Is everything "meaningless" without God?

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
to me everything is meaningless without God. her kisses are too sweet to ever want anything else. the more I find God the more I find myself and everything I ever wanted. this meaningless world has meaning because of God.
God is a man

8901562._SX540_.jpg

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God is a man

knowing God by a book is to not know him at all.

ohhhh you are an atheist mauhuahaaudhjksd

okay then, I will be a woman and God can be the man, I will do anything for him.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
to me everything is meaningless without God. her kisses are too sweet to ever want anything else.

the more I find God the more I find myself and everything I ever wanted. this meaningless world has meaning because of God.

I'm happy for you. I don't need God for meaning though.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even kill?

it would be an in the moment kind of thing but yes I would kill a guy shooting gay people. no problem. point the gun at his head and press the trigger, what could be easier than that? may I have the courage to kill whoever trys to kill his peoples.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
to me everything is meaningless without God. her kisses are too sweet to ever want anything else.

the more I find God the more I find myself and everything I ever wanted. this meaningless world has meaning because of God.

For you, thats cool.

Of course, it doesnt mean that the same applies to all.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
you will change your mind eventually. ;) ;)

Maybe you will.

However, it is already too late for me to change my mind on this particular issue. I know that my life has meaning without God.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For you, thats cool.

Of course, it doesnt mean that the same applies to all.

Maybe you will?

of course. love requires freedom and therefore it must always be that I can turn away. but I had firmly made up my mind which is why I had an idea called creature-existence and blindness.

all of your rewards will not go unpaid for you all pretend that it is better to not have God and I shall love him despite anything that happens. what a sacrifice you must make in order to bless me... nay, you bless God by being such! I will return the favor if I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Everything on earth is temporary, but this does not define it as meaningless.
What is meaningless is to be so earthly minded that you are no heavenly good and live this way most of your life.
If you can escape THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, then you have truly found God's will.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is meaningless is to be so earthly minded that you are no heavenly good and live this way most of your life.

What does "earthly minded" mean?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Assuming there is One true God who is the reason for all valuable meaning in life, then yes, it does matter who/what this God is.

That's certainly a meaningless statement........

"if X is true, then X is true"

Well.... yeah....

Assuming there is no true God that is the reason for all valuable meaning in life, then yes, we each ascribe meaning to our own lives, essentially making us mini "gods".

Why would that make us "mini gods"? That makes no sense. You are still assuming that only god(s) can give meaning to things, in order to make such a statement.

We are humans and we give meaning to things all the time. It adds nothing of value at all to add "...so we are mini gods". It's completely meaningless.

Atheists like to be their own personal mini "god" because they make the rules and change the rules as they please. This is obvious.

Again assuming that only god(s) can make up rules and meaning and purpose....

It's like you INSIST on having god(s) exist. Even if it turns out that no god(s) exist... then you're going to call humans "god(s)".

An atheist is free to do this, but in this worldview of defining your own meaning in life, you can't logically say something is meaningful apart from yourself because you require self to define meaning.

Why is that a problem?

IOW, from an atheists perspective, when they go out of existence, life has no meaning for anyone ever at any time because it was that atheist who personally ascribed all meaning to life.

When I die, then I'm dead and won't be doing any thinking anymore. So this seems rather obvious. Other people that are still alive will continue to ascribe meaning to things. Even to the life that I led, which would have ended at that point.

If he begins to say life can have meaning apart from himself, then he's ascribing to a meaning that he is not the cause of, who then is the cause of this meaning that is separate and not caused by the atheist? The most obvious answer is the One true God who gives life all meaning.

Are we now resorting to strawmen? Which atheist here has said that there is intrinsic meaning in things, outside of our own brains?

Why is this answer obvious? Because without a One true God who gives life all meaning, we all individually ascribe all meaning to life. The consequences of this is that the meaning I ascribe to life is more true than the meaning you ascribe to life,

Why? Because you declare it to be so?

but then again the meaning you ascribe to life is more true than the meaning I ascribe to life and thus in this worldview where we all ascribe our own meaning, we have an insurmountable contradiction.

That contradiction only seems to exist in your head....
See above. It's related to you insistence on having only gods capable of ascribing meaning to things, even when no gods exist.

You mentioned a problem...I think I found it rooted in the atheistic worldview that says we all ascribe our own personal meaning to life.

You haven't exposed that problem.
Instead, you only exposed your bubble of dogmatic a priori beliefs that you are unwilling to step out of. Even when those beliefs turn out to be wrong.

On top of that, the "problem" you claim exists, seems rooted in a strawman as well.

So, yeah.... not impressed at all.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟250,565.00
Faith
Atheist
Why would that make us "mini gods"? That makes no sense. You are still assuming that only god(s) can give meaning to things, in order to make such a statement.

We are humans and we give meaning to things all the time. It adds nothing of value at all to add "...so we are mini gods". It's completely meaningless.

Again assuming that only god(s) can make up rules and meaning and purpose....

It's like you INSIST on having god(s) exist. Even if it turns out that no god(s) exist... then you're going to call humans "god(s)".
For most theists, especially the Abrahamic theists and the Christians amongst those, "God" is first and foremost "the authority". God is the sovereign ruler, the judge, the law giver... even as a creator he commands his creation into existence.

Authority is something that you submit to... "Islam" is the best example for this theistic view, meaning "submission". Authority is also seem as the highest principle in these systems. Something is good, right, moral, existing, forbidden... because authority declares it to be. Authority is the base, the sole reason for everything. And the highest, even the only "real" authority is "God".

Thus when this one authority is rejected, for the theist this must mean that some other authority takes over. These new authorities take the place of "God"... they "make themselves gods".

This is also the background behind this "your meaning must be more true than my meaning" so-called-contradiction: authority doesn't work on equal levels. Authority only works in vertical hierarchies. There is no space for non-conflicting "authorities" within such a theistic system.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your brain.

If the true source of meaning comes from my brain, then that means the true source of meaning also comes from your brain and all the sudden we have a contradiction. Which brain is the true source of meaning? Mine or yours? Can't be both.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,562.00
Faith
Atheist
If the true source of meaning comes from my brain, then that means the true source of meaning also comes from your brain and all the sudden we have a contradiction. Which brain is the true source of meaning? Mine or yours? Can't be both.
You're still looking for ultimate meaning. There is none. There is only meaning to the individual, the subject. Why should anyone expect meaning to be the same for all subjects?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're still looking for ultimate meaning. There is none. There is only meaning to the individual, the subject. Why should anyone expect meaning to be the same for all subjects?

You say there is no ultimate meaning as if you know that to be fact. How do you know that to be fact?

Is it a fact? Or are you just claiming it's a fact because that's what you believe to be true?

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You say there is no ultimate meaning as if you know that to be fact. How do you know that to be fact?

Is it a fact? Or are you just claiming it's a fact because that's what you believe to be true?

Assume God exists and says human meaning is "x".

What does that mean?

Upvote 0