Farmington
✟30,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Blessed Mothers Day to all Moms out there.

I'm going to borrow parts of my Pastors sermon today, and some of my own notes mixed:

Romans 16:13,
"Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine."

Paul was not saying this was his biological mother, but that she was like a mother to him. I've had a few of those. One was a Methodist pastor, and while we may have disagreed on some stuff, she was like a mother to me, and also was exactly the same age as my mother, and she outlived her also.

Proverbs 31:1-5,
"The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?

Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted."

Now, Pastor teaches Lemuel is Solomon and I'm ok with that. I know some speculate he may be someone else. But this would indicate the mother here as Bathsheba. We see several things here:

1) That a mother is to teach her child as Proverbs 1:8, "My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother..." What "law?" Is this referring to rules of the house and chores? No. It's referring to a mother who knows the scriptures and has a relationship with God that she can pass on to her children.

2) Verse 3 may well come from Bathsheba's testimony, from when King David called her, and she obliged him, and David succumbed to her beauty which resulted in adultery, deception, murder, lies, and the death of her first child. She has firsthand experience of the negative aspects of this sort, and is warning her son.

3) That this is prophecy because she taught Lemuel / Solomon these things growing up, and indeed Solomon did go after strange wives and committed sin by "outlandish women" according to Nehemiah 13:26

4) That it destroyeth kings: David had many calamities follow in his life and amongst his family because of his sin. Prophetically, despite his Mom teaching him this isdom, Solomon still "gave his strength unto women" 1 Kings 11:4- 8, "For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the Lord, as did David his father. Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods."

5) She admonishes him not to drink wine or strong drink, as it can pervert his judgment. Ecclesiastes 2:3 shows, "I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life." He also writes, "And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit." (Ecclesiastes 1:17)

We also can see how mothers and grandmothers played an integral part in Timothy's upbringing, '

2 Timothy 1:5, "When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also."
2 Timothy 3:15, "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

And of course Mary, whom Jesus made sure as he was dying, as the man of the house, to make sure his Mother was taken care of,
John 19:26-27,
"When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home."

Acts 1:12-14,
"Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren."

The women and Jesus' mother were together with the disciples, and a part of the first church.

Finally Titus 2:1-6,
"But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded."

And we must earnestly contend for the faith once delivered unto the saints, because in society there are powers of darkness that are trying to destroy the role of both men and women. Pastor said he randomly asked Google, "Can a man become pregnant?" and got this answer, which is exactly what I got at the top of the page:
"Gender does not determine who can become pregnant. People who identify as men can, and do, become pregnant and give birth, if they possess a uterus and ovaries."

"IF they possess a uterus and ovaries...." Duh :doh:Wow, just wow.

So I looked up "What is a woman? " and got this from Stanford Medical Educational Technology: "A term used to describe someone who self-identifies as a woman or as feminine based on what is important to them as an individual—including gender roles, behavior, expression, identity, and/or physiology."

At least someone still had the sense to write, "What is a woman? “Female” is a reference to biology—a person who has XX chromosomes and reproductive organs that make bearing children possible." :clap:

So a mother is a girl, a female, a woman, who is biologically born such and who takes on the role of mother as was originally intended from creation when God said "be fruitful and multiply." And it is a hard role, and why the older women are admonished to teach the younger, and for people to honor both father and mother that they may live long. Amen.

Last edited: