Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't have to go all the way to "science as religion" to imply that the two use similar types of thinking. I've done both and the thinking is very different.

Do you agree with Mark Twain that faith is "believing something you know ain't so"?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,452.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You don't have to go all the way to "science as religion" to imply that the two use similar types of thinking. I've done both and the thinking is very different.
Essentially opposite actually.

One of them, for example, requires time and effort.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Essentially opposite actually.

Not really.

1. Bible says x, Science says x = go with x
2. Bible says x, Science says y = go with x
3. Bible says x, Science says ø = go with x
4. Bible says ø, Science says x = go with x
5. Bible says ø, Science says ø = free to speculate on your own

Prime Directive: Under no circumstances whatsoever is the Bible to be contradicted.

Two of the principles above (1, 4) allow for science.

Science is our friend.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟726,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
having faith in something or someone isn't exclusive to religion ... having faith in something/someone don't define someone as being religious
I'm not implying anything ... just going by the definition of faith.

faith
/fāTH/
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,452.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
having faith in something or someone isn't exclusive to religion ... having faith in something/someone don't define someone as being religious

faith
/fāTH/
noun
You see no nuance in the word?

Faith in God is indistinguishable from faith the car will start?

Puppy love is precisely the same as love of
God?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Faith in God is indistinguishable from faith the car will start?

Faith is a gift from God.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟306,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

faith
/fāTH/
noun
Going for the equivocation?

I am not going to use "faith" in a non-religious context here to avoid confusing people, and everytime someone puts my actions to "faith" (other than past religious activity) I will reject that notion to avoid false equivalence. Not using "faith" in secular contexts on *THIS BOARD* avoids that confusion. I invite everyone to join me in this separation of terms to avoid confusion and use alternatives like "trust" for non-religious contexts.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,452.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I am not going to use "faith" in a non-religious context here to avoid confusing people, and everytime someone puts my actions to "faith" (other than past religious activity) I will reject that notion to avoid false equivalence. Not using "faith" in secular contexts on *THIS BOARD* avoids that confusion. I invite everyone to join me in this separation of terms to avoid confusion and use alternatives like "trust" for non-religious contexts.
Estrid on board

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟761,100.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

That makes sense.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I invite everyone to join me in this separation of terms to avoid confusion and use alternatives like "trust" for non-religious contexts.

There's no escape. ;)

1712174283347.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Because it was when Adam and Eve sinned that brought death into the world ... if evolution is believed then death was in the world before Adam & Eve were created.
Interesting theological proposition. Is that why you require a literal reading of Genesis?
If one believes the biblical account of Genesis .... evolution and creation (according to Genesis) are mutually exclusive.
So you are really concerned with a literal reading of Genesis rather than the existence of a creator God?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,452.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting theological proposition. Is that why you require a literal reading of Genesis?

So you are really concerned with a literal reading of Genesis rather than the existence of a creator God?
" Evolution is proved false by how I
choose to read the bible".

I wish people would just go straight to
the point.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
" Evolution is proved false by how I choose to read the bible".

I wish people would just go straight to the point.

You want ME to go straight to the point?

Take me off IGNORE and I'll fulfill your wish.

(On second thought, that's why you put me on IGNORE. Hmmm ...)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Join the Movement. Be like Us.

As I demonstrated with that penny, it won't work.

Attempts to separate theology from non-theology will end up with a reality check.

Gene Roddenberry initially wanted no references to God in his Star Trek series, but found out it was next to impossible.

Eventually he even ended up with this in one of his episodes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟761,100.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Join the Movement. Be like Us.

Keep your Faith, but drop your faith.
From the spiritual perspective, that's a tough thing to do when the Divine is one's reality in life.

For this forum though, I'm OK with using "trust" rather than "faith". It makes sense to me. But in the same breath, using the sun as an example, my "faith" that it comes up every morning strikes differently in me than my "trust" that it comes up each morning. My use of faith in this example is not in anyway meant in a religious content. It has more to do with inward feelings in how I experience that two. And for me when I look inward, "faith" is way more powerful of a word than is "trust".

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,452.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
From the spiritual perspective, that's a tough thing to do when the Divine is one's reality in life.

For this forum though, I'm OK with using "trust" rather than "faith". It makes sense to me. But in the same breath, using the sun as an example, my "faith" that it comes up every morning strikes differently in me than my "trust" that it comes up each morning. My use of faith in this example is not in anyway meant in a religious content. It has more to do with inward feelings in how I experience that two. And for me when I look inward, "faith" is way more powerful of a word than is "trust".
Nuances, sure.

I too feel many things with a depth that's not
described with confidence intervals.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Curious.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised when the Sun comes up in the morning. It means I'm still alive in order to see it .. there's no faith, or trust, at all there.

Same goes for when the car starts up .. except I experience respect for human engineering (and economics), both of which I know, makes that happen.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟726,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I go by the dictionary definition, words mean things and the dictionary tells us what they mean.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟726,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Jesus affirmed the book of Genesis, so yeah I take it as literal as He did.

Upvote 0