The Wild West
✟497,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My sermons don't come out exactly the same way each time (I generally preach each one at least twice). Each congregation is different, and my delivery is going to adapt to how I can see them responding. And I simply don't have time for the amount of work that would go into staging the delivery that precisely!

When I serve, and I have been taking a sabbatical for the past few months for health reasons, I have in the past experimented with different lectionaries at my two parishes, and also, when I have written the same homily for both, I invariablly make minor errors in delivering it. By the way i posted a thread for review of our homilies but then got distracted and never shared any of mine, but I still have details of all those services recorded and would still like your feedback, so I think I should revive that thread.

I am hoping to resume serving the liturgy if not this month, then in November, before the Nativity Fast begins.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟580,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you livestream it on YouTube or another such service? If not, I would respectfully suggest doing so, because this would allow myself and many others to listen, and would raise the profile of your broadcast and might increase AM listening as well.
They've currently got a survey circulating to gauge the interest in streamed services. Also to go to one service at a new time. Someone had the bright idea to call the radio and ask if we could send in a prerecorded service and the radio people really do not care what we do as long as the monthly bank draft for the time clears. I was talking to the audio team last week and set down some guidelines for streaming.
1. There will be at least 2 cameras and they won't be a phone or iPad.
2. There will be a proper microphone and sound.
3. I'm not doing virtual Holy Communion.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟497,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
They've currently got a survey circulating to gauge the interest in streamed services. Also to go to one service at a new time. Someone had the bright idea to call the radio and ask if we could send in a prerecorded service and the radio people really do not care what we do as long as the monthly bank draft for the time clears. I was talking to the audio team last week and set down some guidelines for streaming.
1. There will be at least 2 cameras and they won't be a phone or iPad.
2. There will be a proper microphone and sound.
3. I'm not doing virtual Holy Communion.

Very good. I assume you do Evensong or Mattins or other Divine Office services and perhaps Ante-Communion?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟497,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It's just ideas right now. My preference would be Matins or the Service of Prayer and Preaching that most of the newer Lutheran hymnals have.

This is a thrilling idea. I owe you a phone call by the way to update you on my status and to talk about some of our work.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟580,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I am headed back to Virginia tomorrow to witness my friend and sometime colleague Fr. Tom be made an Anglican bishop. He somehow wrangled up a (non-canonical) Orthodox bishop to be a co-consecrator.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟497,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I got a beautiful blue Anglican rosary yesterday. I thought some of you might be interested. :)

I’d be interested in seeing it if you could upload a pic. I might reciprocate with my own rosary collection.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I’d be interested in seeing it if you could upload a pic. I might reciprocate with my own rosary collection.
I can do that later today :) I have a large amount (probably hundreds) of (Dominican) Rosaries and only a few Anglican Rosaries, with a few chotkis as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
WIN_20231116_19_54_22_Pro.jpg

Here's a poor quality pic, it's very Blue, but it doesn't show well up in the picture.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I also have a well-worn Book of Common Prayer that I got in 2019. I use it daily for prayer and all of the edges have turned yellow, especially around The Psalter. It has really helped me spiritually. :)

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟580,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I've been using Compline for a mid-week Advent service and then we eat supper at the church. Last week there were 4 chicken dishes and some spaghetti that was well intentioned but thoroughly overcooked. They tried to send me home with it and, frankly, I didn't want it. I'm going to cook a meatloaf today. It's also time to bottle the Christmas wine. That will not see sacramental use, just home use. Homemade sacramental wine is weirdly popular in these parts. I cringe at times when I do supply work and see some jug of bathtub rot-gut wine sitting in the sacristy.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟443,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's the week before Christmas and you have time to think about things like domestic wine-making??
Seriously! I'm still mediating fights between my music director and secretary over what we call certain pieces in the bulletin. At some point, the sermon writing shall begin. At least I only have to write two this Christmas. *sigh*

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟978,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From the pew, thank you to all you clergy and church staff who work so hard during Advent and Christmas to provide us meaningful worship and celebratory experiences. We know you get tired. We also want you to know how much we appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,522,760.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, @seeking.IAM. I really appreciate that.

It's a funny thing, people either seem to "get it" or not, around the work ministry takes. On the one hand, I have grumpy parishioners who are upset I don't walk on water, and on the other hand I have folk who are really appreciative.

I think - I hope - things are more or less on track for Christmas here. I've simplified the programme a bit this year; it's not just me, but the parish seems to be really tired and unmotivated. Morale is low. I can make a list of the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I can do much to fix them...

• Prayers
Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0