Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think that for the most part you have a good understanding of the text. However I would politely disagree with your point on verse 15. I don't think that Paul was responding to some erroneous belief on the part of the Roman Christians in OSAS. I believe that more than likely Paul is responding figuratively to a common objection that the Judiazers of his time brought to him. Paul spends a great deal of time explaining in the first five chapters the concept of justification through faith in Christ alone. He addresses the very same objection in Romans 3:5-8 right before he shows that all deserve condemnation and it is only through grace that any of us have any hope at all of salvation (Ro 3:21-28).

The crux of his argument is to show his objectors (or anyone who may object to justification through faith alone) that our righteousness is a result of salvation and not a means to it as is clearly seen in Romans 3:30-31.

Also - I think that in your zeal to crush OSAS you are misreading this passage which is meant to demonstrate to those already in the faith what it should result in - righteousness. He's not saying - "if you don't do these things you can't be saved" - he's saying: "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life." The real warning here is that if you don't bear fruit - you may not be saved. This passage (I believe) is meant to be a great encouragement to those who are saved and living in righteousness - to confirm their faith.

jamantc

Elected Predestinarian
Nov 18, 2013
✟7,927.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All passages are of great encouragement to the true believer, from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21. The is full of promise, hope, and the wonderful truth of how Christ loves His sheep and they love Him back! The scriptures are awesome!!! It is truly amazing to read all God has done for those who are His!

Upvote 0