Aug 23, 2007
✟798,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I didn't think I'd write a post like this, lol but I finally have become to understand why talking before Mass is frowned upon (as far as talking after Mass, that may be another topic, but I'm focusing on the before aspect). For many people, it's the only time/place where they can seek peace and quiet, and when they encounter things that pose as a threat to that peace and quiet, it is extremely irritating.

I paid no mind to this problem until the shoe was on my foot. I just wanted to relax, internally, but there were people talking near me as if they're at the lunch table (a bit of an exaggeration but not entirely). I thought to myself, I just want to absorb the peace/quiet that is expected of being in a sanctuary, and I can't get it. I then thought, "I used to think people were legalistic about this, and now I totally get it."

A couple days ago at Saturday Vigil, I was sitting next to a lady who I otherwise like and who likes me. She is chatty though, and as much as I try to whisper to her as softly as possible, she doesn't talk as soft and I'm starting to worry that others in the congregation will start knowing me as "the one who talks and distracts people" even though it's not entirely my choice - it's the choice of the woman next to me. On Saturday she happened to be chatting with a lady she went to high school with, and they didn't seem considerate of how "loud" they were talking among the congregation who were trying to wait for Mass. Mind you, they're not the only ones guilty of doing it, but they stood out.

Reactions: RileyG

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟161,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I didn't think I'd write a post like this, lol but I finally have become to understand why talking before Mass is frowned upon (as far as talking after Mass, that may be another topic, but I'm focusing on the before aspect). For many people, it's the only time/place where they can seek peace and quiet, and when they encounter things that pose as a threat to that peace and quiet, it is extremely irritating.

I paid no mind to this problem until the shoe was on my foot. I just wanted to relax, internally, but there were people talking near me as if they're at the lunch table (a bit of an exaggeration but not entirely). I thought to myself, I just want to absorb the peace/quiet that is expected of being in a sanctuary, and I can't get it. I then thought, "I used to think people were legalistic about this, and now I totally get it."

A couple days ago at Saturday Vigil, I was sitting next to a lady who I otherwise like and who likes me. She is chatty though, and as much as I try to whisper to her as softly as possible, she doesn't talk as soft and I'm starting to worry that others in the congregation will start knowing me as "the one who talks and distracts people" even though it's not entirely my choice - it's the choice of the woman next to me. On Saturday she happened to be chatting with a lady she went to high school with, and they didn't seem considerate of how "loud" they were talking among the congregation who were trying to wait for Mass. Mind you, they're not the only ones guilty of doing it, but they stood out.
Funny you should start a thread about this. I have an older friend I usually sit with at Mass. I feel the same way, though there are times when I need to say something so I’ll whisper. She can’t hear and then she wants me to talk louder. I just wave her off and mouth the words “never mind.”
Yesterday I said whatever I was trying to say louder because I was so frustrated with my friend not hearing me and now I am afraid the family behind us were disturbed by us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I pray for the grace to concentrate and it is very helpful for me.

I have shot people a glance. Or cleared my throat.

But mainly apologies to the Lord for the inability I have to concentrate.
And forgive them. Forgiveness is a very underrated part of peace.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
At my nephews first holy Communion, the older lady in front of me kept yammering on and on. It drove me nuts. I assume she wasn’t Catholic because she didn’t cross herself, or receive Holy Communion etc. she probably didn’t understand the importance of Holy Mass.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟798,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
At my nephews first holy Communion, the older lady in front of me kept yammering on and on. It drove me nuts. I assume she wasn’t Catholic because she didn’t cross herself, or receive Holy Communion etc. she probably didn’t understand the importance of Holy Mass.
That's a different story, although I wish she'd learn the etiquette. The woman I know is probably 80-something and has been Catholic her whole life, went to Catholic schools, goes to Confession every week, etc.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That's a different story, although I wish she'd learn the etiquette. The woman I know is probably 80-something and has been Catholic her whole life, went to Catholic schools, goes to Confession every week, etc.
Maybe she has dementia?

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟798,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe she has dementia?
Oh gosh, I don't think so. She seems completely alright in her faculties. I hope you're wrong, but it doesn't look like she has any problems at all.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Oh gosh, I don't think so. She seems completely alright in her faculties. I hope you're wrong, but it doesn't look like she has any problems at all.
Some people are naturally no talkative. Maybe she means no harm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟798,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some people are naturally no talkative. Maybe she means no harm.
I don't think she means harm at all, but it's going to render me guilty by association if I keep sitting next to her. Sigh :(

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think she means harm at all, but it's going to render me guilty by association if I keep sitting next to her. Sigh :(
I suggest you stop sitting by her or just politely inform her you are trying to pray. I don't know how she will take it, though.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟798,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Are you going to stop sitting next to her?
I don't know what to do, actually. I haven't gone there in a couple weeks. The last time I was there, however, she wasn't there, but that's not usually the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hate how even in the church I love, there's always a problem. That's what we get in this fallen world.
Nothing will be perfect until Christ returns. That's just how our world is, sadly.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟161,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The friend I was talking about is in her late 70’s. I’ve noticed that usually it’s older people who are doing this. They probably can’t hear. And don’t care that they’re talking loudly. I had to drag my friend out into the lobby Saturday to tell her something important before Mass and she still was asking ”should I take my purse?” And then I had to keep signaling her to follow me out the doors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0