Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If the law is of the ten commandments and the sabbath is part of the 10 commandments, then how come they are considered different?
Good question.
I have no view on it right now, so will just lurk here for awhile.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

What they are asking is why are 9 of 10 commands still upheld when we say the law is done away with why we dont keep the Sabbath but will never say its okay to break the other 9 commands.

Sounds like yet another Sabbath debate worded a tad different.
In that case I'd the difference is the covenants.

I think they don't understand the law didn't create sin. Rom 5:13 and Gal 3:19.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If the law is of the ten commandments and the sabbath is part of the 10 commandments, then how come they are considered different?
The bible says that the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant. The covenant is the law. There is nothing moral about keeping the Sabbath. Repeating that Sabbath is moral does not make it so. Yes, 9 of10 commandments are reinforced and Christ fulfills the 4th commandment by giving rest to those who come to Him.

Jesus said; Moses commanded circumcision on the Sabbath because circumcision was passed down from the fathers. Bible facts are contradicted by those who claim Sabbath was instituted at creation. If they cant stick to creation's story about God resting on the seventh day, why trust them with what the scriptures does not say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In that case I'd the difference is the covenants.

I think they don't understand the law didn't create sin. Rom 5:13 and Gal 3:19.

The Law didn't create the seventh day nor did it bless it and make it holy.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says that the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant. The covenant is the law. There is nothing moral about keeping the Sabbath. Repeating that Sabbath is moral does not make it so. Yes, 9 of10 commandments are reinforced and Christ fulfills the 4th commandment by giving rest to those who come to Him.

Jesus said; Moses commanded circumcision on the Sabbath because circumcision was passed down from the fathers. Bible facts are contradicted by those who claim Sabbath was instituted at creation. If they cant stick to creation's story about God resting on the seventh day, why trust what the scriptures does not say.

The seventh day is used for many things such as the sign of the Old Covenant but it's also used to identify God's people from the rest of the world, both the religious and secular.

Exodus 31:13 to tell the people of Israel, “Keep the Sabbath, my day of rest, because it is a sign between you and me for all time to come, to show that I, the Lord, have made you my own people.

Identifying and defining a people that God can call His own is foundational to the New Covenant.

Hebrews 8:10 For this is the new covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

The devil can and does have his people with the last six commandments but he can't with the first four.

1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

This can't happen without God's Law. Listen.

Exodus 19:6 "you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

The very next words that God gave them was the Ten Commandments. If they/we obeyed them it will identify them/us as His people.

Exodus 12:49 "One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you.”

Leviticus 24:22 "The same law applies whether he is an outsider or an Israelite. I am the Lord your God.’”

Whether Jew or Gentile we all love the Lord by obeying Him, that includes honoring the seventh day.

Isaiah 56:6-8 As for the Gentiles, the outsiders who join the people of the Lord and serve him and love his name, who are his servants and don’t desecrate the Sabbath, and have accepted his covenant and promises, I will bring them also to my holy mountain of Jerusalem and make them full of joy within my House of Prayer. I will accept their sacrifices and offerings, for my Temple shall be called “A House of Prayer for All People”! For the Lord God who brings back the outcasts of Israel says: I will bring others, too, besides my people Israel.

Let us join with the people of the LORD, through the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and serve Him and love His name.

Ephesians 2:11-13 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Do away with the Ten Commandments and you do away with that which defines God's people. This is Satan's number one tactic.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Special emphasis is placed on the Sabbath because it is the only one not generally manifest in the life of most Christians and mainly a certain group teaches one must observe the law to have salvation.

"It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord" {6T 356.4}

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The Law didn't create the seventh day nor did it bless it and make it holy.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Read what is there and not what you want. The word rested is shabath and means to cease as in cease and desist do not do any more. The word shabath is a verb. The word for Sabbath is shabbath is a noun which indicates a periodic period of time.

Reactions: SAAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Special emphasis is placed on the Sabbath because it is the only one not generally manifest in the life of most Christians and mainly a certain group teaches one must observe the law to have salvation.

"It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord" {6T 356.4}

Who cares what EGW says? Why do you insist on using all the wrong views some people have of the seventh day to justify doing away with it? You can find wrong views on everything that God has said but that does not mean you can do away with everything that God has said.

Forget what people say and draw your beliefs from what God says.

People say the Ten Commandments were only for Israel. What does God say?

People say the seventh day is special to the Jews only. What does God say?

People say the Ten Commandments are done away with. What does God say?

People say obeying the Ten Commandments is what saves us. What does God say?

Upvote 0

14messenger

Jan 1, 2007
✟1,761.00
Faith
Christian
There is nothing moral about keeping the Sabbath.

So it is moral to keep the sabbath? Since the sabbath is a blessing from God saying, rest and think of good things?

Maybe keeping all the man made rules added to it are not moral. It says that doing good on the sabbath is good, that just says that serving evil isn't good. How can that be bad to rest a day and think of God? It can't be bad.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it is moral to keep the sabbath? Since the sabbath is a blessing from God saying, rest and think of good things?

Maybe keeping all the man made rules added to it are not moral. It says that doing good on the sabbath is good, that just says that serving evil isn't good. How can that be bad to rest a day and think of God? It can't be bad.

Hi 14messenger, The problem that most people have today is that they fail to understand that morality is defined by God, not man.

mo·ral·i·ty
məˈralətē,mô-/
noun
noun: morality
1. principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

If God says honoring the seventh day is right and good than that makes it a moral issue.

The big delusion today is that people use love to define morality and not God's Law. God's Law defines love but love does not define God's Law.

Reactions: 14messenger
Upvote 0

14messenger

Jan 1, 2007
✟1,761.00
Faith
Christian
Hi 14messenger, The problem that most people have today is that they fail to understand that morality is defined by God, not man.

mo·ral·i·ty
məˈralətē,mô-/
noun
noun: morality
1. principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

If God says honoring the seventh day is right and good than that makes it a moral issue.

The big delusion today is that people use love to define morality and not God's Law. God's Law defines love but love does not define God's Law.

The law of God is love. It is like a paddle for those that wish to harm others and themselves.

Paul never spoke against God, unless he was in error. Paul spoke against the law that man interpreted it as.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The law of God is love. It is like a paddle for those that wish to harm others and themselves.

Paul never spoke against God, unless he was in error. Paul spoke against the law that man interpreted it as.

I think you're missing my point. God's Law defines love but love does not define God's Law. There is a love of the world that is not of the Father. This love does not define God's Law, as a matter of fact, it violates God's Law. This is why love, in of itself, cannot define God's Law. We have to be careful to use God's Law to define love and not use love to define God's Law. A lot of things are being done under the banner of love that are totally against God's definition of love.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The seventh day is used for many things such as the sign of the Old Covenant but it's also used to identify God's people from the rest of the world, both the religious and secular.

Exodus 31:13 to tell the people of Israel, “Keep the Sabbath, my day of rest, because it is a sign between you and me for all time to come, to show that I, the Lord, have made you my own people.
Note this is Israel only.
Identifying and defining a people that God can call His own is foundational to the New Covenant.
Hebrews 8:10 For this is the new covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

I think you believe it is only for Israel or those you think become Israel such as Christians by adoption. The Bible doesn't support this in any way. There is no Jew nor Greek (Gentile) in Christ Jesus Therefore there is no Israel in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:28. Read Acts. Not one single one of the Gentile converts were required to observe the law or be circumcised.
The devil can and does have his people with the last six commandments but he can't with the first four.
IOW the Christian is obligated to the first 4 in order to have salvation which includes keeping the 7th day Sabbath. You said the Sabbath by saying the first four. You can no longer say this at CF in the theology section per Edial.
1 Peter 2:9-10 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

This can't happen without God's Law. Listen.
Hogwash!! Read Acts.
Exodus 19:6 "you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nationThese are the words you are to speak to the Israelites
Note this isn't Christians. Its the nation of Israel only.
The very next words that God gave them was the Ten Commandments. If they/we obeyed them it will identify them/us as His people.

Exodus 12:49 "One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you.”

The blue qualifies those required. I don't live among the Jews in their nation, homes, area or their synagogues.
Leviticus 24:22 "The same law applies whether he is an outsider or an Israelite. I am the Lord your God.’”
But only when they're among the Israelites as you quoted above.
Whether Jew or Gentile we all love the Lord by obeying Him, that includes honoring the seventh day.
This isn't allowed here per Edial. You're clearly saying those who don't keep the Sabbath don't love God also read aren't among the redeemed (Christians).

Isaiah 56:6-8 As for the Gentiles, the outsiders who join the people of the Lord and serve him and love his name, who are his servants and don’t desecrate the Sabbath, and have accepted his covenant and promises, I will bring them also to my holy mountain of Jerusalem and make them full of joy within my House of Prayer. I will accept their sacrifices and offerings, for my Temple shall be called “A House of Prayer for All People”! For the Lord God who brings back the outcasts of Israel says: I will bring others, too, besides my people Israel.
How does one join themselves to the Lord under the covenant spoken of in your Bible quote? Ex 12:48. And its the only way into that covenant. That covenant is only enforceable on non Jews when within the gates of said.
Let us join with the people of the LORD, through the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and serve Him and love His name.
No one joins the covenant made at Sinai through the shed blood of Jesus.
Ephesians 2:11-13 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
The passage says absolutely nothing about becoming part of the commonwealth of Israel.
Do away with the Ten Commandments and you do away with that which defines God's people. This is Satan's number one tactic.
Are you saying that God is satan? God said He did away with the Old Covenant based on law and issued a new one based on promises. Jesus testified to this fact as being current. What is it about not according to .... you don't understand?
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
You contend this means the law. There is no context for such a meaning. The commandments (requirements of God) have been changed - John 15:10; 1 John 3:23.
1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Care to put that verse in context? Why would Paul be contradicting John? If that were so who is telling the truth? Paul is called the false prophet and teacher, not John. Your argument fails.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Who cares what EGW says? Why do you insist on using all the wrong views some people have of the seventh day to justify doing away with it? You can find wrong views on everything that God has said but that does not mean you can do away with everything that God has said.
I don't dispense with anything God said. I did however show with my quote where obligation to keep the Sabbath comes from and why. It isn't the Bible.
Forget what people say and draw your beliefs from what God says.
That I do.

People say the Ten Commandments were only for Israel. What does God say?
What does Deut 5:3 say? What does Ex 31:13 say?
People say the seventh day is special to the Jews only. What does God say?
I refer you to my above comments.
People say the Ten Commandments are done away with. What does God say?
I refer you to Hosea 2:11 in addition to Jeremiah 31"31-33 specifically the phrase " Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake" of v 32. Plus check out Heb 8:6-13.
People say obeying the Ten Commandments is what saves us. What does God say?
Jesus says no several times in the Gospel of John.

Upvote 0