Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When should we be silent, and when should we leave our comfort zones and say something? St. Gregory the Great has some wise and useful advice for us.

My preferred method of keeping the peace is silence. I’m horrified by public protests and confrontations. I resolutely refuse discussing controversial topics, and back away from black-or-white statements. I’ve convinced myself that I prefer nuance and subtlety, but really I’m just excusing my silence. Because what if someone doesn’t like what I say? What if someone thinks I’m unreasonable?

There is prudence in staying silent at times, but never speaking up about anything at all isn’t prudence — it’s fear.

There are plenty of injustices out there –- take your pick of any number of items currently in the news — and perhaps it’s time to make our voice heard on some of them. At a more personal level, it’s important from time to time that our friends, neighbors, and co-workers hear from us, even about small matter that are bothering us, something that doesn’t seem quite right, an issue that needs discussing. Hard conversations are a necessary part of life.

Seeking wisdom​

Continued below.