Visit site
✟1,519,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some days in this role are quite surreal. This morning I am trying to write my portion of my review (as part of a process of renewing my licence after three years); dealing with a family planning a funeral, who want to include the song, "Dead Skunk In the Middle of the Road;" and responding to someone who likes to make critical comments about how we're not real Christians on the parish FB page.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟975,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
dealing with a family planning a funeral, who want to include the song, "Dead Skunk In the Middle of the Road;

Look on the bright side. At least they are not asking for AC/DC's "Highway to Hell," .... although I reckon it might be easier to wrap a sermon around that.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟422,961.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm leaning towards telling them to keep it for the wake. They are not going to be happy, though.
It would make a change from Crimmond! or A Maze In Grace. I guess that is 3 minutes and 6 seconds I am not getting back. I think I would want to know why? It might be a source of inspiration for a sermon, or not. Good Luck wth It.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,519,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently the person who died requested it, but I haven't heard why yet. Sigh. I shall learn more when I meet with them on Sunday.

In other news, our funeral directors locally seem to be struggling. The earliest date one funeral director could offer them for a funeral was the 16th of January! (They've found another who can do the 9th).

• Wow
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Some days in this role are quite surreal. This morning I am trying to write my portion of my review (as part of a process of renewing my licence after three years); dealing with a family planning a funeral, who want to include the song, "Dead Skunk In the Middle of the Road;" and responding to someone who likes to make critical comments about how we're not real Christians on the parish FB page.
I often wonder what priests, pastors, and rabbis do on a daily basis. I never understood how difficult the job could be.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,519,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I often wonder what priests, pastors, and rabbis do on a daily basis. I never understood how difficult the job could be.
I can honestly say it's the most demanding role I've ever had, if only because of the variety of the demands it places on you. One colleague of mine described it as "juggling confetti," and I think that's a really good image.

Every parish, or ministry, is different, though. This parish runs a food bank three mornings a week, and that makes the life of this place completely different to anywhere else that I've worked, both in terms of the rhythm of its life, and in terms of the sorts of pastoral issues and conversations that come up.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Mandolin Wood

Jan 2, 2024
Kansas City
✟4,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi I'm new. As far as pews or chairs I think pews are nice when they have seat and back cushions but not very comfortable. Maybe we should feel uncomfortable to keep our mind on the service I don't know. Chairs are ok too. I've been to a church where their was heated discussion over what color carpet should be. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I can honestly say it's the most demanding role I've ever had, if only because of the variety of the demands it places on you. One colleague of mine described it as "juggling confetti," and I think that's a really good image.

Every parish, or ministry, is different, though. This parish runs a food bank three mornings a week, and that makes the life of this place completely different to anywhere else that I've worked, both in terms of the rhythm of its life, and in terms of the sorts of pastoral issues and conversations that come up.
That’s really interesting.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟577,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My fuel efficient auto had been inoperable for about a month but it finally came back from the mechanic's garage last week. It's rather more comfortable to ride in than my pickup truck and my children are very pleased to have it back.

Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟577,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Last year I could not find them anywhere. None of the supermarkets in the county had any and there's not many independent bakeries. Surely yet another sign that America is going straight to hell. I'm not much of a baker either. Paczki have appeared in the stores though (basically a Polish jelly donut).

I've got my Ash Wednesday planned out but I haven't yet decided what I want to present for the midweek Lenten study.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟975,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Surely yet another sign that America is going straight to hell.
I am no theologian but I'm pretty sure this is one of the end-times signs in Revelation. I can't remember chapter and verse, but I think it is in there somewhere. ^_^

Upvote 0