Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
We are working on getting those as well, but those will cost money to license.

Awesome! I'd not thought about the licensing costs.

The latest version out that is being supported by the United Methodists, Disciples of Christ, Evangelical Lutherans, the Episcopal Church and the Presbyterian Church is the Common English Bible (CEB). It is a solid translation. I don't know what licensing costs. But we are moving more and more away from the NRSV because of the licensing fees we have to pay. But since we own a piece of the CEB it is cheaper for us to use as well as a good translation.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am loving the Bible tab and especially like the 'verse of the day' at the page top :oldthumbsup:
It is wonderful to have these at our 'fingertips' and to see the Gospel posted on every page.
With them more visible, we will be more inclined to pray/quote the Scriptures as we post :angel:

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
Nice idea! But since I usually use NRSV, NIV, or something more modern, I'll probably not use the feature much.
Why are modern Bible translations copyrighted?

Many modern Bible translations are copyrighted, and thus place restrictions on the extent to which you can quote or reprint passages from them. Publishers retain rights to their translations because producing a Bible translation is an enormously extensive (and expensive) project. A single translation can represent years of work by hundreds of scholars, theologians, and editors, all of whom need to be reimbursed for their work. By retaining their copyright to the translation and asking you to respect that copyright, publishers are able to pay their translators and ensure continued translation work.

This means that downloading or distributing the entire text of a copyrighted Bible translation is not permitted. Fortunately, most publishers do allow you to quote passages from their translations within a reasonable limit. You can find general copyright information at the bottom of all the passage pages. For specific information on individual versions, please contact the publisher directly.

If you are looking for a Bible without any copyright restrictions at all, you do have several options. Some older Bible translations are in the public domain and may be freely reprinted, quoted, and copied without any restrictions at all; the King James Version is the most well-known of these. And if you have the skills and dedication, there is nothing stopping you from creating your own Bible translation--there are online projects dedicated to doing just that!

To sum up, Bible versions are copyrighted to make sure that translators are fairly reimbursed for their hard work. Most copyrighted Bible versions have relatively lenient quoting rules that should cover most common situations. But if for whatever reason the copyright rules prevent you from using the Bible as you like, you're free to use a non-copyrighted Bible version.

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
Why is the KJV including the apocrypha? Most people who use it don't even bother to use that part and many considering it unbiblical to include. Plus it i easier to just type kjv.

Why doesn't the Catholic Church recognize the King James version of the Bible?

, the KJV follows the Protestant pattern of NOT including the Deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament that are recognized by Catholics: Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1 & 2 Maccabees (as well as portions of the Books of Esther and Daniel). As such, readings from these books appear in the Catholic Lectionary at various times of the liturgical year. Likewise, these books contain references to concepts that are familiar to Catholics but rejected by Protestants such as prayer for the dead and intercessions of saints and angels. The bottom line is, it is beneficial for Catholics to use a Catholic Bible, such as the Catholic Study Bible of the New American Bible.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,238,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I will second that 'KJV apocrypha' is not a correct rendering. It should be just kjv or 1611 kjv. It should be easier for people to code in this copyright free translation into their posts. For the time being I will just stick with Bible Gateway.

Upvote 0

dh777

Chamuel016
Nov 16, 2006
Southern China
Visit site
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we shan't restrict the copy of bible translations. bibles shall be open for study. n those capable shall pay offerings to churhes n translators. i used to pay for urgent appeals about personnel life events. all up to our abilites n wills. just willing is enough. fund rasing from the congergtion shall not be a problem to church, and sufficience of fund is already enough unless budget generated from a job assigned by Him. priesthood is a profession that requires a lotta luv n dedication life long. shall be willing to get grabbed by Him ,watever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟404,662.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't get Acts to link. I type in Acts and Act but it does not link to the verse in my post.
I think you'll have to use "Acts of the Apostles" vs Acts

TEST:
[VERSE=Acts of the apostles 1:1,ASV]The former treatise I made, O Theophilus, concerning all that Jesus began both to do and to teach,[/VERSE]

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you'll have to use "Acts of the Apostles" vs Acts

TEST:
[VERSE=Acts of the apostles 1:1,ASV]The former treatise I made, O Theophilus, concerning all that Jesus began both to do and to teach,[/VERSE]

I thought of that but didn't try it. TY.

Upvote 0