Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Dark Side of Oxytocin

~~~

"Nevertheless, oxytocin’s effects on social behaviour may not be modulated solely through pro-social emotions: oxytocin also enhances envy and gloating in a social game. According to research by Carsten De Dreu:

Human ethnocentrism—the tendency to view one's group as centrally important and superior to other groups—creates intergroup bias that fuels prejudice, xenophobia, and intergroup violence. Grounded in the idea that ethnocentrism also facilitates within-group trust, co-operation, and co-ordination, we conjecture that ethnocentrism may be modulated by brain oxytocin, a peptide shown to promote co-operation among in-group members. … Results show that oxytocin creates intergroup bias because oxytocin motivates in-group favoritism and, to a lesser extent, out-group derogation. These findings call into question the view of oxytocin as an indiscriminate “love drug” or “cuddle chemical” and suggest that oxytocin has a role in the emergence of intergroup conflict and violence.

Indeed, in another study de De Dreu reports

the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled experiment showing that the hormone oxytocin promotes group-serving dishonesty. Compared with participants receiving placebo, participants receiving oxytocin lied more to benefit their groups, did so quicker, and did so without expectation of reciprocal dishonesty from their group members. A control setting ruled out that oxytocin drives self-serving dishonesty. These findings support the functional approach to morality and reveal the underlying biological circuitries associated with group-serving dishonesty."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
~sigh~ ever since I started going to twitter I am forced into reading interesting articles.

Friedrich Nietzsche: The truth is terrible – TheTLS

In Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche envisioned such a culture, one dominated by those he called “the last men”, who know nothing of “love” or “creation” or “longing”, who are unable to “despise” themselves because of their “wretched contentment” while wallowing in their own mediocrity. The last man “knows everything that has ever happened: so there is no end of derision”. “Everybody wants the same, everybody is the same: whoever feels different goes voluntarily into a madhouse.” “We have invented happiness”, say the last men, “and they blink.”

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The Dark Side of Oxytocin

~~~

"Nevertheless, oxytocin’s effects on social behaviour may not be modulated solely through pro-social emotions: oxytocin also enhances envy and gloating in a social game. According to research by Carsten De Dreu:

Human ethnocentrism—the tendency to view one's group as centrally important and superior to other groups—creates intergroup bias that fuels prejudice, xenophobia, and intergroup violence. Grounded in the idea that ethnocentrism also facilitates within-group trust, co-operation, and co-ordination, we conjecture that ethnocentrism may be modulated by brain oxytocin, a peptide shown to promote co-operation among in-group members. … Results show that oxytocin creates intergroup bias because oxytocin motivates in-group favoritism and, to a lesser extent, out-group derogation. These findings call into question the view of oxytocin as an indiscriminate “love drug” or “cuddle chemical” and suggest that oxytocin has a role in the emergence of intergroup conflict and violence.

Indeed, in another study de De Dreu reports

the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled experiment showing that the hormone oxytocin promotes group-serving dishonesty. Compared with participants receiving placebo, participants receiving oxytocin lied more to benefit their groups, did so quicker, and did so without expectation of reciprocal dishonesty from their group members. A control setting ruled out that oxytocin drives self-serving dishonesty. These findings support the functional approach to morality and reveal the underlying biological circuitries associated with group-serving dishonesty."

Out of curiosity, why would this subject be of interest to you? As a woman and a postpartum nurse, I associate oxytocin with pain...I can see how it would cause a person to become antisocial as a natural way to protect your immediate family.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Out of curiosity, why would this subject be of interest to you? As a woman and a postpartum nurse, I associate oxytocin with pain...I can see how it would cause a person to become antisocial as a natural way to protect your immediate family.

it's nice seeing science prove what we all already experience and I like what science is doing for the christian understanding of how the flesh works.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure what you mean.

the flesh without the circumcision of the heart is evil, even the components of things like compassion.

Col 2:11 (ASV)
in whom ye were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ;

Col 2:13 (ASV)
And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses;

Phil 3:3 (ASV)
for we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God, and glory in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh:

Eph 2:3 (ASV)
among whom we also all once lived in the lusts of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:—

Gal 6:8 (ASV)
For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

Gal 5:19-21 (ASV)
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:24 (ASV)
And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof.

ect.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
the flesh without the circumcision of the heart is evil, even the components of things like compassion.

Col 2:11 (ASV)
in whom ye were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ;

Col 2:13 (ASV)
And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses;

Phil 3:3 (ASV)
for we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God, and glory in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh:

Eph 2:3 (ASV)
among whom we also all once lived in the lusts of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:—

Gal 6:8 (ASV)
For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

Gal 5:19-21 (ASV)
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:24 (ASV)
And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof.

ect.

That isn't exactly what these studies say. They say that when oxytocin is released, we tend to get a bit selfish, guarded, and potentially a bit aggressive....which would be like when a mother gives birth or is nursing and that "momma-bear" protect her baby from everything around her instinct kicks in .... or when it is releases via a cuddle session that you get very protective of those you are closest too...so the man's "protect his family" instinct kicks in. This doesn't go away with conversion to Christianity or prayer but is a trait of all humans. It isn't a bad trait but a preserve the family unit trait.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That isn't exactly what these studies say. They say that when oxytocin is released, we tend to get a bit selfish, guarded, and potentially a bit aggressive....which would be like when a mother gives birth or is nursing and that "momma-bear" protect her baby from everything around her instinct kicks in .... or when it is releases via a cuddle session that you get very protective of those you are closest too...so the man's "protect his family" instinct kicks in. This doesn't go away with conversion to Christianity or prayer but is a trait of all humans. It isn't a bad trait but a preserve the family unit trait.

the point i'm trying to make is that it's not good to be a mere "flesh muppet". humanity is good but being a beast is bad. the "perverse the family" trait has murdered countless people that did not deserve it and that is obviously not acceptable behavior. it's not so much about the traits as it is about what is utilizing the traits, which is why:

Eph 6:10-12 (ASV)
Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

it's funny that we get oxytocin when we stare at our pet dogs eyes.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
the point i'm trying to make is that it's not good to be a mere "flesh muppet". humanity is good but being a beast is bad. the "perverse the family" trait has murdered countless people that did not deserve it and that is obviously not acceptable behavior. it's not so much about the traits as it is about what is utilizing the traits, which is why:

Eph 6:10-12 (ASV)
Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

it's funny that we get oxytocin when we stare at our pet dogs eyes.

How long do you think the hormone oxytocin lasts in our bodies? Except for woman in labor or a lactating mother, it isn't just dumping into our bodies for the most part. It is associated with cuddling time. I don't see many people get up from a cuddle session and run out and start a war. And I am not sure how it acts on a man's body, but it cause a woman's uterus to cramp something seriously. There is no "going to war"... a woman in labor often needs narcotics to function.

It is the hormone of giving birth...not wickedness or starting wars. In men, it is a minute hormone primarily secreted during sex...it is considered a bonding hormone. Women have it at much higher levels than men.

I would also argue that it argues the opposite of what you are saying and that humans are somewhat controlled by naturally occurring (and God designed) hormones that do control our emotional state. That we are slightly emotional puppets to our body chemistry.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How long do you think the hormone oxytocin lasts in our bodies? Except for woman in labor or a lactating mother, it isn't just dumping into our bodies for the most part. It is associated with cuddling time. I don't see many people get up from a cuddle session and run out and start a war. And I am not sure how it acts on a man's body, but it cause a woman's uterus to cramp something seriously. There is no "going to war"... a woman in labor often needs narcotics to function.

It is the hormone of giving birth...not wickedness or starting wars. In men, it is a minute hormone primarily secreted during sex...it is considered a bonding hormone. Women have it at much higher levels than men.

bonding to people makes you favor them. sometimes that leads them to do evil to others. it triggers envy, envy can lead to evil. oxytocin has lasting effects and so saying that it only last for a short while does not matter because the point is that it sculpts how we are. it's a natural process. natural processes can lead to good or evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
oxytocin is not some thing of it's own. it's part of the totality of what humans biologically are. it's good to know the mechanisms in us and how strong of an influence they are on us. to merely depend on them alone is a danger as well, which is why we have to cultivate spiritual life in us because what is salvation but to be like God?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I think oxytocin was put by God in mothers to bond them to their babies and husband; and in men to bond them to their wives. It is our sin nature that makes us behave sinfully. I have never seen a laboring woman who has lots oxytocin being made by her body as well as being pumped into veins ever behave sinfullly...they all hyperfocus on giving birth and they are bonded to their baby before it even takes its first breath. Come to think of it, I suspect that the overload of oxytocin also affects the baby because they come out of the birth uterus knowing who mamma is and bond on first site...not to anyone (even if the first people they see are nurses and doctors) but they look with adoration to their mothers. It is quite amazing to watch. True beauty.

I do not quite get how you can equate something that God made and was "good" and that is why they can be depended on without understand them. To believe that we can ever understand the complete nuances of the intricate being that God created or to believe that we need to to be close to God would be a problem. Uneducated woman as well as the most educated give birth the same way....by experiencing it. To try to control it is actually the worst thing...maybe because you are trying to short circuit something God has hardwired people to need. I think that God opens some understanding to allow us to help people through medicine and also be humbled by how much we really don't understand. I think how oxytocin works is actually evidence that a supreme Creator exists.

However, I will end this. I really was curious why someone would really find oxytocin fascinating enough to read a Psych Central article on it. I often have my mother's beg to complete their infusion because it does cause additional pain as it cause the uterus to cramp back down to pre-pregnancy size.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Forty-Five Things I Learned in the Gulag

https://t.co/DsbsvLmMGj

1. The extreme fragility of human culture, civilization. A man becomes a beast in three weeks, given heavy labor, cold, hunger, and beatings.

5. I realized that Stalin’s “victories” were due to his killing the innocent—an organization a tenth the size would have swept Stalin away in two days.

6. I realized that humans were human because they were physically stronger and clung to life more than any other animal: no horse can survive work in the Far North.

7. I saw that the only group of people able to preserve a minimum of humanity in conditions of starvation and abuse were the religious believers, the sectarians (almost all of them), and most priests.

8. Party workers and the military are the first to fall apart and do so most easily.

22. I saw that women are more decent and self-sacrificing than men: in Kolyma there were no cases of a husband following his wife. But wives would come, many of them (Faina Rabinovich, Krivoshei’s wife).

28. The passion for power, to be able to kill at will, is great—from top bosses to the rank-and-file guards (Seroshapka and similar men).

30. I discovered that the world should be divided not into good and bad people but into cowards and non-cowards. Ninety-five percent of cowards are capable of the vilest things, lethal things, at the mildest threat.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just finished a book called, "Lincoln on Leadership". It details a little on how Honest Abe lead the country during his tenure in office. I don't think America will ever have a man in the white house as fascinating as Lincoln. He was definitely one of a kind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
More attractive women get bigger engagement rings, and more unattractive men buy them

https://t.co/Dm5rkvXkms

The results indicate that men would get bigger, costlier rocks if they were to be paired with an attractive woman. This finding also supports previous studies that showed men using symbols of financial achievement to attract mates, explains the press release for the study.

In their turn, women would want larger rings if their partners weren’t so good-looking. Interestingly, women who thought themselves physically attractive were more likely to expect and get more expensive rings, no matter what their partners’ looks.

"The finding is consistent with the notion that desirable women expect greater resource investment from their mates," pointed out Taylor.

Upvote 0

name_is_irrelevant

Jun 16, 2018
Farton
✟6,276.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
fiction, nonfiction, book, magazine, newspaper- what are you reading today? and is it in paper form, "e reader", or on the Internet?

Eloquent Javascript. Profoundly moving stuff, the section on higher-order functions is a real tear jerker.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ethics and Issues in Contemporary Nursing. It's a thriller.

Can't wait until this semester is over and I have a little more time to read the pile of books I have waiting for me.
Does it pose hypothetical scenarios that people in that profession might come across? If so, what's the oddest predicament and appropriate response they give?

Upvote 0