Why Do Christians Lie About What God Said in Genesis 2:17?

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟905,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For sure? I suppose not, though we can be reasonably certain if we can provide good reasons for taking the interpretive assumptions we do. Does this make our interpretations what the Bible says? No, and we can discuss what the Bible says and argue for reasons we believe it to be the case. But the notion that there is a plain meaning to the Biblical text is simply a hotbed for division. The essentials of the faith require a combination of dogmatic protection and argumentative support from Biblical and extra-Biblical sources, making appeal to a broad range of evidences to establish and not the single evidence of the Biblical text.

Oh? It takes knowledge to believe the gospel? I thought it was based on faith.
I would expect someone who seems to know so much about the biblical languages to know the Greek definition of such a trivial word as pistis. It’s just the noun form of the word believe. I think the word you’re referring to is oligopistos (little faith).

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m still seeing a lot of claims with nothing to back them up. Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to quote the verse that proves me wrong about the usage of yalad? I’m anxious to see it.
I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating this, but I'm trying not to argue over those kinds of details since they are superficial to my argument. I've given a clear indication of where those verses are by identifying the lineages that contain them, but purposely haven't brought them in directly because doing so would distract from my argument rather than add to it.

If my intention were to argue with you over what the correct interpretation of the Genesis narratives is, it certainly would be easier to actually get into those kinds of arguments. But that's not my intention nor has it been the thrust of my argument, which you keep ignoring and trying to continue squabbling over details that are entirely secondary to my overall point.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would expect someone who seems to know so much about the biblical languages to know the Greek definition of such a trivial word as pistis. It’s just the noun form of the word believe. I think the word you’re referring to is oligopistos.
It's worth asking again, have you actually studied the Biblical languages? Their grammar and construction? Or do you just look up words in lexicons and assume that these things function the same way?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟905,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating this, but I'm trying not to argue over those kinds of details since they are superficial to my argument. I've given a clear indication of where those verses are by identifying the lineages that contain them, but purposely haven't brought them in directly because doing so would distract from my argument rather than add to it.

If my intention were to argue with you over what the correct interpretation of the Genesis narratives is, it certainly would be easier to actually get into those kinds of arguments. But that's not my intention nor has it been the thrust of my argument, which you keep ignoring and trying to continue squabbling over details that are entirely secondary to my overall point.
Look we can argue about this for eternity or you can just post the verse that uses the Hebrew word yalad in a manner that means to bring forth a line or lineage and prove your point so we can get past this debate. I’ve already looked and can’t find it, maybe you can help me learn something by presenting this verse so I can stop misinterpreting the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look we can argue about this for eternity or you can just post the verse that uses the Hebrew word yalad in a manner that means to bring forth a line or lineage and prove your point so we can get past this debate.
That wouldn't prove my point, as my point is not quibbling over word-meanings though such quibbles are included within the larger thrust of what I am arguing. The fact that we have to figure out what the word means is part of the interpretive process, and word meanings are never certain especially with Hebrew since it's a re-constructed language.

The very fact that we are arguing this shows that interpretive differences exist, since you are trying to argue why your interpretation would trump someone who believed the list was straight factual but contained gaps in both genealogy and chronology.
I’ve already looked and can’t find it, maybe you can help me learn something by presenting this verse so I can stop misinterpreting the scriptures.
It doesn't serve my purposes to do so, especially since you insist on trying to drag us into the rabbit hole of interpretational dispute without first vetting out and coming to an agreement on our assumptions about what kind of text we are reading and what literary conventions to understand the text through.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟905,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's worth asking again, have you actually studied the Biblical languages? Their grammar and construction? Or do you just look up words in lexicons and assume that these things function the same way?
I’ve done some study, not a whole lot and I have noticed that different usages can imply different meanings. Like for example the Hebrew words yovm and beyovm are two different variations of the word Yom. The prefix Be adds the term “in the” which can alter the usage of the word day to mean an unspecified amount of time that occurred at a general period in time. For example Genesis 5:1 uses the word Beyovm that is in reference to the period of time during Adam’s life that is not limited to a 24 hour period. But I’ve also learned that the Hebrew word Yovm is NEVER used the same way anywhere in the Old Testament. So I do have some understanding about how the different variations of Hebrew words can have a very huge effect on how they’re actually used.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟905,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That wouldn't prove my point, as my point is not quibbling over word-meanings though such quibbles are included within the larger thrust of what I am arguing. The fact that we have to figure out what the word means is part of the interpretive process, and word meanings are never certain especially with Hebrew since it's a re-constructed language.

The very fact that we are arguing this shows that interpretive differences exist, since you are trying to argue why your interpretation would trump someone who believed the list was straight factual but contained gaps in both genealogy and chronology.

It doesn't serve my purposes to do so, especially since you insist on trying to drag us into the rabbit hole of interpretational dispute without first vetting out and coming to an agreement on our assumptions about what kind of text we are reading and what literary conventions to understand the text through.
Ok then there’s no point in even continuing arguing about it if you’re just going to make claims that I can’t find evidence to support and you’re unwilling to actually produce any evidence that supports them. If all you’re going to do is make unsupported claims then there’s no point in continuing the discussion.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve done some study, not a whole lot and I have noticed that different usages can imply different meanings.
What, precisely, do you mean by "some study"? Have you read a Hebrew or Greek grammar? Or are you talking about doing word studies?
Like for example the Hebrew words yovm and beyovm are two different variations of the word Yom. The prefix Be adds the term “in the” which can alter the usage of the word day to mean an unspecified amount of time that occurred at a general period in time. For example Genesis 5:1 uses the word Beyovm that is in reference to the period of time during Adam’s life that is not limited to a 24 hour period. But I’ve also learned that the Hebrew word Yovm is NEVER used the same way anywhere in the Old Testament. So I do have some understanding about how the different variations of Hebrew words can have a very huge effect on how they’re actually used.
Sounds like word studies, which can lead to erroneous conclusions if the differences in grammar aren't understood. For instance, Hebrew words aren't concrete the way English words are because Hebrew is a "visual" language for lack of a better word. That makes the semantics of it a bit loose, because the words tend to be presented to conjure mental pictures from which the meaning is understood rather than abstract grammatical connections. For instance, the word for anger is more precisely translated something like "flaring nostrils" if we're trying to be literal about it. This makes it so the best way to understand a word in Hebrew is not by doing long-range word studies but by doing tight contextual surveys, which requires us to first understand what kind of literature our target word is found in.

The principle difference between your understanding and mine of the Genesis narrative found in Genesis 1-11 is not that we disagree over what the word yalad means, but that you take it to be something like a modern academic historical account while I take it to be an ancient mytho-history where real historical events are couched in cultural myths to make a point of theology. If my understanding of what kind of literature is correct, then a chronology is entirely inappropriate because it is more likely the numbers given serve some symbolic purpose rather than being meant to take at face value.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok then there’s no point in even continuing arguing about it if you’re just going to make claims that I can’t find evidence to support and you’re unwilling to actually produce any evidence that supports them. If all you’re going to do is make unsupported claims then there’s no point in continuing the discussion.
Perhaps if you read my posts trying to understand what I'm saying, rather than looking to argue it wouldn't have come to this. Because you're trying to attack superficial elements of my argument rather than the primary points I've made.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟905,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps if you read my posts trying to understand what I'm saying, rather than looking to argue it wouldn't have come to this. Because you're trying to attack superficial elements of my argument rather than the primary points I've made.
No I’m done because your whole argument is based on unsupported claims. Just because you make a claim about how the Hebrew language is intended to be interpreted but repeatedly refuse to provide any examples to support that claim doesn’t mean that you actually presented a fact. The last 10 posts or so have basically been both of us going back & forth like a couple of elementary kids saying uhuh, uh uh, uhuh, uh uh, uhuh, uh uh, it’s just childish and I refuse to be a participant of it anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟133,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I’m done because your whole argument is based on unsupported claims. Just because you make a claim about how the Hebrew language is intended to be interpreted but repeatedly refuse to provide any examples to support that claim doesn’t mean that you actually presented a fact. The last 10 posts or so have basically been both of us going back & forth like a couple of elementary kids saying uhuh, uh uh, uhuh, uh uh, uhuh, uh uh, it’s just childish and I refuse to be a participant of it anymore.
Your arguments provide the support needed, because if there were no interpretive elements we could both simply read the text and come to the exact same conclusions every time. But we don't. Now, you may think my interpretation is wrong but by engaging in arguments over what the right way to read it are tacitly accepts that we must make an interpretation. So why don't you just quote the text undefended, rather than arguing for the reasons your interpretation is stronger than mine?

Upvote 0

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟20,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Again, Genesis 2:17 is when God warned that Adam would physically die on that very day. There is no changing this.

Here is where Adam and the Woman physically died...

Genesis 3:6
"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."

Notice I keep saying 'Woman' instead of Eve? Go back and re-read the story. You will notice that there is no Eve until *after* the Fall. There was another being that was created first. Her name was Ishshah or Woman. That was her name...

Genesis 2:23
"And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."

Does it say, "She shall be called Eve?" Nope. Therefore, it was not Eve. Everyone ignores these and other crucial details in the story.

It was Ishshah that died. She was then resurrected here as Eve...

Genesis 3:7
"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons."

Since Ishshah was recreated as a new being, she needed a new name, hence...

Genesis 3:20
"And Adam called his wife’s name Eve; because she was the mother of all living."

Obviously, these are two different women. Eve was not named twice.
Gen. 3:17 states, "And unto Adam he said, because thou has hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree... (Vs. 20) And Adam called his wife's name Eve...(Vs. 21) Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

These texts indicate that Adam's wife Eve led Adam to eat of the forbidden tree, and they realized afterward their nakedness, thus God made them both a covering of skins.

Upvote 0