• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it a sin to "cause" your death?

madson58000

May 2, 2024
British Colombia
✟725.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had suicidal thoughts for quite a while now, but struggle with it as it is a sin to do it, or even think or about it. However is it a sin to kill yourself with an external cause, such as car crash, robbery, drafting into war or else?
I have the feeling that this thread will sound very inappropriate since a lot of people suffer these and much more without wanting it, and I'm here sitting being free from these bad things. But believe it or not I'm just trying to find an allowed way to join Jesus sooner in Heaven.
I guess most of these things usually have a suffer period before somehow dying, but there are maybe ways that don't have it. I just don't wanna spend time looking for them just to learn that it's bad anyway.
I guess anyway you can't trick God with this method but would He see this as "you caused it so you sinned" or something else? I think I already know the answer though.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟75,174.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really sorry to hear you're struggling, please seek professional help (psychologist, counsellor, pastor). :praying:

In some ways eating too much sugar or fat, or exercising not enough falls into the same category ..

Feel free to PM. You're called to Life .. !

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟364,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Really sorry to hear you're struggling, please seek professional help (psychologist, counsellor, pastor). :praying:

In some ways eating too much sugar or fat, or exercising not enough falls into the same category ..

Feel free to PM. You're called to Life .. !
Except those can cause a lot of pain and suffering instead.of death.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I had suicidal thoughts for quite a while now, but struggle with it as it is a sin to do it, or even think or about it. However is it a sin to kill yourself with an external cause, such as car crash, robbery, drafting into war or else?
I have the feeling that this thread will sound very inappropriate since a lot of people suffer these and much more without wanting it, and I'm here sitting being free from these bad things. But believe it or not I'm just trying to find an allowed way to join Jesus sooner in Heaven.
I guess most of these things usually have a suffer period before somehow dying, but there are maybe ways that don't have it. I just don't wanna spend time looking for them just to learn that it's bad anyway.
I guess anyway you can't trick God with this method but would He see this as "you caused it so you sinned" or something else? I think I already know the answer though.

It is a sin to kill yourself. Whether you put a gun to your head, or take pills, or crash your car makes no difference.

Thinking "I hope I die" is not quite the same thing as thinking "I'm going to kill myself." It is still very likely a sin, because it probably involves things like despair and self-hatred, which are sins.

To say that suicide is a sin doesn't NECESSARILY mean that it will automatically prevent a person from going to heaven. Culpability is dependent on circumstances like mental state etc. If a person is not capable of rational thought due to circumstance then their culpability is diminished.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟78,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are always to choose life, health and the blessings of God. There are a lot of doctors out there that are happy to help people end their life. The Bible is clear that life is always the right choice to make. Why would we come here to live this life if we are not goin to do what we came here to learn?

Upvote 0