What's the "orthodox" view of the law of Christ?

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure, but I think the orthodox view of the moral law (i.e., the 10 commandments) is that it (the moral law) has been abolished and replaced with "the law of Christ". Is this correct?

Why do I ask?

Because I've noticed if I bring up the moral law my thread gets booted.

So, in order to appease the moderators, I would like to know the orthodox view of "the law of Christ". Then I can discuss this view and not be booted.

As to "the law of Christ" I find this phrase in Gal chapter 6:

1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. ....7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And the ironic thing is I never endeavor to place believers in Christ under the law. In fact my last thread, "not under the law?", was placed under "the Sabbath and the law".

So at best the moderators should at least read my thread before placing it elsewhere....:confused:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
James Chapter 2

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

This illustrates the difference between being under the Mosaic law and the Law of Christ or as James called it . the law of liberty .. or freedom . The difference is you get a merciful judgment if you're merciful to others . and if you are unmerciful to others your judgment will be reflective of your same judgment of others .

the difference between the law of liberty and the mosaic law is .. the mosaic law basically says you are cursed no matter what .. because if you break one point of the law .. you are responsible for violating the entire list of offenses.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure, but I think the orthodox view of the moral law (i.e., the 10 commandments) is that it (the moral law) has been abolished and replaced with "the law of Christ". Is this correct?

Why do I ask?

So, in order to appease the moderators, I would like to know the orthodox view of "the law of Christ". Then I can discuss this view and not be booted.

As to "the law of Christ" I find this phrase in Gal chapter 6:

1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. ....7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Bring it up in what forum?

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I wait for a reply I'll look more into "the law of Christ".

Jesus told His disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." [John 13:34]

In Gal chapter 5 Paul defines "the law of Christ":

13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

BTW, what were we called to be free of?

Context: Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

What is this "yoke of bondage"?

Go to Acts 15:5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, "It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses." 6 Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. ....10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."

So this yoke of bondage is the law of Moses, which included the moral law.

We were saved from it because no one is perfectly keeping the Pentateuch (the law).

So, here's my question, is the law of Christ "love one another" i.e,, "Love your neighbor as yourself"?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So, here's my question, is the law of Christ "love one another" i.e,, "Love your neighbor as yourself"?
James refers to this in contrast as "the royal law" . the law of liberty seems to be in context of the freedom given us . that we appreciate this freedom by extending it to others . and also not enslaving or burdening others to be under the old yoke .

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
....the difference between the law of liberty and the mosaic law is .. the mosaic law basically says you are cursed no matter what .. because if you break one point of the law .. you are responsible for violating the entire list of offenses.

So what is "the law of liberty"?

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
James refers to this in contrast as "the royal law" . the law of liberty seems to be in context of the freedom given us . that we appreciate this freedom by extending it to others . and also not enslaving or burdening others to be under the old yoke .

Don't really follow you. Do you mean we are free to live like we want? I need some clarity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So what is "the law of liberty"?

the law of liberty is . Christ has set you free . therefore live out of that example .

Don't really follow you. Do you mean we are free to live like we want? I need some clarity.

Romans chapter 13 expounds upon the fulfillment of the old law and in doing so advises us that love does no harm to their neighbour . this principle alone flies in the face of that assumption . no . we are not free to go destroy ourselves . but we are free to live in the freedom Christ bought for us with his own blood .

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the law of Christ appears to be what is briefly stated in that verse . to help others with their burdens .

Okay, thanks, now we can define the law of Christ.

Looking back on what you quoted:

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Okay, "do not commit adultery" and "do not murder" are two laws only. These two come from the moral law.

Here's the connect:

Ex 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. 13 "You shall not murder.14 "You shall not commit adultery.15 "You shall not steal.16 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Now, I'm back to a confused state, really....

Does "the law of Christ" borrow from the moral law?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the law of liberty is . Christ has set you free . therefore live out of that example .

From under the moral law as found in Ex 20?

Romans chapter 13 expounds upon the fulfillment of the old law and in doing so advises us that love does no harm to their neighbour .

Rom 13:9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-ahttp://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-10 and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed uphttp://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-11 in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-bhttp://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-12 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-13 ....13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness,http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-19 not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-20 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ,http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-21 and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-chttp://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/13.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-22

Okay, so the law of Christ is the last 6 commandments of the moral law?

Paul seems to agree, I think?

Go to Gal 5:14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Notice that "the entire law" is summed "love your neighbor as yourself".

Nothing about the first, four commandments from Ex 20, right?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Okay, thanks, now we can define the law of Christ.

Looking back on what you quoted:

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Okay, "do not commit adultery" and "do not murder" are two laws only. These two come from the moral law.

Here's the connect:

Ex 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. 13 "You shall not murder.14 "You shall not commit adultery.15 "You shall not steal.16 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Now, I'm back to a confused state, really....

Does "the law of Christ" borrow from the moral law?

James is contrasting the two laws to a Jewish diaspora of Christians that has been taught from birth that they're better than everyone else . he's illustrating how the new is way better . but it's your choice which one you follow .

the law of Christ is where the moral law came from initially . but it's like how it's said love your neighbour as yourself and the one like that related to loving god are the two commandments that all the law and prophets "hang" on . the Royal law of Christ, that was the apex of the moral code .. is the foundation of the new life in him . like a seed buried for many years finally sprouting and taking root .

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From under the moral law as found in Ex 20?

Rom 13:9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. ....13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14 Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Okay, so the law of Christ is the last 6 commandments of the moral law?

Paul seems to agree, I think?

Go to Gal 5:14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Notice that "the entire law" is summed "love your neighbor as yourself".

Nothing about the first, four commandments from Ex 20, right?

yeah if you love your neighbour that you have seen . then you love God who they're made in the image of .. who is unseen . as one writer in the bible put it .

Upvote 0