Nebraska Man: What's Wrong with this Picture?

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟236,041.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
nebraska-man.jpg

This is a drawing of Hesperopithecus haroldcookii.

What's wrong with this picture?
Since Hesperopithecus turned out to be a species of peccary, shouldn't there be peccaries in the picture?

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟236,041.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I remember reading that certain scientists believe that our sky used to be orange in color before the flood and turned blue after the flood.
I don't think that this is physically possible. Rayleigh scattering (the scattering of light by molecules) is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wavelength of the light. Since the wavelength of blue light (440-500 nm) is less than that of orange or red light (580-760 nm), blue light must be scattered much more strongly than orange or red light, so the sky must be blue.

Who are the scientists who believe that the sky used to be orange, and where have they published their work?

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟374,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a drawing of Hesperopithecus haroldcookii.

What's wrong with this picture?
It was on the cover of an English magazine, drawn by some artist who was not familiar with the fossil or even the evidence we had of primitive humans at the time.

Today, it's used by creationists as a convenient straw man.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was on the cover of an English magazine, drawn by some artist who was not familiar with the fossil or even the evidence we had of primitive humans at the time.

Today, it's used by creationists as a convenient straw man.

Then who named it Hesperopithecus haroldcookii?

I don't buy into the idea that scientists knew better from the get-go.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟936,864.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Then who named it Hesperopithecus haroldcookii?

I don't buy into the idea that scientists knew better from the get-go.
They thought it was an ape and gave it an ape name... further study showed they'd made a mistake and they changed it. No fraud necessary, just an honest mistake.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They thought it was an ape and gave it an ape name... further study showed they'd made a mistake and they changed it. No fraud necessary, just an honest mistake.

I agree.

It was an honest mistake.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
100 years ago. You are digging pretty deep to come up with anything to substantiate your beliefs. People make mistakes. Evolutionists and Creationists. We are stuck in the Human condition and we look for ways to avoid making any errors in life.
But "evolutionists" admit and correct their mistakes. Creationists shrug it off and use it in front of the next audience, hoping tyhey are unaware of it.

• Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But "evolutionists" admit and correct their mistakes. Creationists shrug it off and use it in front of the next audience, hoping tyhey are unaware of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only five years passed between the discovery of this tooth, and its proper classification.

In that five years, many scientists were skeptical about what it actually was.

Yet, for all their skepticism, they gave it a scientific name, got an artist to draw it (see the OP), and apparently said nothing as its reputation grew and grew.

Now they want to sweep it under the carpet and make it look like anyone who brings it up is grabbing at straws to make science look bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only five years passed between the discovery of this tooth, and its proper classification.

In that five years, many scientists were skeptical about what it actually was.

Yet, for all their skepticism, they gave it a scientific name, got an artist to draw it (see the OP), and apparently said nothing as its reputation grew and grew.
I don't know if you are wrong or deliberately causing a confusion. Who are these "they"? Henry Osborne and his team or the scientific community at large. Because the way you write it, it seems that the entire scientific community embraced Hesperopithecus haroldcookii, which is a counterfactual representation of what happened.
Now they want to sweep it under the carpet and make it look like anyone who brings it up is grabbing at straws to make science look bad.
Phrased the way you did and the frequency with which you bring Nebraska Man to the table, that suspicion is justified indeed.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who are these "they"?

I have no idea.

I suppose they were zoologists, or whatever.

Joe? Sue? Bob?

It doesn't matter.

Who named the coyote Canis latrans?

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea.

I suppose they were zoologists, or whatever.

Joe? Sue? Bob?

It doesn't matter.

Who named the coyote Canis latrans?
imagine, you write something and you can't answer the question below about what you write yourself?

Who are these "they"? Henry Osborne and his team or the scientific community at large? Because the way you write it, it seems that the entire scientific community embraced Hesperopithecus haroldcookii, which is a counterfactual representation of what happened.
For the record, you wrote;
Yet, for all their skepticism, they gave it a scientific name,

Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because the way you write it, it seems that the entire scientific community embraced Hesperopithecus haroldcookii, which is a counterfactual representation of what happened.

Even though I wrote:

"In that five years, many scientists were skeptical about what it actually was."

Why do you read that as:

"It seems that the entire scientific community embraced Hesperopithecus haroldcookii"?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟936,864.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Even though I wrote:

"In that five years, many scientists were skeptical about what it actually was."

Why do you read that as:

"It seems that the entire scientific community embraced Hesperopithecus haroldcookii"?
Because that's how your sentence was structured. You treated "scientists" who were skeptical and those who named and supported promotion of a new hominid as the same group.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟362,947.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Because that's how your sentence was structured. You treated "scientists" who were skeptical and those who named and supported promotion of a new hominid as the same group.

He also does have a general history of generally being disparaging towards scientists in general anyway, so it's not a surprise that you'd note that.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Even though I wrote:

Why do you read that as:

Yet, for all their skepticism, they gave it a scientific name, got an artist to draw it (see the OP),
How are we to assume that the "their" and the "they" are referring to different sets of people - used in the same sentence even!
Since English is your first language I have to assume that you master it good enough for this to be done on purpose.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He also does have a general history of generally being disparaging towards scientists in general anyway, so it's not a surprise that you'd note that.
And he has the guts to write: Now they want to sweep it under the carpet and make it look like anyone who brings it up is grabbing at straws to make science look bad.
Yep, indeed. Coming from someone who wrote earlier:
  1. science can take a hike
  2. a five years old could look scientists straight in the face and tell them they are wrong
  3. bastardizes academia to acadelmia
  4. who made Pluto a derogatory verb
  5. uses repeatedly the phrase "myopic science".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
3. bastardizes academia to acadelmia

aceldama

4. who made Pluto a derogatory verb

Pluto is finally getting some respect — not from astronomers, but from wordsmiths.

"Plutoed" was chosen 2006's Word of the Year by the American Dialect Society at its annual meeting Friday.

To "pluto" is "to demote or devalue someone or something," much like what happened to the former planet last year when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto didn't meet its definition of a planet.

SOURCE

Upvote 0