LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Blanton911 said:
I don't think that all bad happens just because someone didn't listen to a gut feeling or voice.
When a man deliberately harms someone,that man did not listen to a gut feeling. The man doing the harm knew he was not supposed to do what he was about to do and he ignored that inner voice.

Blanton911 said:
I know I certainly didn't have any experience that made me the least bit uncomfy when I faced bad times. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I was really excited about seeing a friend I hadn't seen in a long time and hanging out with a few others as well. It was not until this guy was sitting down next to me already having his way with me did I feel any sort of idea that something wasn't right.
I can't argue with that. But I would begin to ask God to make me more sensitve to the Holy Spirit so that next time, when He tried to warn me, I would hear it. Please don't get mad at me for saying that. It is still not your fault. It is the fault of the man your hurt you.

Blanton911 said:
I don't think God punishes you for something you did in the past either. Jesus died on the cross forgiving all our sins. God keeps no record of wrongs. He holds no grudges against us.
Of course not. I don't see anyone in here who said such a thing.

Blanton911 said:
That and the fact that I had just started going to a new church and was completely on fire for the Lord for the first time in a few months. Why would God say heh, you are coming around to me again lets do this to you. He wouldn't.
Well then, we can see that the devil saw you as a threat and it goes back to Good God and bad devil. The devils job is killing, stealing, and destroying. He tried hard. He instigated a man to accomplish it.

According to the word, when the thief is discovered then he must give back everything he stole. God has given us instruction on how to make him (the devil) do that.

Blanton911 said:
What happened to me had nothing to do with me. And I feel that is the case with a lot of bad things. The one who suffers is the one who deals with the consequences of someone else's choices and mistakes.
I believe we've all agreed on that.

Blanton911 said:
However, even if something bad did happen, I know with no doubt that God is going to turn it to something good, no great. But that doesn't mean that what happened to me is my responsibility at all.

Nobody said it was your responsibilty. I agree, God works all things together for good to those who love Him.

Upvote 0

LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal
chanterhanson said:
Thanks for that information.

My dearest Lee: Joy in Christ, Christ is Risen!

Isn't Psalm 91 used at funerals? In my Church we use Psalm 91 during the funeral to give comfort to those who mourn, but also to demonstrate our belief in everlasting life.
chanterhanson said:
Huh? Scripture is for the living, not the dead. And this scripture is not talking about life after death.

chanterhanson said:
How do you explain the birth of a special-needs child (Down's syndrome) to a godly couple?

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

I don't explain it. I can't explain it. Due to the sin of Adam we live in a fallen world.

We have a couple of children in our church who are considered "special need". We pray for those children as we would anyone else in the congregation. We speak the Word of God over them instead of the word of the human doctors who are just practicing medicine.

As a result we are seeing amazing things happen in those children's minds, hearts, and bodies. We are speaking the "hope" of a future into them instead of life as invaleds. We may see the changes slowly, but speaking life is much better than death. Ya know, words like "they'll never have a normal life". "They'll never walk". "They'll never be like other children".

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
you know, i completely understand why Psalm 91 would be used at a funeral. when you are in heaven, in the presence of God, no harm can befall you. wouldn't that help a grieving family know that their loved one is no longer suffering?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blanton911 said:
you know, i completely understand why Psalm 91 would be used at a funeral. when you are in heaven, in the presence of God, no harm can befall you. wouldn't that help a grieving family know that their loved one is no longer suffering?

My dearest joy in Christ, Blanton

Yes, that is the reason. With God in heaven there will be no pain, no sorrow, only joy everlasting.

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Blanton911 said:

But isnt it already understood that in heaven there's no evil? I understnd the aim of comforting the grieving relatives with scripture but I wouldnt use Psalms 91. Perhaps verses like "O death where is thy sting" or "to be with Christ is far better", or verses on the resurrection of the dead, etc.

Psalms 91 was written by David who was still alive and seeking the divine protection and favour of the Lord in the midst of his earthly trials -- battles against his enemies, being hunted down, etc.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blanton911 said:
but were any of the bible's passages written by dead people? if so, i would like to know it.

My dearest joy in Christ: Blanton

Christ is in our midst!

Our God is a God of the Living. Our Lord even said (somewhere) that David rejoiced to see the Day of the Lord when Christ came on this earth.

David gave a lot of comfort to Saul when he used to play psalms to soothe the rage of Saul. At that time death was feared more than now since Christ has destroyed death by His death.

I've heard some people say that funeral services are for the living and not the dead, because people can turn against God when their friends die. So it's really important for the preacher to say the right words. Psalm 91 does give comfort as do many other psalms which David wrote.

Lovingly, your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Blanton911 said:
oh I wasnt disagreeing with you by any means. I totally agree with you. I was wondering what the point of Andrew's last post was. Sorry for the confusion.

My point is simply that a person who has already gone on to be with the Lord and is in heaven having a wonderful time does not need to be told about earthly protection from evils on the earth via the reading of Psalms 91.

Even if Psalms 91 is read out at the funeral as a comforting passage for grieving relatives, its kind of out-of-place becos why would they want to hear about divine protection from earthly evils, unless of course they are afraid that what caused their loved one's death, eg SARS or a shooting, might also come on them, then yes, there is relevancy.
:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.