Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Which scenario would you rather go with?

Some institute that says we got it, but can't tell us how?

Or the Bible, which testifies of God's powerful ability to call it into existence, purer than the air in Lapland?
The institute's version sounds more likely to me. But I consider the Earth to likely be billions of years old. If God created everything, then He took the slow path, and arranged for things to happen in their good time.

In your version of creation, God created everything in only six days, so the atmosphere would need to be provided pretty quickly. But he made it mature, so it looked like it had developed over several billion years. Which means that, for all intents and purposes, it might as well be the same as the institute's version.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
???

I don't have a problem.

Other than asking what I thought was well-educated people a question so simple my cat could answer it.
That you cannot understand Genesis 1 correctly/fully without John 1 is one thing I said above, but not all.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In your version of creation, God created everything in only six days, so the atmosphere would need to be provided pretty quickly. But he made it mature, so it looked like it had developed over several billion years. Which means that, for all intents and purposes, it might as well be the same as the institute's version.

You realize that oxygen is a very corrosive gas, don't you?

But prior to the Fall, there was no corrosion.

The air we breathe today was nothing like the air in Adam's time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to go with the science perspective because it's based on something way closer to reality than is the Biblical perspective of creation.

You mean because science is based on death, decay, muck, and mire?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟761,100.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
You mean because science is based on death, decay, muck, and mire?
During those first years of the formation of the atmosphere, as indicated in your OP, volcanic gases played an important part in all of that. This was long before life rose on this planet. I can visualize where eventually muck and mire was part of the evolutionary process of the earth, maybe even were life first rose. But to the OP, there is no way that I'm able to accept the Creation story of an ancient middle-eastern tribe.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
You realize that oxygen is a very corrosive gas, don't you?
Pretty much by definition.
But prior to the Fall, there was no corrosion.
Why? I have never heard this from any other Christian ever. Of course, given a literal 6-day creation, that wouldn't really be an issue anyway. The Fall wouldn't be very long after creation.
The air we breathe today was nothing like the air in Adam's time.
Why? I have never heard this from any other Christian ever. What do you think were the constituent gases? And please don't say it was pure oxygen, because the land surface of the Earth would have burned up within a few days after the Fall.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't know that. You were not there.

I wasn't at the empty tomb either.

But guess what?

Jesus rose!

Matthew 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Mark 16:6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

Luke 24:6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why? I have never heard this from any other Christian ever.

Ask any other Christian ever if there was death, decay, corrosion, rust, decomposition, cuts, bruises, tooth decay, or the like before the Fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Ask any other Christian ever if there was death, decay, corrosion, rust, decomposition, cuts, bruises, tooth decay, or the like before the Fall.
Well, I knew about the death and biological decay stuff. But corrosion is just a normal chemical process. Oxygen combining with things is kind of important for biologic processes too.

Don't really know where to ask around the forums. It's a bit too much of a religious thing for the science area, and the apologetics area got shut down.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I knew about the death and biological decay stuff. But corrosion is just a normal chemical process. Oxygen combining with things is kind of important for biologic processes too.

Don't really know where to ask around the forums. It's a bit too much of a religious thing for the science area, and the apologetics area got shut down.

Looks like you're SOL.

(Short On Luck)

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Looks like you're SOL.

(Short On Luck)
Well, I looked around the Theistic Evolution area a little. Apparently, a common answer from old Earth Christians is that the Fall led to spiritual death, and that physical death was around as long as biologic organisms (a few billion years). Corrosion would also be present, although I still don't see why it wouldn't be in any case. For young Earthers, the point is really moot, since there's such little time between creation and the Fall.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I looked around the Theistic Evolution area a little. Apparently, a common answer from old Earth Christians is that the Fall led to spiritual death, and that physical death was around as long as biologic organisms (a few billion years). Corrosion would also be present, although I still don't see why it wouldn't be in any case. For young Earthers, the point is really moot, since there's such little time between creation and the Fall.

Here's the definitive passage, which will be difficult for atheists to understand:

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

The "creature" mentioned above is all of God's creation.

Let me paraphrase for clarity:

Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of [God's creation] waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For [God's creation] was made subject to [entropy], not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because [God's creation] itself also shall be delivered from [entropy] into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain [due to entropy] together until now.

And now you see why I say we should never stray outside of Genesis 1 & 2, because people will bring up the Fall, the Flood, the Resurrection, and anything and everything but the events of the Creation Week.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟248,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Here's the definitive passage, which will be difficult for atheists to understand:
Well, I understand it fine. The issue appears to be that you consider corrosion to be a form of decay caused by the Fall. This certainly isn't a universal Christian outlook, and I don't consider it justifed myself. Corrosion can certainly be inconvenient to us these days, since we like to use metal so much, but it's just a normal chemical process, and it can be useful to produce a number of compounds.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, I think there was death, decay, corrosion, rust, decomposition, cuts, bruises, tooth decay and the like....... before "the Fall," whatever the Fall really was, whether historically speaking OR merely theologically speaking via an ancient Israelite/Mosaic narrative.

IOW, I think it is OBVIOUS that death and mortality is implied as being present before Adam and Even arrived on the scene in the Edenic narrative. I've always wondered why other Christians today all too often don't see what looks to me, via hermeneutical analysis, to be this implication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

The "creature" mentioned above is all of God's creation.

Let me paraphrase for clarity:

Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of [God's creation] waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For [God's creation] was made subject to [entropy], not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because [God's creation] itself also shall be delivered from [entropy] into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain [due to entropy] together until now.

And now you see why I say we should never stray outside of Genesis 1 & 2, because people will bring up the Fall, the Flood, the Resurrection, and anything and everything but the events of the Creation Week.

I think you're doing too much eisegesis here, AV.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
Either way, there was an atmosphere.

Whether it was one molecule, or half a planet in size.
I think you've encountered the Sorites paradox; I suggest that a single molecule cannot be an atmosphere. An atmosphere is comprised of a gas or gases. Gases are a state of matter involving widely separated particles - collections of atoms and/or molecules - that can be described by their emergent statistical (thermodynamic) properties (e.g. they have temperature and pressure).

How many atoms or molecules are needed to make an atmosphere? I don't know - what's the smallest number of grains of sand that make a pile?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I understand it fine.

Um ... okay.

The issue appears to be that you consider corrosion to be a form of decay caused by the Fall.

Correct.

This certainly isn't a universal Christian outlook,

Seriously, would it matter if it was?

After all, every single Christian who ever lived, alive today, and will be alive tomorrow believes IN THE BEGINNING GOD.

That is 100% agreement.

Not 99, not 99.9, not 99.99, not 99.999.

100%

And it doesn't amount to a hill of beans to atheists and other types of unbelievers.

So if you're willing to use our disagreements as a valid argument; are you willing to use our agreements as well?

I say you're not.

What say you?

... and I don't consider it justified myself.

That's because you're looking at it from today's standards.

After the Fall.

Corrosion can certainly be inconvenient to us these days,

Key words: "these days."

But corrosion didn't exist prior to the Fall.

... since we like to use metal so much, but it's just a normal chemical process, and it can be useful to produce a number of compounds.

Yup -- today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.