✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Isaiah 46:12-13,
"Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted, that are far from righteousness: I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry:"

"Thou shalt fear Yahweh thy God, and serve him... Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of Yahweh your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.
And thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the Lord: that it may be well with thee.
And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before Yahweh our God, as he hath commanded us."

1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

Revelation 22:4, "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

Oh, please do not say"we don't have to keep the 10 commandments" and that they are nailed to the cross. That's the wretched antinomian teaching: a false doctrine, and twisted scripture. Peter wrote referring to Paul's letters, that there "are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16)

Sin is nailed to the cross, the handwriting of ordinances is nailed to the cross: that is, the penalty or indictment of sin (Colossians 1:14), and the ceremonial and sacrificial part of the law was done away with in Christ; Him being the final and perfect sacrifice (Hebrews 9:26-28, 10:9-14), but the moral law contained in the 10 commandments was never abolished. Otherwise Jesus would have never said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15)

No! Jesus magnified the law just as prophesied: "The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable"
He spoke it more perfectly, and indeed He did magnify it and made it honorable, so that even breaking the 10 commandments in your heart and in your thoughts is sin, not just the physical commission of it.

Matthew 5:27-28,
"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Here Jesus magnified the law. In fact let's look at more from the sermon on the mount,

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:17-28)

1 John 3:13-15 confirms and clarifies some of this even further: "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

You see, some have argued that Jesus preached the sermon on the mount before His crucifixion, so He hadn't yet fulfilled the law, and He was speaking to Jews at the time; and all other manner of excuses to avoid the law, and take a detour around it. That's why 1 John is important, because John wrote that long after the crucifixion. Yet he still reiterates what Jesus spoke in Matthew 5 regarding having something against your brother.

And Paul is very clear when he is writing about faith, and is careful to clarify lest his readers think he means an abolition of the law: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31)

Rather, we keep the law now by faith, not by works, and by His righteousness: "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." (Romans 3:25-26)

That is the righteousness of God without the law, being witnessed BY THE LAW and the prophets (Romans 3:21): The gift of righteousness - "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:17)

Paul goes on to say, "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:" (Romans 6:6-8)

This is very clear: we should not serve sin. The 10 commandments point out sin, so if we keep them we are not serving sin, and if we are dead and not serving sin, we are keeping the commandments.

You might say, "well love is the commandment today." And, I will agree with that, but only from Jesus commandment on it, not the utter nonsense and blasphemy that's taught today saying you can "love" anyone you want in any way you want and it's ok because after all, it's just love.

Jesus summed up the 10 commandments in two:
"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (Matthew 22:36-40)

If you are loving God with all your heart, soul, and mind, then you will be keeping the first 4 commandments, and if you love your neighbor as yourself, you will honor your parents, you will not kill, or even hate; you will not commit adultery, or even look to lust in your heart, you won't steal, you won't covet, or lie. And right there covers all 10 commandments, which is the moral law that we are called to keep by faith, through His righteousness: for He lives through us and in us.

Anyone teaching the 10 commandments are abolished doesn't know the scriptures, and is deceived themselves, and if they are teaching others their twisted doctrine, causing others to feel comfortable sinning, they shall be held accountable for leading the brethren astray, or maybe keeping people from being saved by promoting a counterfeit salvation based on heresy and lies.

The gist of righteousness is ours to live in, as imparted unto us, imputed also unto us - Christs righteousness becomes our righteousness, not as a cloak for sin, not as a get out of hell free card, but as a daily righteousness we are to live in. Amen

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, please do not say"we don't have to keep the 10 commandments" and that they are nailed to the cross.
I have to respond to this pretty regularly because it is so easy to mis-state or to misunderstand. We are not under the Law period--not even the 10 Commandments part of the Law. It is all a contract, complete with all sections or subsections. The 10 Commandments aree but a subset of the entire Law, and *all* of it has been set aside and abandoned.

The Law was a temporary agreement, to hold Israel in good relations with God until Christ could come and ratify the final agreement. The Law was like a Purchasing Agreement on a house, and the New Testament is the closing documents. One was temporary and designed to lead to the latter.

In the example of a home purchase you will recognize that the Purchasing Agreement includes a lot of relevant data that will remain good in the closing agreement. The price, the time of sale, the means of sale--all of that will prepare and be part of the closing documents.

It is the same with the Law. The moral requirements will remain true in the New Covenant. But there is no doubt that there must be a separation between the Purchasing Agreement and the Closing documents. One has conditions, and the other is final.

Same with the Law. The Law was tentative and had conditions. If Israel failed to keep their part of the agreement under the Law, that agreement would fail. Still, it could lead to the final agreement, even if it came to apply only to the faithful parties, and not to those who had been unfaithful.

The reason for these distinctions is to keep the agreements separate--one is tentative and conditional, and the other is final and unconditional. The New Covenant requires something that can never be undone--a person chooses Christ as their Way, Truth, and Life. The old, independent life is abandoned, even if it doesn't result in perfection. It obtains Eternal Life.

The Law did no such thing. Israel was to abandon their own selfishness for following their one God alone. But under that agreement all Israel were included, and many would not succeed. Not only so, but the agreement was based on elements that were never meant to be part of the final agreement. Animal sacrifices, the priesthood, and temple worship were never intended to be part of the final agreement, but only preparatory leading to a better model of temple, priest, and sacrifice through Christ.

So the temporary laws had to go out with the preparatory plan. The animal sacrifices, the temple worship, and the priesthood had to change, along with many laws that no longer pertain to morality and spirituality that are elements eternal in our relationship with God.

So yes, morality remains a constant, since God created Man *in His image.* That doesn't change. And much of the 10 Commandments does not change, although Sabbath Law is part of the old agreement. So we can learn from the Law, but we are absolutely *not under that agreement!* That is the main point.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I have to respond to this pretty regularly because it is so easy to mis-state or to misunderstand. We are not under the Law period--not even the 10 Commandments part of the Law. It is all a contract, complete with all sections or subsections. The 10 Commandments aree but a subset of the entire Law, and *all* of it has been set aside and abandoned.

The Law was a temporary agreement, to hold Israel in good relations with God until Christ could come and ratify the final agreement. The Law was like a Purchasing Agreement on a house, and the New Testament is the closing documents. One was temporary and designed to lead to the latter.

In the example of a home purchase you will recognize that the Purchasing Agreement includes a lot of relevant data that will remain good in the closing agreement. The price, the time of sale, the means of sale--all of that will prepare and be part of the closing documents.

It is the same with the Law. The moral requirements will remain true in the New Covenant. But there is no doubt that there must be a separation between the Purchasing Agreement and the Closing documents. One has conditions, and the other is final.

Same with the Law. The Law was tentative and had conditions. If Israel failed to keep their part of the agreement under the Law, that agreement would fail. Still, it could lead to the final agreement, even if it came to apply only to the faithful parties, and not to those who had been unfaithful.

The reason for these distinctions is to keep the agreements separate--one is tentative and conditional, and the other is final and unconditional. The New Covenant requires something that can never be undone--a person chooses Christ as their Way, Truth, and Life. The old, independent life is abandoned, even if it doesn't result in perfection. It obtains Eternal Life.

The Law did no such thing. Israel was to abandon their own selfishness for following their one God alone. But under that agreement all Israel were included, and many would not succeed. Not only so, but the agreement was based on elements that were never meant to be part of the final agreement. Animal sacrifices, the priesthood, and temple worship were never intended to be part of the final agreement, but only preparatory leading to a better model of temple, priest, and sacrifice through Christ.

So the temporary laws had to go out with the preparatory plan. The animal sacrifices, the temple worship, and the priesthood had to change, along with many laws that no longer pertain to morality and spirituality that are elements eternal in our relationship with God.

So yes, morality remains a constant, since God created Man *in His image.* That doesn't change. And much of the 10 Commandments does not change, although Sabbath Law is part of the old agreement. So we can learn from the Law, but we are absolutely *not under that agreement!* That is the main point.

No, we are not under the law but under grace. However, as Paul wrote in Romans 3:31 we don't make void the law of God through faith, we establish the law. That is living a moral and holy life through Christs righteousness, because He is the righteousness of the law. In such a case the law was a schoolmaster until such time Christ came to magnify it, and explain it most perfectly.
We must note that everything Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 6, and Galatians 5 that will keep one out of the kingdom of God is also a breaking of one or more of the commandments, and as Revelation 22 says "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

So we see there is a keeping of the law and the commandments, but not being under it, and not receiving the penalty of breaking it, if we are saved.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, we are not under the law but under grace. However, as Paul wrote in Romans 3:31 we don't make void the law of God through faith, we establish the law. That is living a moral and holy life through Christs righteousness, because He is the righteousness of the law. In such a case the law was a schoolmaster until such time Christ came to magnify it, and explain it most perfectly.
We must note that everything Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 6, and Galatians 5 that will keep one out of the kingdom of God is also a breaking of one or more of the commandments, and as Revelation 22 says "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

So we see there is a keeping of the law and the commandments, but not being under it, and not receiving the penalty of breaking it, if we are saved.
I have no problem with the words "law" and "commandments" as long as you're not talking about the Law of Moses, which contained both law and rituals of law. If you say we have to keep the commandments under the Law of Moses, then you'll have to say that we have to also keep the commandments involving ritual sacrifice, etc.

So I quite agree with you that "law," as a general concept, continues in the NT. But I can't say that the specific laws of the Mosaic Law are "perfected" under the NT system. I'm not sure where you get that?

One set of laws are under one covenant, and another set of laws are under another covenant. They may have laws in common, but we must not confuse the different covenants!

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I have no problem with the words "law" and "commandments" as long as you're not talking about the Law of Moses, which contained both law and rituals of law. If you say we have to keep the commandments under the Law of Moses, then you'll have to say that we have to also keep the commandments involving ritual sacrifice, etc.

So I quite agree with you that "law," as a general concept, continues in the NT. But I can't say that the specific laws of the Mosaic Law are "perfected" under the NT system. I'm not sure where you get that?

One set of laws are under one covenant, and another set of laws are under another covenant. They may have laws in common, but we must not confuse the different covenants!

The 10 commandments were written by the finger of God, so yes, they are separate from the law of Moses. There are certain things within the writings of Moses that were not in the 10 commandments, but most certainly are applicable today because they are moral laws. The ceremonial and ritual laws are done away with. Agreed on that.

Examples : Leviticus 19:11, "Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another."
Leviticus 18:22, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." That one's reinforced by Paul in Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6.

In fact all of Leviticus 18 about "unlawful" relations, mainly dealing with incest is relevant today and even backed by medical science because of the greater chances of mutation.

As for the ceremonial law we can actually see Jesus begin to dismantle that during his earthly ministry: Mark 7:1-23 (And, granted, they had even gone beyond the law of Moses and added their own traditions too)

1 Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.

2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

14 And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 46:12-13,
"Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted, that are far from righteousness: I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry:"

"Thou shalt fear Yahweh thy God, and serve him... Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of Yahweh your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.
And thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the Lord: that it may be well with thee.
And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before Yahweh our God, as he hath commanded us."

1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

Revelation 22:4, "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

Oh, please do not say"we don't have to keep the 10 commandments" and that they are nailed to the cross. That's the wretched antinomian teaching: a false doctrine, and twisted scripture. Peter wrote referring to Paul's letters, that there "are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16)

Sin is nailed to the cross, the handwriting of ordinances is nailed to the cross: that is, the penalty or indictment of sin (Colossians 1:14), and the ceremonial and sacrificial part of the law was done away with in Christ; Him being the final and perfect sacrifice (Hebrews 9:26-28, 10:9-14), but the moral law contained in the 10 commandments was never abolished. Otherwise Jesus would have never said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15)

No! Jesus magnified the law just as prophesied: "The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable"
He spoke it more perfectly, and indeed He did magnify it and made it honorable, so that even breaking the 10 commandments in your heart and in your thoughts is sin, not just the physical commission of it.

Matthew 5:27-28,
"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Here Jesus magnified the law. In fact let's look at more from the sermon on the mount,

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:17-28)

1 John 3:13-15 confirms and clarifies some of this even further: "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

You see, some have argued that Jesus preached the sermon on the mount before His crucifixion, so He hadn't yet fulfilled the law, and He was speaking to Jews at the time; and all other manner of excuses to avoid the law, and take a detour around it. That's why 1 John is important, because John wrote that long after the crucifixion. Yet he still reiterates what Jesus spoke in Matthew 5 regarding having something against your brother.

And Paul is very clear when he is writing about faith, and is careful to clarify lest his readers think he means an abolition of the law: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31)

Rather, we keep the law now by faith, not by works, and by His righteousness: "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." (Romans 3:25-26)

That is the righteousness of God without the law, being witnessed BY THE LAW and the prophets (Romans 3:21): The gift of righteousness - "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:17)

Paul goes on to say, "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:" (Romans 6:6-8)

This is very clear: we should not serve sin. The 10 commandments point out sin, so if we keep them we are not serving sin, and if we are dead and not serving sin, we are keeping the commandments.

You might say, "well love is the commandment today." And, I will agree with that, but only from Jesus commandment on it, not the utter nonsense and blasphemy that's taught today saying you can "love" anyone you want in any way you want and it's ok because after all, it's just love.

Jesus summed up the 10 commandments in two:
"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (Matthew 22:36-40)

If you are loving God with all your heart, soul, and mind, then you will be keeping the first 4 commandments, and if you love your neighbor as yourself, you will honor your parents, you will not kill, or even hate; you will not commit adultery, or even look to lust in your heart, you won't steal, you won't covet, or lie. And right there covers all 10 commandments, which is the moral law that we are called to keep by faith, through His righteousness: for He lives through us and in us.

Anyone teaching the 10 commandments are abolished doesn't know the scriptures, and is deceived themselves, and if they are teaching others their twisted doctrine, causing others to feel comfortable sinning, they shall be held accountable for leading the brethren astray, or maybe keeping people from being saved by promoting a counterfeit salvation based on heresy and lies.

The gist of righteousness is ours to live in, as imparted unto us, imputed also unto us - Christs righteousness becomes our righteousness, not as a cloak for sin, not as a get out of hell free card, but as a daily righteousness we are to live in. Amen
Amen. The new covenant didn’t revoke the old but made it obsolete because the new can accomplish, apart from the law, what the old could not: the fulfillment of the law, the authentic righteousness of man IOW. Once thus freely justified, we must pick up our cross daily and follow, crucifying the old man, doing God’s will as best as we can by the power of the Spirit, under grace now. And this has been the teaching of ancient Christianity since the beginning. I appreciate a statement by Augustine that pertains here:
The law was given so that grace might be sought; grace was given so that the law might be fulfilled.”

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
So just what is the Gift of Christs Righteousness ?

It is first and foremost Jesus Christ Himself,

2 Corinthians 5:21,
"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

1 Corinthians 1:30,
"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:"

We have both the right standing with God through Christs atoning death on the cross, the imputed righteousness, and we have the imparted righteousness by sanctification by the Holy Spirit. That second one, the imparted righteousness is what some people struggle with, and some do not even believe in. Revelation 19:8 reveals the imparted righteousness,

"The fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

Now it's certainly not our righteousness, because on our own we are not righteous, as it is written there is none righteous, no not one; and again, all our righteousness is as filthy rags. Therefore this righteousness of which he speaks must be imparted by Christ, "put on" and then lived out. This goes beyond the imputed righteousness, that is, the right standing before God where God sees us justified and able to stand before Him because of Christs work on the cross.

I know it's all closely related, where imputed is to give one an attribute, whereas imparted is to bestow upon one. The gift of Christs righteousness I believe involves both at work in our lives, and the imputed is more passive, and the imparted is active in that we are commanded to live it daily, and it shows in our fruits and works as a natural outward manifestation of His righteousness bestowed upon us, and within us. We see the imparted righteousness also at play in 1 John 3:7, "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So just what is the Gift of Christs Righteousness ?
It can be summed up in a word: love, the gift of God to us. Love is the righteousness that the Law and the Prophets testify to (Rom 3:21), the righteousness that fulfills the law by its nature (Rom 13:10). The law is based on love and this is why the greatest commandments sum up and also fulfill the ten. And this love comes only from God, as we enter union with Him through faith. That's the life of grace, His life in us.
"And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." Rom 5:5

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
It can be summed up in a word: love, the gift of God to us. Love is the righteousness that the Law and the Prophets testify to (Rom 3:21), the righteousness that fulfills the law by its nature (Rom 13:10). The law is based on love and this is why the greatest commandments sum up and also fulfill the ten. And this love comes only from God, as we enter union with Him through faith. That's the life of grace, His life in us.
"And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." Rom 5:5

Absolutely, as love is the first mentioned in the fruits of the Spirit ...

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." (Galatians 5:22-25)

This describes the sanctified in the Spirit, which is His righteousness imparted unto us. This is what we are called to live in, and to walk in.

There are 3 parts to this portion of scripture.
1) The explanation showing what the fruits of the Spirit are.

2) That those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh. Note, it doesn't say "should" or "might" or "it would be a good idea if they did" but is an affirmative definite: HAVE crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts.

3) If we live in the Spirit, that is, if we are indeed truly in the Spirit, and the Holy Spirit dwells within us, then let us walk in the Spirit - showing a continuation as in daily walk, moment by moment. Walk, "stoicheo" in Greek is to proceed, go in order, and also to conform to virtue and piety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely, as love is the first mentioned in the fruits of the Spirit ...

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." (Galatians 5:22-25)

This describes the sanctified in the Spirit, which is His righteousness imparted unto us. This is what we are called to live in, and to walk in.

There are 3 parts to this portion of scripture.
1) The explanation showing what the fruits of the Spirit are.

2) That those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh. Note, it doesn't say "should" or "might" or "it would be a good idea if they did" but is an affirmative definite: HAVE crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts.

3) If we live in the Spirit, that is, if we are indeed truly in the Spirit, and the Holy Spirit dwells within us, then let us walk in the Spirit - showing a continuation as in daily walk, moment by moment. Walk, "stoicheo" in Greek is to proceed, go in order, and also to conform to virtue and piety.
Yes, love is really the heart and soul of the Christian faith. It's who God is and who we're to become. It's our perfection, our telos, the reason we were created and the motivation and reason behind all that Jesus did. It's to become our motivation as it's the authentic means of fulfilling the law, doing "for the least of these", and being obedient to God in general, as Adam wasn't. A teaching I've come to appreciate from a 16th century believer followed by a quote from Basil of Caesarea, a 4th century bishop:

"At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love."

“If we turn away from evil out of fear of punishment, we are in the position of slaves. If we pursue the enticement of wages, . . . we resemble mercenaries. Finally if we obey for the sake of the good itself and out of love for him who commands . . . we are in the position of children.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is first and foremost Jesus Christ Himself,

2 Corinthians 5:21,
"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

1 Corinthians 1:30,
"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:"

We have both the right standing with God through Christs atoning death on the cross, the imputed righteousness, and we have the imparted righteousness by sanctification by the Holy Spirit. That second one, the imparted righteousness is what some people struggle with, and some do not even believe in. Revelation 19:8 reveals the imparted righteousness,

"The fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

Now it's certainly not our righteousness, because on our own we are not righteous, as it is written there is none righteous, no not one; and again, all our righteousness is as filthy rags. Therefore this righteousness of which he speaks must be imparted by Christ, "put on" and then lived out. This goes beyond the imputed righteousness, that is, the right standing before God where God sees us justified and able to stand before Him because of Christs work on the cross.

I know it's all closely related, where imputed is to give one an attribute, whereas imparted is to bestow upon one. The gift of Christs righteousness I believe involves both at work in our lives, and the imputed is more passive, and the imparted is active in that we are commanded to live it daily, and it shows in our fruits and works as a natural outward manifestation of His righteousness bestowed upon us, and within us. We see the imparted righteousness also at play in 1 John 3:7, "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
Okay, I think I follow you. Is the Gift of imputed righteousness ours before we believe in Jesus ? Since He died for us before we believed in Him correct ?

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has Christ fulfilled all the Law in behalf of others ?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟326,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has Christ fulfilled all the Law in behalf of others ?
Yes, so that they might be reconciled with God, that healed union being the essence and basis of man’s own righteousness/justice, while alienation from God is the essence of his injustice. Man was made for communion with God IOW and is lost, dead, disordered if apart from Him.

Jesus did more than gain forgiveness of sin for us; He did a major “reset” in us; we’re new creations now, enabled to be who we were created to be-and we were not created to sin. With Adam man became unrighteous; with Christ man becomes righteous again (Rom 5:19). And that’s why there’s no condemnation in Him (Rom 8:1). The righteousness given as we turn to Him in faith is real, not merely or solely imputed. It’s the seed of God’s own life implanted in us.

To put it another way: we love because He’s loved us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟28,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Okay, I think I follow you. Is the Gift of imputed righteousness ours before we believe in Jesus ? Since He died for us before we believed in Him correct ?

In a sense it's there, but I'd think it's not actually ours until we "believe unto righteousness" (Romans 10:10) because we are still in our sins. However, in a sense since this was all predestined and foreordained before the foundation of the world it is there from the cross, "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
That would get into the perspective of God's time and our time, where we look at things on a linear time scale, a sequence of events unfolding one after another, whereas God sees things from an eternal perspective in which time as we know it does not exist.
Could we say that it's ours but we don't know it, and we only come to know it when we believe and receive Him?
I love the deep mysteries of God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums