Does the law set us free?

F

from scratch

Keep at it... maybe one day they will actually read what we are saying and understand it does mean something instead of using it like the Bell that Pavlov's Dog was trained to act upon.
I don't think they're reading anything we say. Their church demands that of them. The supporting quote is floating around here in several posts.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think they're reading anything we say. Their church demands that of them. The supporting quote is floating around here in several posts.
I would have to agree with this myself as they keep posting the same stuff in response to a variety of stuff we post sometimes it is almost completely unrelated too.

Upvote 0

VictorC

Jesus - that's my final answer
Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Even when you translate a perfectly fine post into their own vernacular syntax, they demonstrate that they still can't understand a word you say.

Upvote 0

14messenger

Jan 1, 2007
✟1,761.00
Faith
Christian
If you continue to confuse, ignore or fail to understand why the bible teach that you're free from the law. You will continue to reject what Christ has done and continue striving to keep the law.

Your suggesting that Christ died to give sinners a free pass to sin freely? I dont buy it.

Upvote 0

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Besides the personal attacks against people, name one commandment, of the ten, that your against.

If you can translate into the Adventist vernacular, your services could be useful.
However, having said that, I don't think you can.

You haven't specified "the ten", and of course this is an allusion to the covenant from Mount Sinai. It is a proper noun that Moses named it. A common mistake made by those who reverse the relationship of the Law keeping the recipients until the time appointed by God, is the extension of the recipients being against the individual commandments of the old covenant. This is a straw man. Don't reverse the relationship, nor the disposition made by God (not us): "He has ... wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us" (Colossians 2). The capitalization of 'He' denotes divinity.

Upvote 0

14messenger

Jan 1, 2007
✟1,761.00
Faith
Christian
If you can translate into the Adventist vernacular, your services could be useful.
However, having said that, I don't think you can.

You haven't specified "the ten", and of course this is an allusion to the covenant from Mount Sinai. It is a proper noun that Moses named it. A common mistake made by those who reverse the relationship of the Law keeping the recipients until the time appointed by God, is the extension of the recipients being against the individual commandments of the old covenant. This is a straw man. Don't reverse the relationship, nor the disposition made by God (not us): "He has ... wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us" (Colossians 2). The capitalization of 'He' denotes divinity.

Avoiding answering the thread topic isn't going to help.

Upvote 0

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Avoiding answering the thread topic isn't going to help.

Sorry. I never did respond to the OP, having observed it to be based on absurdity. However, that isn't what you asked me, is it? What would be the appropriate response to absurdity and straw man arguments?

Sometimes the finest clarity comes from the horse's mouth. I was content to let the OP stand on its own 'merit'.

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Romans 6

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

Keep at it... maybe one day they will actually read ...

I can agree with that much.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Besides the personal attacks against people, name one commandment, of the ten, that your against.

interesting question - do you suppose you will get an answer?

For example what if you asked someone associated with one of these Sunday-Sources?

The "Baptist Confession of Faith"
The "Westminster Confession of Faith"
The Catholic Catechism
D.L. Moody
R.C Sproul
Andy Stanley
Thomas Watson

What do they say?

"Besides this law (The TEN Commandments), commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Until you actually read the New Covenant in Jer 31:31-33 and in Heb 8.

No wonder then so many Sunday Sources get the point of the continued TEN commandments -- applicable to the saints in Eden - and still applicable to the saints under the NEW Covenent - the "moral law" of God - the TEN Commandments. At least according to these Sunday Sources --

The Catholic Catechism
D.L. Moody
R.C Sproul
Andy Stanley
Thomas Watson

Because as Paul says "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 when contrasting the ceremonial law about circumcision to the moral law - the TEN Commandments -- where as Paul tells us in Eph 6:1-2 the Fifth Commandment "is the FIRST Commandment WITH a promise".

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

For example what if you asked someone associated with one of these Sunday-Sources?

The Catholic Catechism
D.L. Moody
R.C Sproul
Andy Stanley
Thomas Watson

What do they say?

"Besides this law (The TEN Commandments), commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

in Christ,

Bob
This spam has already been answered by bugkiller, who I've quoted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

14messenger

Jan 1, 2007
✟1,761.00
Faith
Christian
The 10 commandments aren't for Christians to be for or against they simply do not apply to us.

Who needs Jesus?

Unless youre against killing, stealing and destroying, please don't post on my thread. Hatred isn't welcome here, incase your still pretending to "rule" the roosts.
If your promoting killing and stealing, please find another thread, this isn't the one for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Unless youre against killing, stealing and destroying, please don't post on my thread. Hatred isn't welcome here, incase your still pretending to "rule" the roosts.
If your promoting killing and stealing, please find another thread, this isn't the one for you.
Hatred? Really? Yeah I hate sin just as much or more than the next person. I fail to see what that has to do with the law if one follows the leading of the Spirit. The Spirit won't lead on to sin and doesn't lead one to the law God delivered us from.

What makes you think I'm pro murder, stealing and destruction?

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Even when you translate a perfectly fine post into their own vernacular syntax, they demonstrate that they still can't understand a word you say.
To much soy beans. Soy milk, butter (maybe veggie grease), soy ice cream, soy hot dogs. Hey if you're gonna lust after and eat a hot dog have a real one. The list goes on and on. A neighbor said yeah we can have phony this and that (a list was given). Why don't they understand they're lying to themselves?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Besides the personal attacks against people, name one commandment, of the ten, that you're against.

The Catholic Catechism
D.L. Moody
R.C Sproul
Andy Stanley
Thomas Watson

What do they say?

=================================

As for this thread and the title - where are we set free? And from What? According to Romans 6??

Romans 6

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

As Paul says "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 when contrasting the ceremonial law about circumcision to the moral law - the TEN Commandments -- where as Paul tells us in Eph 6:1-2 the Fifth Commandment "is the FIRST Commandment WITH a promise".

Yeah right. Who needs Jesus?;) We've got the law we can keep. ^_^:D^_^;)

It is unclear that your solution is compelling. Needs some work if that is all you have for ignoring the Bible details listed.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The 10 commandments aren't for Christians to be for or against they simply do not apply to us.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

As for that list of well-known Sunday Promoting sources that condemn the "Ten Commandments are dead" idea - hmmm what list would that be??

The Catholic Catechism
D.L. Moody
R.C Sproul
Andy Stanley
Thomas Watson

What do they say?

This spam has already been answered by bugkiller, who I've quoted.

And then you "quote nothing" and you "link to nothing" in this empty claims about BugKiller addressing the Baptist Confession of Faith. Why keep doing that as if someone is actually snookered by it? Who do you suppose goes for it?? me??? If you have an actual point in that regard - feel free to actually post it.

Otherwise it appears that you simply could not find the support you hoped for.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0