Did Christ die for the sin of unbelief ?

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats fine if you dont believe it, not much I can do about that. The Gift of God is eternal life Jn 6:23 so that necessitates regeneration, its not an offer, its an applied blessing through Jesus Christ, just like the wages of sin was death, nothing is offered. When man sinned in Adam was death offered ? Then Faith is given through regeneration, and unbelief has been overcome. Thats because Christ died for that sin as well.
It is impossible to be regerated by His Holy Spirit before one first has faith and believes. I truly think our definition of regeneration is quite different, as we can not become a " new man" ( regenerated) unless one decides ( chooses) to believe first then He makes His Home in us. That being said, these technicalities should not be central point IMHO. Jesus Christ of Nazareth should be our Center.
Thank you for engaging!
Be blessed

• Agree
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is impossible to be regerated by His Holy Spirit before one first has faith and believes. I truly think our definition of regeneration is quite different, as we can not become a " new man" ( regenerated) unless one decides ( chooses) to believe first then He makes His Home in us. That being said, these technicalities should not be central point IMHO. Jesus Christ of Nazareth should be our Center.
Thank you for engaging!
Be blessed
Like I said, unbelief is a sin that was paid for, died for, no one Christ died for can die in unbelief, that would be injustice since its been paid for. All that you saying is foreign to scripture truth

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jn 1:29
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
Now the sin of the world did involve unbelief. Eve didn't believe the truth of God. God had said in the day that you eat you shall surely die. Observe Gen 2:17
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Now Gen 3:2-4
And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
as a result of unbelief:
Not in the Biblical text.

Granted, disobedience (apeitheia) is unbelief, and unbelief (apeitheia) is disobedience.

Unbelief in Jesus Christ bars one from God's only means of salvation; i.e., through the gift (Php 1:29, Ac 13:48, 18:27, 2 Pe 1:1, Ro 12:3) of faith (Eph 2:8-9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus died for all sin even the sin of unbelief, so all sin has been paid for and is forgiven.​
Not according to Jesus: "he who does not believe in the Son is condemned already." (Jn 3:18)

According to Jesus, there is no universal Christ and no universal salvation.
That is a false gospel, not preached by the apostles, and anathematized (cursed) by the NT (Gal 1:6-9).

I suspect it is the great rebellion (against the gospel of Jesus Christ) revealed in 2 Th 2:3.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because He only died and put away the sin of those who believed on Him, thats why they become believers, their sins including unbelief has been taken away.

Actually, they become believers because of the sovereign rebirth of their spirit by the Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-5), who is as unaccountable as the wind (Jn 3:6-8).
Spiritually dead men cannot spiritually believe until they are "raised" to spiritual life in the new (spiritual) birth of the Holy Spirit.

One is saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8-9).
Faith applies the death of Christ to one's sin, which death pays sin's debt and removes it.

grace/new birth --> faith --> salvation

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟256,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not according to Jesus: "he who does not believe in the Son is condemned already." (Jn 3:18)

According to Jesus, there is no universal Christ and no universal salvation.
That is a false gospel, not preached by the apostles, and anathematized (cursed) by the NT (Gal 1:6-9).

I suspect it is the great rebellion (against the gospel of Jesus Christ) revealed in 2 Th 2:3.

Read the verse you posted, there is nothing in that verse about sin. People are condemned because they do not believe. The sin of unbelief is forgiven, but because they lack The Life of God, it is the lack of The Life of God, which is the reason they are condemned.

Go look at the great white throne judgment, the ones there are cast into the lake of fire because their name is not found in the book of life. Not a single person is thrown into the lake of fire because of sin period.

I never mention anything about universal salvation. Maybe you do not understand eternal life, sin, and can differentiate between these areas.

Because you injecting the idea of universal salvation into my post, shows you lack some type of understanding. Maybe it is universal salvation that you do not understand.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not in the Biblical text.

Granted, disobedience (apeitheia) is unbelief, and unbelief (apeitheia) is disobedience.

Unbelief in Jesus Christ bars one from God's only means of salvation; i.e., through the gift (Php 1:29, Ac 13:48, 18:27, 2 Pe 1:1, Ro 12:3) of faith (Eph 2:8-9).
Again Christ died for the sin of unbelief, it cannot be charged upon anyone He died for, in fact they will be given the Gift of Faith

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, they become believers because of the sovereign rebirth of their spirit by the Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-5), who is as unaccountable as the wind (Jn 3:6-8).
Spiritually dead men cannot spiritually believe until they are "raised" to spiritual life in the new (spiritual) birth of the Holy Spirit.

One is saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8-9).
Faith applies the death of Christ to one's sin, which death pays sin's debt and removes it.

grace/new birth --> faith --> salvation
Again those for whom Christ died, all their sins including unbelief have been taken away, the vail is taken away, and yes they will be birthed again and given the Gift of Faith. If anyone dies in their sins in unbelief, its because Christ never substituted for them and took away their sins.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you honestly saying that God cannot do something?
Faith is not something, it is everything. It is His promise that only those with faith will be in His Kingdom. Jesus Christ of Nazareth taught that with faith, nothing is impossible, and that all things are possible to those who have faith. Faith can only be obtained through the heart of an individual. It is a personal choice by hearing the Word of God and not preordained by taking choice out of the picture.
But lets not go down this road again...please.
Thanks for engaging!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Faith is not something, it is everything. It is His promise that only those with faith will be in His Kingdom. Jesus Christ of Nazareth taught that with faith, nothing is impossible, and that all things are possible to those who have faith. Faith can only be obtained through the heart of an individual. It is a personal choice by hearing the Word of God and not preordained by taking choice out of the picture.
But lets not go down this road again...please.
Thanks for engaging!
That didn’t answer my question. Your post implies that God is subordinate to man when it comes to salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That didn’t answer my question. Your post implies that God is subordinate to man when it comes to salvation.
Subordinate is hardly the word I would use for God's will that all be saved through His Son by having faith in Him.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Subordinate is hardly the word I would use for God's will that all be saved through His Son by having faith in Him.
It might not be the word you’d use. But since you said God cannot do something until man does something, it’s an appropriate word.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Christ die for the sin of unbelief ?

Now unbelief and disobedience are relatively the same thing. Unbelief is called not obeying here 2 Thess 1:8

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Now to obey not is disobedience

Jn 3:36

He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.

Believes not here in the greek is the word ἀπειθέω:

I disobey, rebel, am disloyal, refuse conformity

Now disobedience s the parent sin in adam Rom 5:19 which began with eve not believing God because of the serpents seduction, hence she believed his [the serpents lie] over Gods Truth. Recall what God had said what would happen if they ate of that particular tree, that "ye shall surely die Gen 2:16-17 and the serpent said to her the opposite to Gods Truth Gen 3:1-6. This is the beginning of the parent sin of unbelief/disobedience which all by nature are imprisoned to Rom 11:31-32

31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief/disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all.

So now to say Christ didn't die for unbelief, is to deny Christ died for mans sin in adam, which contradicts scripture truth Rom 5:15-16

15 But not as the offence [unbelief/disobedience], so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned[disobedience/unbelief], so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Christ took away the sin of the world Jn 1:29, but if they who He died for are condemned for unbelief, Jn 1:29 is a lie !

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read the verse you posted, there is nothing in that verse about sin.
People are condemned because they do not believe. The sin of unbelief is forgiven,
The sin of unbelief is forgiven only by belief.
There is no sin of unbelief in the saved for they have departed from unbelief into belief, which belief (i.e., abandonment of unbelief) is why they are forgiven and now saved.
but because they lack The Life of God, it is the lack of The Life of God, which is the reason they are condemned.
Not according to Jesus, where:

1) lack of "The Life of God" (new birth) is the cause of their unbelief, which unbelief is the cause of their condemnation.
"No on can (even) see (much less believe in) the kingdom God unless he is born again." (Jn 3:5), i.e. already has "The Life of God," eternal life.

no life of God (no new birth) --> unbelief (no seeing) --> condemnation (no salvation)

2) condemnation is only about unbelief: "he who does not believe in the Son is condemned already." (Jn 3:18)

Where did you learn that unbelief is "forgiven" apart from its abandonment into belief?
Is "unlove" of our neighbor forgiven apart from its abandonment into love of our neighbor?
Go look at the great white throne judgment, the ones there are cast into the lake of fire because their name is not found in the book of life. Not a single person is thrown into the lake of fire because of sin period.
There name is not found in the Book of Life because they never savingly believed.
I never mention anything about universal salvation. Maybe you do not understand eternal life, sin, and can differentiate between these areas.

Because you injecting the idea of universal salvation into my post, shows you lack some type of understanding. Maybe it is universal salvation that you do not understand.
Okay, my mistake. . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0