sudden, they want a place to live, to call home. They want something to call their own. It's amazing to see the transformation when homeless people get a job.

Some are unwilling to work and as I stated before have issues and getting a job will expose them to legal jeopardy. But many are just the opposite. They like having a purpose and a reason to get up in the morning. They like telling people they have job.

I not only understand the realities of poverty, but I also understand that most people can and do come out of poverty to live a better, more productive life.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟636,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Give them the money. It's not our job to judge others. People always like to assume the worst of homeless beggars simply because they're homeless and begging. Oftentimes they're genuinely sweet people who just fell on hard times, a lot of the time due to mental illness.

Agree.
We give when asked, that's the teaching (Mt 5 and Lk 6).
There's no prerequisite to give only if they are buying from our approved vendor list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I very much understand the realities of poverty. I volunteer at a food bank. I have helped people who were poor get jobs and get off of government dependence. I understand that simply throwing money at the problem doesn't work.

The best way to get people out of poverty is to get them into a job. I help with real solutions. I don't offer them a means to perpetuate their poverty. People need real help, but that means real solutions.

And getting a job is just their first step to freedom form poverty. But it is what they have to get and it works. Our local Christian soup kitchen started a restaurant that trained and hired homeless people to cook, serve and clean and they do really good and it has given these people sense of pride and it has given them hope.

Your approach evidently, just throws money at people without any regard with what they do with that money. But when people have to earn the money, when they hold a check in their hands that represents the work they put in for the week, they spend the money on better things. They start feeling a sense of responsibility and all of a sudden, they want a place to live, to call home. They want something to call their own. It's amazing to see the transformation when homeless people get a job.

Some are unwilling to work and as I stated before have issues and getting a job will expose them to legal jeopardy. But many are just the opposite. They like having a purpose and a reason to get up in the morning. They like telling people they have job.

I not only understand the realities of poverty, but I also understand that most people can and do come out of poverty to live a better, more productive life.

It's obvious to me that you have never personally lived poverty. Oftentimes it's not so simple as just "getting a job". People, employers especially, have a lot of preconceived notions about others. If somebody is homeless, thus is wearing rags and is constantly dirty then it's not like anybody is going to hire them. Even then simply having a job isn't a free ticket out of poverty. Many people work, multiple jobs sometimes, and still are trapped in an endless cycle. It's both a combination of luck and having the right connections, which most people simply do not have. There's a reason why most of the upper class people come from an upper class upbringing themselves: right from birth they had the right connections and stuff in order to be successful. Rags to riches stories, while do happen, are extremely rare.

So yea, please cut me this "get a job" nonsense.

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's obvious to me that you have never personally lived poverty.
I live well below the poverty line right now. I am not homeless but I make far less than what most people can live on. But I make it work. So I would not be too quick to pass judgement on me. You have no idea about what is or is not obvious. You have no idea who I am what I have to deal with and are in no position to look down a self-righteous snoot at me.

Oftentimes it's not so simple as just "getting a job". People, employers especially, have a lot of preconceived notions about others. If somebody is homeless, thus is wearing rags and is constantly dirty then it's not like anybody is going to hire them.
Well yes, but there are charities in our area that also help by providing job interview clothing, like suits and ties for men and business attire for women. These are not dumb people, but people who simply need a hand up, in most cases.

Even then simply having a job isn't a free ticket out of poverty.
I didn't say it was a free ticket. I said it was just the first step.

Many people work, multiple jobs sometimes, and still are trapped in an endless cycle.
But getting some a job so they have a chance at getting out of poverty is far better than your solution, which is "just give them money" which perpetuates an ongoing life of self-destructive choices. Your approach is no solution at all.

It's both a combination of luck and having the right connections, which most people simply do not have.
No, it is about taking charge of your own destiny. It's about restoring someone's pride and giving them some hope and implementing REAL solutions to a problem.

There's a reason why most of the upper class people come from an upper class upbringing themselves: right from birth they had the right connections and stuff in order to be successful. Rags to riches stories, while do happen, are extremely rare.

But I am not talking about rags to riches. I am talking about just getting back one's feet and making a better life. No, they will never be rich, but it's not about getting rich.

So yea, please cut me this "get a job" nonsense.
It's not nonsense and it is a far better idea than your approach which keeps people in poverty by just throwing money at them and letting them destroy themselves.[/quote][/QUOTE]

• Winner
Reactions: Olmhinlu
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IF you know if someone is asking for money but he is going to use to buy something illegal, should you give him money? How do you know if that person is going to buy a gun, and start killing everyone in the church?

We could give them Subway gift cards, or buy them a sandwich.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I live well below the poverty line right now. I am not homeless but I make far less than what most people can live on. But I make it work. So I would not be too quick to pass judgement on me. You have no idea about what is or is not obvious. You have no idea who I am what I have to deal with and are in no position to look down a self-righteous snoot at me.

Well yes, but there are charities in our area that also help by providing job interview clothing, like suits and ties for men and business attire for women. These are not dumb people, but people who simply need a hand up, in most cases.

I didn't say it was a free ticket. I said it was just the first step.

But getting some a job so they have a chance at getting out of poverty is far better than your solution, which is "just give them money" which perpetuates an ongoing life of self-destructive choices. Your approach is no solution at all.

No, it is about taking charge of your own destiny. It's about restoring someone's pride and giving them some hope and implementing REAL solutions to a problem.

But I am not talking about rags to riches. I am talking about just getting back one's feet and making a better life. No, they will never be rich, but it's not about getting rich.

It's not nonsense and it is a far better idea than your approach which keeps people in poverty by just throwing money at them and letting them destroy themselves.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

This is truly a dilemma for me. I don't want to become an enabler nor be defrauded. At the same time, I don't want to "judge the ones I help" (a pastor's phrase, not mine). When I was volunteering at my church, I was stumbled by overhearing another volunteer who said, "They can't stay working at a minimum wage for so many years; they are milking the system."

Okay, there are those who do milk the system. But then there are others who legitimately cannot move up because they can only work part time due to family obligation, or due to other legitimate circumstances. It's really a tough call.

Upvote 0