✟307,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Dictionaries record usage and the meaning
And I wasn't saying that "faith" cannot be used in a non-religious way, I just said it wasn't a good idea in certain contexts like message boards focused around a particular religion. (Like CF.) As I said before I *invite* people to *stop* using "faith" outside the religious context (Christian or otherwise) as it is confusing. The "traditional" usage for faith in a religious sense has *ZERO* context in discussions of science. When people *insist* on using "faith" to describe non-religious things in a context filled with "religion-first" thinkers, I can only assume that their *intent* is to confuse non-religion with religion and paint it (in this case science) with the broad brush of religious thinking. I take your apparent intent under advisement.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟726,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And I wasn't saying that "faith" cannot be used in a non-religious way, I just said it wasn't a good idea in certain contexts like message boards focused around a particular religion. (Like CF.) As I said before I *invite* people to *stop* using "faith" outside the religious context (Christian or otherwise) as it is confusing. The "traditional" usage for faith in a religious sense has *ZERO* context in discussions of science. When people *insist* on using "faith" to describe non-religious things in a context filled with "religion-first" thinkers, I can only assume that their *intent* is to confuse non-religion with religion and paint it (in this case science) with the broad brush of religious thinking. I take your apparent intent under advisement.
faith isn't a religious word ... it can be used to describe many things ... the context can be either religious or not. It's not confusing. It depends on the context.

If one has faith in science it's not a statement that they have a religious conviction. It simply means one has confidence and trust in the science being talked about ... and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't find it confusing.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
faith isn't a religious word ... it can be used to describe many things ... the context can be either religious or not. It's not confusing. It depends on the context.

If one has faith in science it's not a statement that they have a religious conviction. It simply means one has confidence and trust in the science being talked about ... and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't find it confusing.
Tell you what -- why don't we move on from this discussion and when you try to use faith to insinuate something about science -- I will call you out.

• Winner
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟726,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Im not confused about it .... sorry to hear you are.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Im not confused about it .... sorry to hear you are.
I'm not confused about what faith is, nor will I be if you continue to use faith in non-religious contexts. I see you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums