Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A pro-life Catholic lawmaker in the Nebraska Legislature is switching his party registration from Democrat to Republican because of the Democratic Party’s staunch support of abortion.

Sen. Mike McDonnell, who had been a registered Democrat for 40 years before this week, said in a news conference that his party change was caused by the Democratic Party’s refusal to respect his pro-life views, which he said is grounded in his Catholic faith. He was first elected in 2016.

“Today, I am announcing I am now going to be a registered Republican in the state of Nebraska,” McDonnell said.

While serving in the Legislature, McDonnell was the lone Democrat to support a bill that would have banned nearly all abortions in the state — that bill did not pass. He was also the only Democrat to vote for a bill that prohibited doctors from providing transgender drugs and surgeries to minors, which ultimately passed and was signed into law.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A pro-life Catholic lawmaker in the Nebraska Legislature is switching his party registration from Democrat to Republican because of the Democratic Party’s staunch support of abortion.

Sen. Mike McDonnell, who had been a registered Democrat for 40 years before this week, said in a news conference that his party change was caused by the Democratic Party’s refusal to respect his pro-life views, which he said is grounded in his Catholic faith. He was first elected in 2016.

“Today, I am announcing I am now going to be a registered Republican in the state of Nebraska,” McDonnell said.

While serving in the Legislature, McDonnell was the lone Democrat to support a bill that would have banned nearly all abortions in the state — that bill did not pass. He was also the only Democrat to vote for a bill that prohibited doctors from providing transgender drugs and surgeries to minors, which ultimately passed and was signed into law.

Continued below.
There is no room in the Democratic Party for a pro-life person. I learned that 25 years ago in Minnesota. They censured this state senator for not taking a pro-death position. Even way out in the middle of flyoverland you can no longer be both pro-life and a Democrat. No longer a believing Catholic and a Democrat. How the Democrats have fallen.

The sad thing is that he had no other alternatives than Democrat or Republican. At least he had the courage of his conviction to dump the Democrats. Too many Catholic and pro-life politicians have dumped the pro-life cause and become CINO essentially apostate cynics. In comparison this guy is an absolute hero.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no room in the Democratic Party for a pro-life person. I learned that 25 years ago in Minnesota. They censured this state senator for not taking a pro-death position. Even way out in the middle of flyoverland you can no longer be both pro-life and a Democrat. No longer a believing Catholic and a Democrat. How the Democrats have fallen.

The sad thing is that he had no other alternatives than Democrat or Republican. At least he had the courage of his conviction to dump the Democrats. Too many Catholic and pro-life politicians have dumped the pro-life cause and become CINO essentially apostate cynics. In comparison this guy is an absolute hero.
Well, there is a Democratic splinter group known as the DFLA (Democrats For Life of America), which is pro-life, but still in support of other Democratic ideologies. DFLA is against abortion, against euthanasia, and against the death penalty. This DFLA seems to be the best organization run by the Democrats, and I wish that Biden was part of it, but he is not. :(

DFLA link: Mission - Democrats For Life of America

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, there is a Democratic splinter group known as the DFLA (Democrats For Life of America), which is pro-life, but still in support of other Democratic ideologies. DFLA is against abortion, against euthanasia, and against the death penalty. This DFLA seems to be the best organization run by the Democrats, and I wish that Biden was part of it, but he is not. :(

DFLA link: Mission - Democrats For Life of America
Yes. Hated by the Democratic Party. But they do exist.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Hated by the Democratic Party. But they do exist.
I am tempted to vote for someone pro-life (ideally who is part of the DFLA), well not during the 2024 election, but during a future election.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am tempted to vote for someone pro-life (ideally who is part of the DFLA), well not during the 2024 election, but during a future election.
I’m not sure they have any Senators or Representatives in office in Washington DC. Dan Lipinski was the last one I knew of but he was defeated by the D people who hated him. They might field some challengers here and there. It’s kind of impossible to win as a pro-life Democrat if the party actually hates you.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m not sure they have any Senators or Representatives in office in Washington DC. Dan Lipinski was the last one I knew of but he was defeated by the D people who hated him. They might field some challengers here and there. It’s kind of impossible to win as a pro-life Democrat if the party actually hates you.
It goes to show how divisive the two-party system. Democrats hate me for being pro-life (except in cases where both mother and baby are at risk) and, and some Republicans hate me for being green*. But hey, we are told to respect human life, and be stewards of the Earth in the Bible.

*Doesn't mean we should buy into Musk's Tesla empire though. We can have more walkable cities and better, potentially free public transport.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It goes to show how divisive the two-party system. Democrats hate me for being pro-life (except in cases where both mother and baby are at risk) and, and some Republicans hate me for being green*. But hey, we are told to respect human life, and be stewards of the Earth in the Bible.

*Doesn't mean we should buy into Musk's Tesla empire though. We can have more walkable cities and better, potentially free public transport.
I was an active Democrat once. But the party did everything it could to limit pro-life people from having any say at all in Minneapolis. That city sure has suffered from their politics. Anyhow, I joined up with the Republicans and they were FAR more tolerant than the Democrats ever were. I can’t say that was universally true but it was my experience. I left the Republicans when the Trump era started. Hoping for a more diverse political era where there are moderate options again. Sort of liking the American Solidarity Party and wishing they would actually launch.

I’m liking Tesla but each one uses way too much Lithium. It would be far more responsible to make ten hybrids instead of one electric car.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was an active Democrat once. But the party did everything it could to limit pro-life people from having any say at all in Minneapolis. That city sure has suffered from their politics. Anyhow, I joined up with the Republicans and they were FAR more tolerant than the Democrats ever were. I can’t say that was universally true but it was my experience. I left the Republicans when the Trump era started. Hoping for a more diverse political era where there are moderate options again. Sort of liking the American Solidarity Party and wishing they would actually launch.

I’m liking Tesla but each one uses way too much Lithium. It would be far more responsible to make ten hybrids instead of one electric car.
Amen brother, on all you said. For the Solidarity Party, it seems good, at least from the Wikipedia article on the party. There are more tolerant Republicans such as Chris Christie and Mitt Romney, but Trump squashed them with his greedy agenda (plus, Romney only ran for president in 2012). Hybrids are a much better option in 2024, until lithium-free battery tech exists at a fair market price. Also, please stay away from Tesla, as Musk wore a demonic costume in October 2022, plus his Neuralink stuff sounds like invasive technology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Amen brother, on all you said. For the Solidarity Party, it seems good, at least from the Wikipedia article on the party.
I really wish they could launch. Centrist. Pro-life. Good European Christian Democrat pedigree.
There are more tolerant Republicans such as Chris Christie and Mitt Romney, but Trump squashed them with his greedy agenda (plus, Romney only ran for president in 2012).
Christie? Oh please. Romney? Ditto. Rubio might make a decent candidate in four years, or even DeSantis. For this year it's Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, both of them we know, one of which will be president. Drat.
Hybrids are a much better option in 2024, until lithium-free battery tech exists at a fair market price. Also, please stay away from Tesla, as Musk wore a demonic costume in October 2022, plus his Neuralink stuff sounds like invasive technology.
Musk is no savior. But then do you use the Windows operating system on any computer?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really wish they could launch. Centrist. Pro-life. Good European Christian Democrat pedigree.

Christie? Oh please. Romney? Ditto. Rubio might make a decent candidate in four years, or even DeSantis. For this year it's Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, both of them we know, one of which will be president. Drat.

Musk is no savior. But then do you use the Windows operating system on any computer?
Centrist and pro-life are the best, and that is who I try to vote for. By the way, I do use Windows, but will switch to Linux in 2025 after Windows 10 gets depreciated. Windows is a Bill Gates operating system though. PayPal is a Musk software, and I have used that for donating to NGOs. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
By the way, I do use Windows, but will switch to Linux in 2025 after Windows 10 gets depreciated. Windows is a Bill Gates operating system though. :)
Linux user since Red Hat 9. That's way back. And occasional Debian user.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Linux user since Red Hat 9. That's way back. And occasional Debian user.
Nice. I will be switching to Linux Mint or Ubuntu in 2025, but am tied between the two. Linux is the best.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟153,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Was never a Democrat, but I'm old enough to remember when they were about the working class,the little guy, the poor, etc and I respected some of their issues on civil rights. I do care about the environment.
Plus, my maternal grandparents were devout evangelicals and also strong Democrats with no problem back 50-60 years ago.
Now the Democrats are all about identity politics and worse and have been moving too far left since the '70s. It's awful that they won't even accept a pro-life lawmaker. I'm really not happy with the current Republican party, either. The last decade the Republican party has been moving away seemingly from small government, personal accountability, strong moral values, etc. I won't go into detail here. I'm still a registered Republican because they still at least stand for Pro-life and traditional values.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Nice. I will be switching to Linux Mint or Ubuntu in 2025, but am tied between the two. Linux is the best.
Ubuntu does OK. So does Mint. Pick one and go with it.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟137,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ubuntu does OK. So does Mint. Pick one and go with it.
Thank you brother. I will do that. Just gonna hold off until 2025, as I will ask someone in IT at my work to help me dual boot into Windows 10 and Linux.

Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟17,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Happy to be a Nebraskan! A largely pro life state! :)
In Indiana it is becoming a same-sex marriage, pro-abortion, pro-transgender. That is why I a Reb they seem follow my value's and I would vote Dem if he/she followed them.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Was never a Democrat, but I'm old enough to remember when they were about the working class,the little guy, the poor, etc and I respected some of their issues on civil rights. I do care about the environment.
You could have been a Humphrey Democrat.. The kind I was. For the little guy, pro-labor, definitely for civil rights, pro-life, pro-family, moderate on national security, not crazy, not evil. But those guys are extinct now. Like the Dodo.
Plus, my maternal grandparents were devout evangelicals and also strong Democrats with no problem back 50-60 years ago.
Wasn't a problem being evangelical and Democrat or Catholic and Democrat. It was the norm. But now I don't think one can be a good evangelical and a Democrat or Catholic and a Democrat. Some still try to do that, but it seems those people are Democrats first and Christians only after that.
Now the Democrats are all about identity politics and worse and have been moving too far left since the '70s. It's awful that they won't even accept a pro-life lawmaker.
The Party of Death
I'm really not happy with the current Republican party, either. The last decade the Republican party has been moving away seemingly from small government, personal accountability, strong moral values, etc. I won't go into detail here. I'm still a registered Republican because they still at least stand for Pro-life and traditional values.
I had to declare a party affiliation when I moved to a new state. So now I'm officially an independent. I do like the American Solidarity Party but I'm wishing they would be a bit more on fire. It seems the perfect time for a center party that's running neither Biden nor Trump.

Upvote 0