✟363,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe cynodont just had characteristics of both like the platypus

Not really the same, because the bill of a platypus and the ability to lay eggs is the only thing the platypus has in connection to birds, while the cynodont had a lot more going for it. For example the skeletal structure of the head of cynodonts has a lot more connecting it to mammals than reptiles. It's not the question on characteristics, it's how those characteristics manifest themselves in the body structure.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then you explain it.

Tell us why a dog can't give birth to a cow, and I'll tell you why our alleged cousins didn't give birth to us.

If your mother was your cousin that would be some pretty severe inbreeding. On the other hand, she was an ape.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If your mother was your cousin that would be some pretty severe inbreeding. On the other hand, she was an ape.

That word ("cousin") was actually a word I used from Dawkin's video, which is one of my favorite videos.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I knew someone who’s stepfather is his uncle and his half sisters are his cousins.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But when you say "When a human was born you had to have a male and female to start the human race." That would be a fantastic example of Macro evolution. And I can entirely understand why you assume that there was a first human male and a first human female. I think anyone that is interested in Evolution, would be doing a huge disservice in fobbing you off here. It's rude and it doesn't help you A) understand evolution and B) want to participate in this "precious" thread when your valid questions are shut down so abruptly.
I never believed monkey to man. In middle school I honestly thought we were placed here by aliens maybe Star Trek shaped my worldview when I was young. I believe now that we are a species of our own and evolved through time. The questions I asked were questions that I've carried with me my whole life about monkey to man. Peace Out

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. His mother married her ex husband’s brother. He worked at the Sheriffs Department and he had the worst luck of anyone I’ve ever known.

You knew this was coming, didn't you? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never believed monkey to man. In middle school I honestly thought we were placed here by aliens maybe Star Trek shaped my worldview when I was young. I believe now that we are a species of our own and evolved through time. The questions I asked were questions that I've carried with me my whole life about monkey to man. Peace Out

Mom said the stork brought me.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The idea of humans having travelled to Earth is an interesting one.
But highly unlikely given our genetic similarities with other life on Earth. We share many genetic markers, proteins and such with our closet cousins the Chimpanzees. We are mammals just like all other mammals on Earth. I think it is highly unlikely for another life form having evolved on another planet to be convincingly close to Earth's mammals. It would be a super coincidence. Like, with astronomical odds.

Actually, it will be fascinating if scientists ever discover life somewhere else, say on Mars or on some moon around Jupiter. What would its DNA look like? Would it have the same codes e.g. A G C T or be something very different?

What does this brief excursion into genetics have to do with alien life? While it is believed that all life on our planet derives from one common ancestor, the genetic code is much more flexible and diverse than usually appreciated. The biochemistry of information transfer in an alien species would almost certainly use different building blocks and encodings, and perhaps even a different number of bases. Our genetic code is surely highly optimized for life on Earth, but I feel certain that there are many optimal solutions—perhaps some that are even better—for transferring information chemically from one generation to the next.
We, of course, cannot say what type of genetic code an alien species would use. But given that it would most likely be biochemically different, it would mostly likely be easily distinguishable from life on Earth. It may even be more different than we expect.

• Friendly
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
By the same token, an ape can't give birth to a human.
My mum's an ape and she gave birth to me, I consider myself to be human.
Every time a human is born it is born to an ape.

It would be like saying that a canine can't give birth to a Labrador, which of course happens every time a Labrador is born.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,714.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If the Creator placed parameters on evolution, then that would render macro-evolution impossible. If there's a restriction on any kind evolving outside of its kind as referenced in Genesis, then that would be why we wouldn't see a cat become a rhino, etc. Again, not that it's not possible on paper. But unless you rule out God entirely, this shouldn't really be inconceivable.

To make sure, is reference to God and scripture a no-no in this thread?
You wrote only one "if", but actually there needs to be two "ifs".
The first sentence needs to "If there is a Creator and if he placed parameters on evolution,". Before we bring a creator in the euation, lett us find out whether there is one or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,714.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If there's a restriction on any kind evolving outside of its kind as referenced in Genesis, then that would be why we wouldn't see a cat become a rhino, etc. Again, not that it's not possible on paper. But unless you rule out God entirely, this shouldn't really be inconceivable.

A cat becoming a rhino? Oh my dear, are creationists still that stupid? How many errors are the in the phrase? 200 years after Darwin creationists haven't still processed the tiniest little bit of knowledge bout what the ToE says, but they want lecture us on science?
Yes, a cat becoming a rhino is impossible, on paper and in reality. And anyone describing the ToE with these words (species can vary) is either incredible ignorant or blatantly dishonest and probably both at the same time.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟264,714.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Also,

A cat becoming a true rhino would be impossible, yes. If it became rhino-like (not I can even visualise what that sort of creature would look like) wouldn't be impossible. Improbable, but not impossible.
No Warden, a cat can't become a rhino. If nothing else, force the creationists to express themselves accurately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Of course not. But the existence of God is just not at issue in this forum. The theory of evolution (or any scientific theory, for that matter) neither affirms or denies the existence of God. As for scripture, you should keep in mind when you reference it that it is not considered scientific evidence and that people who disagree with you about its meaning are not necessarily atheists.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.