Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe we are under the new covenant of grace ..

The new covenant made by Christ ...

It's a covenant of pure grace of god and not of individual works of the law... .

by faith in jesus of fulfilling the law for us , he made a way for us Gentiles to enter into the promises of god ...

Sin will not have dominion on believers... The law of sin and death will one day cease .. The power of sin (which is the law) will not judge us.. Because it has judge Christ for us.. He paid the penalty of sin and death .. Setting us free

And one day our bodies will change and we will never sin again against god ..

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Ohio
✟7,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the answer can be found using several preceding verses:

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law....)

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: 21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Seeing that the Law = Evidence of Sin, and Sin = Death
and further, that Christ triumphed over Sin AND Death! Now we are given the ability through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to do the same, sin has no dominion over us any longer.

Now from my personal perspective: If I am bound to obey a set of external controls (Law), I must concentrate constantly on those controls and worry constantly about staying in their bounds, otherwise punishment will ensue. Strict obedience is contrary to my human nature, my flesh. Punishment (ie God's wrath) is terrifying and engenders fear in me more than anything else. So I'll "obey, or else".

If I understand that a way has been made to satisfy God's wrath and that it involved freeing me forever from the fear of punishment and living obsessed by a set of external controls, my overwhelming reaction is gratitude, love and a deep heart desire to obey. Totally different motivation.

Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Dispy

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
South Dakota
✟4,680.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law....)

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: 21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

and further, that Christ triumphed over Sin AND Death! Now we are given the ability through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to do the same, sin has no dominion over us any longer.

Now from my personal perspective: If I am bound to obey a set of external controls (Law), I must concentrate constantly on those controls and worry constantly about staying in their bounds, otherwise punishment will ensue. Strict obedience is contrary to my human nature, my flesh. Punishment (ie God's wrath) is terrifying and engenders fear in me more than anything else. So I'll "obey, or else".

If I understand that a way has been made to satisfy God's wrath and that it involved freeing me forever from the fear of punishment and living obsessed by a set of external controls, my overwhelming reaction is gratitude, love and a deep heart desire to obey. Totally different motivation.

your answers from Romans are right on the mark.

Because I have placed my FAITH alone in the Cross work of Jesus ( 1 Cor. 15:1-4) for my salvation, I am now a saint that still sins, being I still have the "old sin nature" within me. However, I have now obtained a "new nature" that still fights with my old nature. (Paul had the same problem in Rom. 9:15-25). I will not lose this "old nature" until I die, or am raptured.

The natures within me constantly war against each other. Which one will win? With the help of the Holy Spirit, its the one I feed the most.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

from scratch

Exactly. I personally think that some find solace in the supposed fact they will cease to exist upon death. To me this really encourages party hearty (sin).

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was wondering how some on here understand Romans 6:14's "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

Grace and the law represents two covenants that a person can be under. The law was mediated by Moses and Grace was mediated by Jesus. The scriptures say;
Jhn 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

The requirement of the law for righteousness was a covenant given to only the Children of Israel. God commanded; keep all the commandments or die for breaking even the least commandment. The sabbath is the sign of that covenant. Those under the law, find their covenant commands in Ex, Number & Duet.
Deu 6:24
And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as we are this day.
Deu 6:25
And it will be righteousness for us, if we are careful to do all this commandment before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us.’

Here is what Paul and James teach about the law.
Rom 10:5
For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them.
Rom 10:6
But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down)

Gal 3:12
But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.”

Jam 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

The books of the bible from Joshua- Malachi show that the people had broken that covenant and God exiled and punished the Children of Israel. Jer 31 shows that God promised them a new covenant unlike the one given at Sinai. (The ten commandment)

(will comment on grace next post)

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Grace and the law represents two covenants that a person can be under. The law was mediated by Moses and Grace was mediated by Jesus. The scriptures say;
Jhn 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

By reading Paul's letter to the Ephesians from the first chapter you can get an understanding, that God grace is being extended to even to people living sin. Eph 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)
Dont get it twisted, God does not want us to continue living in sin. These scriptures show that God can meet us where we are.

So when Paul makes these statement in chapter 3....Eph 3:2
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3
How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4
Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Eph 3:5
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Eph 3:6
That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Those under the law avoid teaching what the apostles taught. Even though Christ commissioned His apostles to preach the gospel and then baptise those who has faith.

Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was wondering how some on here understand Romans 6:14's "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

Understanding is relevant to knowing what the word of God is about; it is about the word of God, the word is about the word.

Grace is the whole word of God essentially, the law is the revelation of sin and without the law you can't escape its dominion.

The dominion is lost when the whole word of God places you on the other side of the veil without the law and sets you in heavenly places without the works of the law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Understanding is relevant to knowing what the word of God is about; it is about the word of God, the word is about the word.

Grace is the whole word of God essentially, the law is the revelation of sin and without the law you can't escape its dominion.

The dominion is lost when the whole word of God places you on the other side of the veil without the law and sets you in heavenly places without the works of the law.

These scriptures clearly teach; that you dont have to be under the law to be under grace. Under grace there are thousands of commandments to that address sin.
Actually, by being under the law you'll be a condemn sinner.

Rom 6:12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.
Rom 6:13
Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.
Rom 6:14
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Upvote 0

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
These scriptures clearly teach; that you dont have to be under the law to be under grace. Under grace there are thousands of commandments to that address sin.
Actually, by being under the law you'll be a condemn sinner.

Rom 6:12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.
Rom 6:13
Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Roman 6 the first chapter I ever memorized.
If you would go back and read what I said you would see that the law is contained in the grace of God; it wasn't done away with but simply changed.
Grace couldn't be grace without the law.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Roman 6 the first chapter I ever memorized.
If you would go back and read what I said you would see that the law is contained in the grace of God; it wasn't done away with but simply changed.
Grace couldn't be grace without the law.
The sciptures explains that "you're not under the law but under grace"

Your comments undermind clear scriptures because you're under the law.

Upvote 0

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The sciptures explains that "you're not under the law but under grace"

Your comments undermind clear scriptures because you're under the law.

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

I think you are going off your denomination's doctrine than the bible.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Even Jesus said we was fulfilling the law, we he under the law.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

The biggest problems with denomination's doctrine is that they focus on several verses in the bible and diminish others, it always is the same old problem.

I might mind you to watch your accusation and who you are pointing your finger at; you seem to have more pointing back at you.

Upvote 0